Would you purchase an ex rental car?

Soldato
no difference if you buy any cars with no service history ie from auction.

as long the car have been servicing properly and looked after.

Soldato
The Mazda 3 2.2D 185 was a lease car.

I had to buy a new clutch and dmf for it at 40k, and based off the gearbox whine and dead suspension I think it definitely had a hard life.

So no... Would never buy an ex rental or ex lease car

Soldato
The Mazda 3 2.2D 185 was a lease car.

I had to buy a new clutch and dmf for it at 40k, and based off the gearbox whine and dead suspension I think it definitely had a hard life.

So no... Would never buy an ex rental or ex lease car

Nothing to do with the remap taking torque passed the clutch and likely the gearbox limits ?

Soldato
As per the title.

Looking round to buy a 3 series M Sport at the moment.

I have looked at a well priced 320d x drive msport with quite a few options on top. However it is from a car supermarket (I have always bought from main dealers previously) and after a bit of investigation it turns out to be an ex hire car.

Its less than 2 years old (so balance of bmw warranty on it) and has just been serviced at BMW. There are a few cosmetic marks but have been assured they can make good.

So the question is two fold really

Would you buy an ex hire car?

Would you buy from a car supermarket?
Depends on age and mileage.

9 months and 10k? Yes.
2 years and 40k? Nope.

For every person that drives it like they stole it there will be ten who just treat it like their own.

Caporegime
Do hertz and co actually buy most of their cars or lease them themselves? I’d be surprised if most don’t service them properly as that would affect resale, which again presumably is fairly important considering the quick turnover of most rental vehicles.

Soldato
Do hertz and co actually buy most of their cars or lease them themselves? I’d be surprised if most don’t service them properly as that would affect resale, which again presumably is fairly important considering the quick turnover of most rental vehicles.
I would imagine that most don't even hit the first service interval before they move them on.

Soldato
The big hire companies buy them at a very substantial discount off list prices, they get the 20% VAT straight back so the cars actually stand them a lot less value than list price on their accounts.

They are usually required to retain vehicles for a minimum of 6 months. They then aim to sell them for what the vehicle stands them, plus VAT. If they've bought well, sometimes they'll turn a profit.

It's suits the manufacturers because they can offload stock - production is not infinitely variable in the short term because as one example you've got engine plants geared up to produce certain numbers of engines and they don't have space to hold stock so it's cheaper to move them to the factories, put them in a car and sell it to a rental fleet at a discount.

There's not as much excess production these days as there was 10 - 15 years ago when the volume manufacturers would work out how many cars a factory could build and then run at capacity and worry about selling them later. I've noticed rental companies are keeping cars longer than they used to which probably reflects the reduced supply.

Back
Top Bottom