Would the EU survive brexit

Associate
Because they are World superpowers.

We are a small Island nation with dwindling manufacturing industries.

Your selling us short. We would do just fine and already have the best start to do this of any EU country not being in the Euro.

If we vote to stay the risk is immediate, how many more bailouts, how much more democracy will get eaten away, how many more unstable countries will be joining the block.

Associate
This is a very emotionally led issue - which I completely understand as I'm rather sick of immigration from dodgy places as well, though it's worth noting that even an exit wouldn't stop this as we would most likely have to agree to free movement as part of a trade deal. However the short answer is that even if UK industry could technically survive without the EU and I don't think it could - the uncertainty alone would shut down the economy due to a lack of investment, lack of credit and therefore lack of employment.

While I agree the EU is a disastrous incarnation in and of itself and needs major reform (and frankly a federal state isn't what people voted for in 75) the idea that the UK can or should stand alone when the rest of the world is congregating into regional markets is a fabled dream.

Exit is just not an option if we want to keep our jobs, our house values, our mortgages etc. I think once we get past the emotional gratification of telling the EU to do one, we'll see that we're actually cutting our noses off to spite our faces, sadly.

Just my opinion of course, as unpopular as it may be on these forums :p

Caporegime
If we do well I think it will cause a domino effect
It can't survive in its present form if too many net contributors leave

If we suffer out. It will probably survive

I want to know! Out for me!

Soldato
Domino effect. I think quite a few people in other member states will start asking for referendums. The EU might survive, but it has to change direction.
I doubt the UK will be allowed to leave, no matter what the result of the vote is.

Soldato
It could go many ways. I think all the peoples in the UK would be better off long term, but the political landscape in the UK and the continent would change drastically.

How successful trade negotiations are with the EU in the UK could trigger Switzerland and Norway to reassess their relationship with the EU as well, Switzerland in particular, which has unique concerns around immigration, temporary workers, and independence of its finance system, as well as a historically unique approach to defence.

If Scotland has a strong remain vote, a second referendum is inevitable, and likely to be successful this time. This would trigger fresh independence across the EU, notably in Catalonia, which if successful may trigger the same in Basque and Galcia.

Calls for EU exits in Greece, the Netherlands, and the Czech Republic would grow extremely strong, and may well see exits. If any of these were to happen it would certainly trigger some sort of structural reform of the EU, how that reform would happen is impossible to predict.

Such a reform may bring up the Irish issue again, with Ireland stuck in an EU reforming itself away from traditionally British interests, but still having the UK has its largest trading partner by some margin.

EU expansion to the east would come to a dead standstill for a decade or more as these issues are resolved, which I think is a good thing.

It is my hope that these things will weaken the EU as a supranational state with ambitious assimilation ambitions, and it will become an association of co-operating nation states, which I believe is better for democracy, personal freedoms, peaceful foreign policies, and entrepreneurship.

Associate
For me, I'm out. For many reasons, however let's just look at other countries within the European region that are not part of the EU, namely; Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. Are these countries cut off from the rest of the world with poor prospects? Are they missing out by not being in the EU?

The answer is no, they have their own agreements on trade and immigration and seem to be doing just fine, so why can't we?

Just look at any studies into the happiest or most prosperous countries to live and these are always at the top.

Associate
Wish we had the option to "try before you buy" and see what difference it makes if we were to leave. We are essentially being given a yes/no vote on something no one actually knows the facts on and how it will effect anyone, least of all the politition and campaigners.

Things are very different in the real world than they are on paper.

Personally, as one of the few island members of the EU I think they already see us as outsiders and as such, won't bother the mainland much.

Soldato
How can people expect we will both get a good deal AND that the eu survives brexit?

With all the anti EU movements popping up across Europe, the most damaging thing for the EU would be to give the UK a decent deal.

Suspended
let's just look at other countries within the European region that are not part of the EU, namely; Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Just look at any studies into the happiest or most prosperous countries to live and these are always at the top.

Norway, Switzerland and Iceland all have a higher suicide rate than the UK

Back
Top Bottom