Would the EU survive brexit

Caporegime
I'll put this in a new thread as the other just rolls around the same uk issues over and over but for this thread i think we should look at rhe other side of the coin.

What will be the effect on the EU of the uk leaving?

Do you think it will remain together, or start a domino effect.

Permabanned
In the short term I think it would remain as it is, long term, depending on how the UK performs it could be the beginning of a breakup.

The EU is terrified of the later.

Soldato
Spain would want to leave. And it's just conceivable that it might though I think it would remain. Either way, I think the EU would roll on in this hypothetical. The UK has always had a one-foot-in-one-foot-out relationship with the EU.

Caporegime
UK won't leave so don't matter. Sweden's media is afraid UK leaves cos I think opinion here is overall same as UK. With similar deals and lack of own border control. It will survive .

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It'll survive and get stronger when member states see how ****** up and a **** hole the UK becomes when it leaves.

Permabanned
From the horse's mouth and a view I agree with, the EU is in its death throws, and Nationalism will become prevalent with rigid border controls, and member states becoming far more autonomous prior to its total break up. A UK referendum result citing leave may act as a mild catalyst, but the migration crisis is worsening and it will have a far greater impact than our leaving.

"THE European Union is at risk of falling apart over the next 10-years due to the migrant crisis, the head of the European Parliament suggested.
The EU could crumble in just a decade, Mr Schulz said
He was responding to a recent warning from Jean Asselborn, Luxembourg's foreign affairs and migration minister, the union might break apart.
No one can say whether the EU will still exist in this form in 10-years' time.
"If we want that then we need to fight very hard for it."
He did not specify what exactly was threatening the EU but focused heavily on the migrant crisis, which has stretched Europe's unity and many of its member countries' tolerance this year.
The European Parliament head said the EU was not without alternatives and "could have course be reversed".
He warned other options included a removal of the free-movement Schengen zone to a Europe in which nationalism, borders and walls were prevalent."

Soldato
This article has a lot of good info:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/09/how-brexit-could-lead-to-other-eu-countries-following-the-uk-out/

In the Ipsos Mori survey, more than 50 per cent of French and Italian citizens wanting a vote on the union and half of those asked believed that if Britain left the EU, there would be a domino effect with other countries following its exit.

A third of those asked said they would vote to leave the union if a referendum was held now with 48 and 41 per cent of Italian and French respondents saying they would vote to leave.

I think there is less stomach for leaving for those central EU countries, however the one thing that could change this would be migration and a lack of border control.

For me they could easily ensure the EU still existed in 10 years. They just have to refocus on it being a trading union and drop all of the meddling that impacts other areas of peoples lives.

Last edited:
Associate
Wasn't it only a few months ago that Cameron said he was prepared for us to leave the EU if we didn't get the deal he wanted?

So how come it's now virtually an apocalypse if we decide to leave? :confused:

Soldato
Wasn't it only a few months ago that Cameron said he was prepared for us to leave the EU if we didn't get the deal he wanted?

I completely have no faith in our PM or the past two for a fact,,they are all as useless as each other,Every decision they make or want to impose only hurts the working man,and they make it seem like they're giving you the world.

I hope we get out of the EU..sod Cameron off and put someone in charge who actually cares about the country's regular working man and not just the rich businessmen s pockets (and his)

Man of Honour

So how come it's now virtually an apocalypse if we decide to leave? :confused:

yes, then he came back with no deals in place, just a "hmm, we'l think about"
and he then declared it a huge success..
he's weak, im out.

Back
Top Bottom