Xbox One X

Soldato
Maybe that's why it never worked right on my X99 system? No IGP
Yep that is exactly why as Intel have the cartel monopoly on PlayReady 3.0 DRM required for protected 4K Disc or media UHD playback it only allows playback if the IGP is present & it also requires a recent Intel SGX capable CPU to be present. I bought an X1X instead as fed up with these stupid artificial DRM restrictions. I got a UHD player as well as capable 4K gaming device for under £400!!

For game HDR to work on PC you need a HDMI1.4 or newer GPU, Monitor, Video Cable & IGP present. No need for the Intel SGX CPU if PC HDR for gaming. But this is so dumb as many PC games allow you to enabled HDR but its not actually working in game at all just washes the image out!

I still also play on my PC but I can see the writing on the wall in the immediate future X1X is the best VFM option for 4K gaming as most PC ports look inferior now due to no proper HDR implementation. X1X AF texture filtering is also superior as its newer than the PC one size fits all scheme. Cannot believe actually how little effort goes into recent PC ports vs X1X is ready to go & looks way better most of the time plus I can pick up recent games for around a tenner.

MS are onto a real winner with X1X if they can also lower the price a little as well its going to minimise PC gaming as the cost difference is vast right now!

Associate
I didn't intend on buying 360 games when purchasing this console but after getting Assassin's Creed 1 and Red Dead, both for a just under a tenner. I will now build up my collection of old games.

The nostalgia feels so good right now.

Associate
I got state of decay 2 and far cry 5 and an extra controller for £450 from Amazon.Good deal considering I paid the same price just for the Scorpio edition. My new Xbox one x just came today so going to test it out to compare it to the noisy scorpio edition which I still have this weekend, So I hope it's better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bundle-Assassins-Creed-Origins-Quantum/dp/B07D4RB4L1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527189307&sr=8-3&keywords=Xbox+one+x+bundle&dpID=413ICQHSQ8L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Noticed the new Xbox x is manufactured oct 2017 I would have thought it would have been a 2018 model by now and it was the far cry 5 pack. Strange how it's 7 months old

Soldato
I got state of decay 2 and far cry 5 and an extra controller for £450 from Amazon.Good deal considering I paid the same price just for the Scorpio edition. My new Xbox one x just came today so going to test it out to compare it to the noisy scorpio edition which I still have this weekend, So I hope it's better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bundle-Assassins-Creed-Origins-Quantum/dp/B07D4RB4L1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527189307&sr=8-3&keywords=Xbox+one+x+bundle&dpID=413ICQHSQ8L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Noticed the new Xbox x is manufactured oct 2017 I would have thought it would have been a 2018 model by now and it was the far cry 5 pack. Strange how it's 7 months old
Mine was October last year as well, bought it about a month ago from Pcworld.

Associate

Good deal, I just bought one too :D

Associate
I will let you all know how I get on with the sound levels of both consoles.

Far cry 5 and state of decay 2 come on cd by the way not a digital download but that did not bother me.

Associate
I've got my m-ITX gaming PC hooked up to my TV in the living room. This isn't 1998 anymore!
True. I have had my PC in the lounge for over 10 years now. However, the XOX is easier to use/naviagate without the need for a keyboard and mouse. It also has a built in 4kUHD drive.

For me personally its the total lack of hassle getting games to run without any tweaking or faffing. I realised over the years I often spent as much time tweaking and modding games as actually playing them. I'm enjoying having moved away from that. That was from a PC with a GTX1080Ti too, which frequently struggled to maintain smooth frame rates at 60fps doing 4k. The drop to 30 was an issue, but its a smooth 30fps with out hitching or the optimisation issues I frequently had on PC. On my OLED HDR is sublime and the PC implementation whilst recently improved is still lacking compared to XOX. I still use my PC, just not for gaming and sold the expensive components at a good time with current expensive prices.

Both platforms have their merits but to say one is redundant over the other is a silly generalisation.

Caporegime
That's one of the big things. PC users often try to run ultra settings and have to faff about with configs and stuff just because they can

Xbox one X takes away all that and you just get on with the business of playing games.

Associate
Every time Microsoft does a major update like the one that's just come out causes some issues on my computers.

I always have to re-install the GPU and sound card drivers as things never seem quite right.

My mic has stopped working and I can't be bothered to fix it, in fact, my Xbox may be making me lazy. :D

Caporegime
For me personally its the total lack of hassle getting games to run without any tweaking or faffing. I realised over the years I often spent as much time tweaking and modding games as actually playing them. I'm enjoying having moved away from that.

As a new PC gamer, I'm shocked most by the amount of games that just crash for no reason at all. I think in the last 10+ years of being a console gamer I can only remember one game which tipped over - Mass Effect Andromeda at release. There might have been bugs and stuff but 99% of games on console don't crash. I've been keeping a log of my PC games and so far 60% have crashed at some point in Windows. (Granted they are older titles and Windows 10 might be an issue but still, having those games from the past is one of the big PC bonus points.)

Soldato
Rise Of The Tomb Raider- On PC it looks stunning even without HDR (which Nvidia finished in March 2016 but it has never been released to the public). X1X release is IMO shockingly poor looking even with HDR & Enhanced Visuals. I would hate to see what it looked like before. So far after 4 hours its looking more like an Xbox360 era game it just looks flat, dull & lifeless. Water looks especially poor & dated. Something is seriously lacking as the textures are very low res & the overall graphical look is very washed out & weak. Global illumination shader FX are also very lacking. Game looks like its missing 50% of the colour palette.

Did not expect that at all. The reviews of the X1X patch all made it sound like it was something marvellous looking well its not at all. HDR seems like its tacked on not properly integrated into the game engine (it probably was as its a 2015 era game).

PC Steam 4K version is a LONG way ahead visually & FPS wise & still the definitive version.

Most of the X1X enhanced games (I already bought on Steam) which I rebought so far look great. ROTR is a real dud.

So far Dead Rising 4 & Fallout 4 look the best X1X titles @ 4K IMO.

Caporegime
That can’t be right. Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 looked fantastic in 4K mode and the X1X version is supposed to be even better. Maybe the HDR is causing issues, can you turn it off?

Associate
That can’t be right. Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 looked fantastic in 4K mode and the X1X version is supposed to be even better. Maybe the HDR is causing issues, can you turn it off?
I'm afraid AWPC is correct at least to my findings.

I read that post and was sure it can't be right as I have been playing it on the One X and was impressed at first by the HDR lighting.

I ran both games side by side with a VA monitor and a VA 4K HDR TV and was shocked to see the PC version looking better.

I also ran the PS4 Pro demo and the One X was better.

Other games like Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 look fantastic in HDR.

Soldato
I have really good vision its totally right do not believe the excessive hype the PC version is a LONG way ahead in every possible way but especially the global lighting looks good on PC. On X1X it looks dull & lifeless & the low res textures used just do not suit the 4K it highlights how poor they are.

Many other X1X enhanced games look better than the PC however. Latest one I am playing again on X1X is Resident Evil 7. This looks a lot better on X1X due to the fantastic HDR implementation. On PC RE7 looks dull & lifeless even with the fake HDR. On X1X the full HDR brings the game alive it looks creepy, atmospheric & fantastic.

Caporegime
I've found a Digital Foundry video on RotR - the lighting does look weird but the textures should be identical to PC. Unless they fluffed things up between this demo and the actual game.

Soldato
I've found a Digital Foundry video on RotR - the lighting does look weird but the textures should be identical to PC. Unless they fluffed things up between this demo and the actual game.

4K plays better on X1X than with Enhanced Visuals & yes they did fluff it up badly the game does not look in realtime anything like as good as the PC by a long way. The DF video just choses a nice place to produce their video. If they captured the snow levels you can clearly see it looks horrible on X1X. Textures on X1X are medium I think. PC looks much sharper\better overall.

I would not trust anything DF produces I bet they are like the rest of the gaming industry being given promotional freebies to be selective about what parts of a game to capture...………;)

Back
Top Bottom