WoW Legacy Server (if only)

Associate
The Nostalrius/Elysium servers will return Saturday 17th December.

Anyone going to be playing? Thinking I might roll a new character witht he intention of playing very casually... Mostly because I've struggled to find another game to keep my interest for a while!

Great news! I missed this first time around & I've been getting very wowstalgic recently having not played for 3 or 4 years.

Suspended
What actually killed the community was the ability to cross-realm and realm transfer whenever you felt like. Zero loyalty to guilds now, and you can just transfer, take a new name and start over again.

The same thing happened in Dark Age of Camelot (a vastly superior game to WoW in every way bar marketing), it used to be one Realm per server. As soon as they changed it so you could play all 3 Realms on one server (per single account), Realm pride disappeared almost overnight.

Very sad :(

Associate
It felt good when you got it though. Very satisfying.

That sense of satisfaction has long been lost in the game.

This. Stuff like slowly gearing up through raiding and the thrill of finally getting that drop you wanted. And then progressing onto Raggy in MC or Nefarion in BWL and hearing a 40 man TeamSpeak channel errupt when you finally kill them after weeks of wiping.

Now you can level up and be decked out in epics in literally no time at all. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but the excitement just isn't there anymore sadly. :(

Soldato
According to them, they were never shutdown. It was asked on their site why wont Elysium just get shutdown too, the response from the Nost folks was that Blizzard never shut down Nostalrius, that all Blizzard had done was sent a cease and desist letter and that Nost decided to voluntarily shutdown as a gesture of goodwill in order to facilitate official talks with Blizzard about legacy servers. Blizzard agreed to the talks and Nostalrius documented and made public the results of those talks. Then Blizzard appeared to drop the idea and so the Nostalrius guys went ahead and released their source to Elysium and have aided in bringing Nostalrius back. According to their response to that question, the possibility of Blizzard being able to forcibly shutdown Nostalrius france based servers was always exceptionally small and as such this time (given that they see Blizzards apparent backdown on a vanilla server as them turning their back on the idea and reason for the voluntary shutdown of Nostalrius) , that this time they will refuse to shutdown if Blizzard send a similar C&D

They voluntarily shutdown because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. Which everway you look at it it's copyright and IP infringement. The same will happen again when greedy ***s at Activision see thousands playing a game that they see as free when they could have the money.

Activision will shut it down no matter what because they are utter business morons.

Man of Honour
They voluntarily shutdown because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. Which everway you look at it it's copyright and IP infringement. The same will happen again when greedy ***s at Activision see thousands playing a game that they see as free when they could have the money.

Activision will shut it down no matter what because they are utter business morons.

It may well be, but the copyright laws in France are somewhat, unusual shall we say. Blizzard wont find it quite as easy to shutdown, its part of the reason they didnt simply forcibly shut it down the first time once it got thousands playing it. Only time will tell, in the meantime everyone who loved Vanilla WoW can have a bucket load of fun :)

Soldato
Yea there's to be 3 servers this time around the Nost PVP server with all characters present, along with the Elysium characters. The PVE server which was still quite new with regards to progress and finally they're starting a new PVP server for those who wish to start right from the beginning.

I think they said during the stress test they had about 10k online which is about what Nost used to run, though it also used to be 15k + at peak times which used to affect the lag a lot, even 10k is higher than what the Blizz servers run at... They reckon they have come up with a way to sort the lag but also with having 3 servers not sure what the split is thing to be like.

Man of Honour
Yea there's to be 3 servers this time around the Nost PVP server with all characters present, along with the Elysium characters. The PVE server which was still quite new with regards to progress and finally they're starting a new PVP server for those who wish to start right from the beginning.

I think they said during the stress test they had about 10k online which is about what Nost used to run, though it also used to be 15k + at peak times which used to affect the lag a lot, even 10k is higher than what the Blizz servers run at... They reckon they have come up with a way to sort the lag but also with having 3 servers not sure what the split is thing to be like.

I believe that most people (something like 66% on the last poll I saw) are waiting to restart on the new pvp server

Soldato
Who here is actually going to give this a go? I have played since a few months after TBC release with the usual breaks between. I have not bothered with the Legion expansion (yet) but I do have 'that' itch to play again. I stopped playing just before summer. I gave Nost a blast last year for a week but didn't find enough time to give a it a proper go but now my little lad is nearly two and goes to playgroup twice a week and my new job has some great shifts, I can see me freeing up a fair bit of time for Vanilla WoW.

If there are enough people here thinking of giving this new server a go would it be a good idea to get a guild sorted? It would be a lot more fun in a guild when doing dungeons and meeting up chatting away on Discord or whatever, even grouping for those group quests that actually need to be done as a group. Iirc, that Razormane in the Barrens. Tusk something or other. That did my head in years ago.

So Ocuk guild for Vanilla?

Soldato
I can't download the client for windows either. I got the 404 message. Anyway if the links are not working I would suggest looking for WoW 1.12.1.5875 in your favourite torrent (1.12.1 also works) website. 3 results came up on Kat I chose the first and it's donwloading at 9mb second for me.

I am wishing to start fresh but as I am aware the new empty server is not ready till January. Is it worth it making new toon/guild on the original PvP one that everyone has had toons transferred?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom