Would this be a stupid first bike?

Soldato
OP
Great first bike. It's what my missus bought when she passed her test. I bought a ZXR6R as my first bike. There only as quick as you want them to be. Awesome handling and great stoppers.

I'm led to believe its not just about top speed. They all do 140mph+. Which will do more than kill you.

Gear changes, sharper handling, more lean etc. I don't think jumping on a track bike would be that smart as a novice rider. I've grown attached to my limbs over the years, no pun intended!

I'd imagine it'd be like jumping into a Lamborghini after passing your driving test, yes it will only go as fast as you push the pedal, but your a lot more likely to mangle it.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love a ZX6-R

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice, especially the differences on the f sport.

It's costing me an extra 400 quid to insure the f sport over the standard, I will also be carrying a pillion, so the better seat on the f seems like the better option. Easier for a beginner, better seat and cheaper insurance.

Would a thundercat be a good buy? Is it similar to the 600f?

Is this a good buy? http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-cbr600f-excellent-condition/105492287

Cheers again! My budget is £2k btw.

Soldato
OP
I used to have a CBR600F. Used it for daily commute, and ride outs with mates at the weekend. All round good design, engine is bullet proof, and can be ridden as slow or hard as you like.

Cost me ~ £200 tpft insurance including legal cover, saying that I was over 30 when I had it :p

£550 for me... I'm 22 pfft! I get a third off train tickets, so has its advantages!

Soldato
OP
I literally have that exact same bike and other than the fact it's a little quiet it's been great. Seat is quite comfy, good mpg, pretty quick when pushed, handles really well now she's got new tyres on her and looks great in black imo.

edit: also I paid 2.2k for mine so that's a good deal :)

Excellent, thanks for the advice. Is yours an 01?

Soldato
OP
If you go 600F, mine is a 1999 Carb model and it's fantastic, pulls like a steam train, any of these with 100+ BHP will shift like billy o'... and you can get the FX/FY models from £1500 onwards for solid clean examples... I prefer the older "none fox" front on mine than that later Fi models from 2001 onwards... but that's just me. Plus I love carbs lol.

Sorry, I don't know any bike speak yet? Carberators? Carbs? Fx/fy? Fox?

Is there an advantage for looking for an 01 over an 00 plate?

Soldato
OP
Personally, I don't understand why they let learners on anything bigger than a 125. They didn't in my day (now I feel old :)). You should get to learn to ride properly and have some experience before they let you on larger cc bikes.

It's also a nice feeling and gives you something to look forward to going from something relatively small to something with a bit more power. Always used to make me smile when I got a bigger bike :)

Do you mean besides learning on a 500CC and passing both tests on a 500C? Surely that's enough to be granted access to big bikes? It's not like I'm learning I'm sitting my test on a 125cc.

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, your doing the full blown DAS, no probs then ignore my last post lol.

About the 2 bikes your looking at, see if you can go sit on them and judge which feels right, its what i'll be doing next year. As i have a shortlist of like 5 bikes i like, but not even gonna bother checking for real until i have my license + money for them.

I've passed my mod1 and at test standard and ready for mod2 just waiting on good date within the next month or so.

I've also got the cash waiting. This is why I'm now looking, I was the same.

I like the look of the thundercat. Seems to get good reviews and was recommended by my instructor.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/yamaha-yzf-600-r-thundercat/109325773

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, your doing the full blown DAS, no probs then ignore my last post lol.

About the 2 bikes your looking at, see if you can go sit on them and judge which feels right, its what i'll be doing next year. As i have a shortlist of like 5 bikes i like, but not even gonna bother checking for real until i have my license + money for them.

I've passed my mod1 and at test standard and ready for mod2 just waiting on good date within the next month or so.

I've also got the cash waiting. This is why I'm now looking, I was the same.

I like the look of the thundercat. Seems to get good reviews and was recommended by my instructor.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/yamaha-yzf-600-r-thundercat/109325773

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
The problems don't necessarily lie just in the power.

I'd be more concerned with the handling of the bike, the early R6's had a massive problem with light steering and knee slaps. I know experienced riders that won't go near them because of that twitchy front end, never mind someone who has NO experienced.

Exactly... A Lamborghini won't drive the same as a corsa or a fiesta. It's not just speed.

I think it's safe to say I'd be unnecessarily risking injury jumping onto a track bred bike as my first.

I'm off to see this on Sunday afternoon, seems a great deal to me and a nice enough looking bike. They're a bit cheaper than the Hondas and I've been told that's simply down to the badge, not the bike. MCN also gives it a good write up and looks comfy for two.

Here it is.

Taking my riding instructor with me, he's going to look it over and test it out. I wouldn't have a clue what to look for.

Soldato
OP
I really didn't like the throttle feel and the engine braking. It was always either on or off with no happy medium. The slightest of bumps on a road could upset it so trying to hold a steady throttle round a bend was a nightmare.

Since then I've had an FZ6, ER5, GS500, ZX6R and also rode plenty of other bikes and none were like the SV. I guess some people just don't get on with V twins.

Sounds as if it was broken haha.

Soldato
OP
Went to view a black 1998 thundercat today. 12k on the clock and took my instructor along. He confirmed it was mechanically fine.

There is a few scuffs on the plastic and a bit of surface rust round some of the bits and bobs. This puts me off a little.

It's been kept in a garage and the owner seemed a nice sensible guy. It's listed at £1700.

Thoughts or advice please?

Soldato
OP
£1700 seems a bit steep for a 14 year old bike, the only thing in its favor is the mileage is relatively low for the age. It's really down to if you like the bike or not, in my experience the two bikes I've bought I've known I wanted them when I saw them!

I agree. What would you say would be a sensible offer to make on said bike. 1998, few scuffs, needs MOT. Aftermarket exhaust however and comes with original.

Back
Top Bottom