Would the EU survive brexit

Permabanned
IDS has reignited the claim Merkel vetoed the salient parts of Cameron's immigration speech at the last minute, so it's probably true Germany wields a huge and undemocratic amount of clout in the EU.

With desperate attempts to stifle law and order in member countries the EU is advancing its own downfall in sheer desperation to continue to survive:

"Last night it was claimed that Mr Cameron has since pleaded with Mrs Merkel to stay out of the referendum campaign. No 10 is said to fear any intervention on her behalf in favour of Remain could backfire and push people toward Brexit.

Meanwhile, the Council of Europe has warned that doctors, teachers, social workers and landlords should not report illegal immigrants to the Home Office because it would breach their human rights.

Its guidelines said ‘firewalls’ should be created to prevent them sharing with the immigration authorities details about failed asylum seekers or those who have sneaked in unlawfully.

If adopted, the recommendations would make it much more difficult for immigration enforcement teams to track down and remove illegals.
There has been little love lost between IDS and Sir John since, as a backbencher in the early 1990s, Mr Duncan Smith was one of a group of rebels who fought a long parliamentary campaign against the Major government's decision to sign up to the Maastricht Treaty

Analysts believe more than a million foreigners are here unlawfully. Measures introduced by the Government mean anyone accessing education, hospitals, social services, housing or work must have their immigration status checked.

Landlords who fail to check whether they are renting to illegal immigrants could face five years in jail and firms who employ illegals can be fined up to £2,000 a person.

But the anti-discrimination panel of the Council of Europe, the 47-nation parent body of the European Court of Human Rights, said yesterday that this would violate human rights laws.

A Home Office spokesman said: ‘The Home Office would not accept or support any recommendation which would bar public officials or private service providers from reporting suspected illegal immigrants.

‘There are specific arrangements in place for the Home Office to be notified where illegal immigrants seek access to benefits or local authority social services.’ "

Such discouragement to individuals and associations from reporting illegals is typical of an EU already in arm flailing, desperate freefall. Britain's exit isn't needed for it to crash into the ground.

Soldato
They didn't manage it in 2 world wars... But they've managed to conquer Europe through politics with no army!

That's why the "EU has prevented another war in Europe" argument is so silly.

If anything it's because the country responsible for the two major pan-European conflicts have been given what they were fighting for, control of Europe.

Permabanned
I'm voting Leave, one of the reasons is I think the EU will collapse eventually regardless of whether we're in it or not - because it is corrupt - the further we get from it the better we can restrict the effect that collapse has on us.

Associate
That's why the "EU has prevented another war in Europe" argument is so silly.

If anything it's because the country responsible for the two major pan-European conflicts have been given what they were fighting for, control of Europe.

It can easily be argued that Germany wasn't responsible for WWI and WWII was a result on the unfair sanctions post WWI.

Voting in, call me a crazy progressive thinker, the world's getting smaller, we should be removing borders not making new ones.

And on topic, the EU will be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
UK will be better for it imo. they can focus on improving the country instead of being forced to help other countries in the EU who has no contribution to the EU itself

Suspended
People have a very simplistic view of the World.

It isn't the 1970's, we live in an age of Globalisation. Cutting ourselves away from the EU won't improve this country in any way.

Associate
People have a very simplistic view of the World.

It isn't the 1970's, we live in an age of Globalisation. Cutting ourselves away from the EU won't improve this country in any way.

Not wanting to derail the thread though I feel it may have already been done.....Shouldn't we be thinking globally then instead of with our nearest trading block?

Soldato
"For things to change, it must be first be torn down"

The EU is broken, corrupt, which is not what why it was created. I've not idea if leaving is a good or a bad thing for us or the EU, but things won't change if we don't change.

Lots of countries are thinking the same thing, maybe the EU should die so that a better version can be reborn learning from the mistakes of the past. Cost efficient, working in the best interest of its people and towards the benefit of everyone.

Isn't that a nice dream, an EU 2.0.

Associate

The EU is broken, corrupt, which is not what why it was created. I've not idea if leaving is a good or a bad thing for us or the EU, but things won't change if we don't change.

Lots of countries are thinking the same thing, maybe the EU should die so that a better version can be reborn learning from the mistakes of the past. Cost efficient, working in the best interest of its people and towards the benefit of everyone.

I completely agree with you there. I personally think it'll be much better once we change

Associate

Rising up from the ashes.

Back
Top Bottom