• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples...

Caporegime
As per title, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed (HU) from receiving Founders Edition (not AIB cards, of course) review samples in advance due to them believing that Hardware Unboxed unfairly focus on rasterization performance vs RTX in their GPU reviews... https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kavim2/nvidia_have_banned_hardware_unboxed_from/

Considering that HU is one of the largest Techtubers that a lot of people consider reliable, this is a really bad PR move from Nvidia as it shows that they are trying to bully reviewers into dancing to their tune, instead of allowing independent journalism to take its course. If they do this to a channel this large, can you imagine what they do to smaller channels? Some Techtubers must be petrified of situations like this.

The crazy thing is that as decent as the new AMD cards are, Nvidia are arguably still overall the performance leaders, so there is no need for them to do petty things like this. It reminds me of Intel-style desperation tactics.

For shame Nvidia... for shame. :o

Last edited:
Associate
Not surprised really, Nvidia are a scummy company with bad ethics who make good products.

But banning HU from FEs is sad, especially for not apparently praising Raytracing.. Its laughably pathetic but it will highlight going forward who are scared of Nvidia as we will get a lot of Pro Raytracing reviews now.

Also HU said they will still get access to AIB Nvidia cards, yeah as if Nvidia wont use their influence to stick the knife in there either.

Its basically "Do as we say or we take your toys away" honestly were probably not too far from Nvidia just sending all the review scripts and benchmarks to reviewers now and they just read verbatim.

Utterly pathetic move from a sad company

Soldato
Smells like Nvidia are worried. I wonder why that would be.

Someone there mentioned that Linus reasoning for testing DLSS and RT is that it is here and people are using it. Does that mean that every game should be tested at 75% resolution with Radeon Image sharpening because it is here and people are using it?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Smells like Nvidia are worried. I wonder why that would be.

Someone in their mentioned that Linus reasoning for testing DLSS and RT is that it is here and people are using it. Does that mean that every game should be tested at 75% resolution with Radeon Image sharpening because it is here and people are using it?
I think it's about testing both to be fair, but naturally you focus more on what the majority is using. It's not as if HU didn't test Ray Tracing, they have bar charts dedicated to it after the 18 game averages.

Caporegime
Someone there mentioned that Linus reasoning for testing DLSS and RT is that it is here and people are using it. Does that mean that every game should be tested at 75% resolution with Radeon Image sharpening because it is here and people are using it?

You are talking about a driver option I assume?

DLSS and RTX are actually in-game graphics options. That's a bit different.

Permabanned
You can't flog a pig when the people want a horse. NVIDIA just don't get it that people don't want Ray Tracing. I mean my graphics card can't even cope with my monitor now, without Ray Tracing. Games keep on getting more difficult to process, monitors are getting faster and faster, larger and larger, and yet dumbo NVIDIA keep on selling us something that we are clearly not ready for. Honestly whoever has been doing their marketing for the past five years should be dragged in to the street and forced to listen to the gamers. We don't want Ray Tracing until we can do 300 fps with it!!!

Soldato
Just as I was starting to get interested in Nvidia products again after losing interest being burned by the 970. Shame really as it massively limits my choice for a GPU but Nvidia cannot help themselves with these scummy practices

HU is my favorite review channel, I'm sure they will still obtain FE GPUs without issue and I'm looking forward to the video that goes into detail about this but yeah, probably just stick with AMD for now

Really need Intel to make entry into the GPU market now, I know its likely years away but still, something needs to happen

Associate
Whilst I do consider Hardware unboxed to be AMD biased, you can't just silence them.
Yeah, their review of the 6800XT was a bit on the nose. They have raked AMD over the coals for the pricing shenanigans though.
Either way this is dumb by NVidia, there's no real benefit to them.

Soldato
Such a dumb move. They will still review the cards eventually, they will still get the numbers out there and lots of people will look at their videos. Not really going to achieve anything.

Soldato
There's only a handful of RT games though. Quite a unique use case.

Doesn't Nvidia help the game developers to implement RTX? So Nvidia only wants reviewers to test the games that they helped to make?

This would be like Intel asking that reviewers only test Battlefield 5 performance.

Permabanned
If you are going to review hardware via benchmarks then you have to review ALL hardware. Shooting one's foot off seems to apply here.

In keeping a balance, AMD rightly dropped Jayztwocents a few years ago.

I bounce around many review channels, they all have there faults in one way or another.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As per title, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed (HU) from receiving Founders Edition (not AIB cards, of course) review samples in advance due to them believing that Hardware Unboxed unfairly focus on rasterization performance vs RTX in their GPU reviews... https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kavim2/nvidia_have_banned_hardware_unboxed_from/

Considering that HU is one of the largest Techtubers that a lot of people consider reliable, this is a really bad PR move from Nvidia as it shows that they are trying to bully reviewers into dancing to their tune, instead of allowing independent journalism to take its course. If they do this to a channel this large, can you imagine what they do to smaller channels? Some Techtubers must be petrified of situations like this.

The crazy thing is that as decent as the new AMD cards are, Nvidia are arguably still overall the performance leaders, so there is no need for them to do petty things like this. It reminds me of Intel-style desperation tactics.

For shame Nvidia... for shame. :o

What are NVidia afraid of?

What is the point of a review if it is not independent?

I often see reviews and peoples opinions that I disagree with but these are also the most helpful to me as they can sometimes teach me stuff I did not know.

Soldato
Realistically hardly any gamers are running high resolutions with ray tracing as they can't afford the hardware. This forum has a lot of owners of high end RT capable hardware but that is still a very small number in reality. It's a bad PR move, you can't hide this kind of thing any more and Nvidia must know that. It does make you wonder if they are concerned about something. I know it's a bit early but I think next gen could be very revealing for all three vendors, as to the direction of the industry.

Caporegime
You can't flog a pig when the people want a horse. NVIDIA just don't get it that people don't want Ray Tracing. I mean my graphics card can't even cope with my monitor now, without Ray Tracing. Games keep on getting more difficult to process, monitors are getting faster and faster, larger and larger, and yet dumbo NVIDIA keep on selling us something that we are clearly not ready for. Honestly whoever has been doing their marketing for the past five years should be dragged in to the street and forced to listen to the gamers. We don't want Ray Tracing until we can do 300 fps with it!!!

I do.

I don't need 300fps as I only play single player games.

There's a long way to go, but DLSS 2.0 and G-sync has made ray tracing actually work pretty well.

Associate
Guess Gamers Nexus will also follow, since they don't focus on RT that much either. Rasterization isn't subjective compared to the way RT is. I've chosen to go all AMD for my new build because as nice as RT looks when it works and it doesn't "just work" its extremely gimmicky and selective of what it actually RT's and some of which is barely noticeable couple with it being extremely expensive for something that hasn't fully matured I'm not that interested in something that is ridiculously expensive.

Paying over £1000 for a graphics card is borderline insane which is the point a lot of reviewers are making and I doubt nvidia are the only ones unhappy with that statement.

Associate
Whilst leaning towards amd for my next gpu I would have considered nvidia if supply stabilised first but after this... Nah team green will get a miss from me

Back
Top Bottom