X-Factor 2012

Man of Honour
He is attracting 3 or so million viewers to an increasingly criticised show with a potential one-hit wonder

Like most of the winners then if we put Pop Idol in there too.

Michelle McManus
Steve Brookstein
Shayne Ward
Leon Jackson
Joe McElderry
Matt Cardle

You can also take the American versions and once again the success stories are mainly those that didn't win.
There's a good chance that the big earners will end up being the other 3 in the semi-final if Chris wins.
I'm with Estebanry that the main purpose of the show is the franchise and the revenue it makes with the next big act being way down the list.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What you doing in a thread titled Xfactor then :confused:

Partner "forcing" you to watch it :p

I watch the show...But its not worth debate and analysis in any detail.

It vacuous nonsense...But I know this and watch it accordingly.

Dermot said that just over 1 million people had voted to get their fav act in the final.

This is a tiny proportion of viewing figures.

Many of these would have been Liverpudlians abusing their work phone lines lol

My point about cares means actually that. Nothing happens to the people on it.

The only person to become a credible artist is Leona Lewis...

You can look at the likes of One direction but in essence they are no different to the monkees in the 1960's

Every generation needs a boy band... Not every generation needs a Matt Cardle or even a James Arthur

In 6 months no one will remember Chris Mallony

Its all wallpaper

Soldato
The only person to become a credible artist is Leona Lewis...

Olly Murs might disagree 2 double platinum albums and 2 number one albums in 3 years, 4 number one singles and a solo arena tour comming up next year seems to say otherwise?

or maybe JLS 3 platinum/multi platinum albums in 4 years, 5 number 1 singles a pile of MOBO and BRIT awards along with a string of sold out arena tours seems to make them reasonably 'credible'

Oh and before you point out that neither are credible I don't see how they are any less credible than the increadibly boring leona singing song after son that sounds the same that have been written for her.

Caporegime
Olly Murs might disagree 2 double platinum albums and 2 number one albums in 3 years, 4 number one singles and a solo arena tour comming up next year seems to say otherwise?

or maybe JLS 3 platinum/multi platinum albums in 4 years, 5 number 1 singles a pile of MOBO and BRIT awards along with a string of sold out arena tours seems to make them reasonably 'credible'

Oh and before you point out that neither are credible I don't see how they are any less credible than the increadibly boring leona singing song after son that sounds the same that have been written for her.

There's no point arguing this logic, people only make the blanket negative statements without fully thinking things through.

Soldato
... the main purpose of the show is the franchise and the revenue it makes with the next big act being way down the list.

Spot on!

That's exactly what the producers of the show want. Their remit is ensure that the audience figures are the highest. That's it.
The contestants, after the show ends, must use this show as a platform to launch a career. They have to work hard to make it happen.

Some contestants are brain-washed into believing that simply by winning the show they are already a star. Even judges unashamedly use the words, "You are a ready made recording artist". "You will sell millions".

What the judges forget to mention is that if the contestants don't work hard after the show and fail to sell records, they will get dumped by their record company.

The judges also don't mention the likes of Cardle, Brookstein, etc.

What really ticks me off is all the tears when someone is voted off. I can understand if a 15 year old teenage girl got voted out and started crying. But seeing grown men do the same is cringe-worthy. People need to understand that after being voted off, the contestant is not sent to a guillotine. They are allowed to return to their "normal" life. Some lucky ones who are prepared to work hard will release an album or 2 and go onto bigger things.

So, back to the show: Jahmane is definitely going to win this one now. No doubt about it. In the history of the show, whoever ends up in the bottom 2 at any stage (J. Arthur), never wins the show.

So come on, lets have your predictions...

Caporegime
What really ticks me off is all the tears when someone is voted off. I can understand if a 15 year old teenage girl got voted out and started crying. But seeing grown men do the same is cringe-worthy. People need to understand that after being voted off, the contestant is not sent to a guillotine. They are allowed to return to their "normal" life. Some lucky ones who are prepared to work hard will release an album or 2 and go onto bigger things.

You've mentioned this before, and I can't see why the concept is so difficult for you to grasp.

This show represents the only (slim) chance many (often slightly delusional about their abilities) will have to make their dreams come true. The contestants, even grown men, cry because of how devastated they are that they feel they came so close to achieving their dreams. The closer you get to the final, the more you feel has been ripped away from you because you are convinced stardom was within your reach. Crying is nothing more than a natural emotional response to help release emotional pressure... nature didn't design it for anything else. There is nothing complicated or mystical about it, and people cry for MUCH less than almost winning a life-changing talent contest.

If you still somewhat inexplicably find that hard to understand, then all I can say is you must lack a couple of basic empathy cells in your brain.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are many reality TV shows on the telly. Far too many to mention. In most cases the contestants stand a lot to win (or lose). For example, currently they are televising The Young Apprentice, with kids. Why don't we see tears in that show, yet see tears in XFactor? Big Brother (very few tears). The Voice (I don't remember seeing too many tears on that show). I could go on...you get the point.

Furthermore, in many cases this year, I have observed that it is not the losing contestants who cry/weep. After the results are announced, the non-losing contestants then crowd around those who have lost and then hug/cry, as if the losing contestant is about to be put to death. This reaction is way over the top.

With regards to empathy - I can certainly empathise, but when I see a grown man crying like a baby, over losing in a talent contest - this doesnt go down well with me. I have always been brought up to believe that a man should be mentally strong and must pick himself up whenever the World puts him down.

Associate
I can't even bring myself to watch the auditions any more. The audience just laughing at the contestants... demoralizing.
One thing i find funny about it though...several of my friends decided last year that it was fixed (obviously) and then proceeded to say they would never watch it again. Yet funnily enough they are saying the same thing this year too...

Caporegime
He's (Christopher) just not very popular with the type of people that go and watch live which I would guess are primarily teenage girls.

Don't think he would be any more unpopular if he came out in a Jimmy Savile mask and sang I'm the Leader of the Gang while moonwalking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom