Would you purchase an ex rental car?

Associate
Have been reading up on this and quite a few people do indeed seem to think that ex hire cars are ok to buy, some would even argue still that they are better due to being expected regularly, serviced etc.

Some would argue that they may have been thrashed, smart repaired numerous times and to avoid.

I suppose 2nd hand is a minefield overall as you just dont know what you are getting.

The deal im talking about like for like, if it was from an approved BMW dealer would most likely be another 3 - 4k in total. Its an auto without the paddles so rules out massive damage to the clutch I suppose.

Oh, and the one I was going to buy from the approved dealer was sold yesterday!!!!!
As stated personally i wouldn't but as per the details above and if was in your shoes. A saving of 3-4k just because its ex rental then yes I could see the sense in taking it over the dealer equivalent. provided the service history was in order.

Associate
OP
As stated personally i wouldn't but as per the details above and if was in your shoes. A saving of 3-4k just because its ex rental then yes I could see the sense in taking it over the dealer equivalent. provided the service history was in order.
I contacted BMW direct and the car is known to them and confirmed the mileage and date serviced along with confirming its a UK car.

So miles covered and service history has been confirmed meaning the 20+ months warranty with BMW will be intact.

Car is near by to me, at present the only one with the spec (actually bit over what I require) / colour etc within my budget. I have looked at the car and there were a few scratches etc (I suppose to be expected with a hire car) but they seem confident they will put the majority right. Did have a flat back tyre though! So no test drive as yet. Very dubious about the whole thing to be honest.

Still looking around at the moment, may have to wait until one comes available from a approved dealer.

Soldato
Literally hundred of thousands of nearly-new ex-rental cars hit the market each year and you dont hear of many issues. They can be good buys. Ideally you want one that's been through a proper refurb process.

The fact that a few petrolheads on a car forum have trashed rental cars in the past does not mean that all rental cars should be avoided. :)

Associate
There is no guarantee that an ex rental vehicle has been treated with respect, however the same goes for non ex rental vehicles. Not everyone looks after their car just because they have bought it with their own money.

Associate
I contacted BMW direct and the car is known to them and confirmed the mileage and date serviced along with confirming its a UK car.

So miles covered and service history has been confirmed meaning the 20+ months warranty with BMW will be intact.

Car is near by to me, at present the only one with the spec (actually bit over what I require) / colour etc within my budget. I have looked at the car and there were a few scratches etc (I suppose to be expected with a hire car) but they seem confident they will put the majority right. Did have a flat back tyre though! So no test drive as yet. Very dubious about the whole thing to be honest.

Still looking around at the moment, may have to wait until one comes available from a approved dealer.

I would keep looking around and go back to them to test drive once the tyre is sorted and scratches are fixed. If your in no rush then play the waiting game for a bit. thats my thoughts anyway

Associate
There is no guarantee that an ex rental vehicle has been treated with respect, however the same goes for non ex rental vehicles. Not everyone looks after their car just because they have bought it with their own money.
too true i bet some were in better nick than some of the second hand cars I have bought in the past ha

Soldato
Most people don't thrash rental cars, they just drive them normally.
Obviously you get the occasional boy racer but generally people just want to get from a to b .

That said a flat tyre and a few scratches would be dodgy, is it from a large company?

Soldato
I've owned several ex-rental cars. No issues with any of them.

Nobody could possibly have driven them harder than I have on occasion anyway. In any case, most people are careful with rental cars because the damage fees are so punitive.

I'd rather have a rental car than something that has been a company a pool car.

Soldato
If I was hiring an M series BMW and paying the premium it would be to see what I could do with it and to enjoy the cars power. So I'd expect the car has had a very hard life up to now!

Back
Top Bottom