Xbox One X

Associate
I wouldn't get too excited about HDR. I've played Forza Horizons 3, and also a few 4K UHD blurays on the XBone S. While there's definitely some more colour fidelity over non HDR media, the difference to my eyes is minimal.
That would all depend what you're watching it on....... If it's not a HDR premium TV (I. E. Samsung ks series or LG OLED) then you won't see much of a difference. Currently, there are few TVs that give the full benefit.

Associate
OP
That would all depend what you're watching it on....... If it's not a HDR premium TV (I. E. Samsung ks series or LG OLED) then you won't see much of a difference. Currently, there are few TVs that give the full benefit.

Panasonic DX902

Caporegime
It's basically an Xbox One S for 4K TV owners, you might get FSAA at 1080P but this idea that it's a new generation is laughable.

£500 as well, unless you require native 4K it's really poor value compared to PS4 Pro.

OT, It is basically a new Xbox generation though, MS won't call it that for fear of backlash but everyone knows exactly what it is.

Caporegime
It's a shame that the hype for this has all but gone with no-one being able to pre-order. Hopefully MS will be able to reignite all the enthusiasm when it comes to Gamescom in 3 weeks. I still think they've shot themselves in the foot by putting all the games on Windows 10 though.

Soldato
Why do you say that? This is a new breed of console generations, we are into families now.
Because a 4K version of the same game (physics, models etc) isn't a next gen game IMO. When the current Xbox I can longer run that game then it is a next generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair comment but they will phase out certain specs as they iterate the platform. So maybe drop base Xbox one on the release in 2020. That game is then a generation above the Xbox one.

Just IMO anyway but if the game looks only slightly visually improved (textures and resolution) is that a new generation? Maybe I am biased by the underwhelming improvement I saw from base PS4 to PS4 Pro.

Soldato
I guess it's a nice option if you have a 4k TV and the cash to burn but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this or the PS4 pro given they don't actually add anything to the games themselves other than more FPS and/or a higher resolution.

Personally I think I'll skip this midlife refresh and put the money towards a ps5 or xbox2 in few years time.

Caporegime
Fair comment but they will phase out certain specs as they iterate the platform. So maybe drop base Xbox one on the release in 2020. That game is then a generation above the Xbox one.

Just IMO anyway but if the game looks only slightly visually improved (textures and resolution) is that a new generation? Maybe I am biased by the underwhelming improvement I saw from base PS4 to PS4 Pro.

The Pro was a mid gen refresh, Xbox x is now the flagship product for MS and the start of a new generation, they just don't want to tel anybody that and have now shifted focus to say family instead, that's how it's always going to be from now on, they will tease Xbox x 2 and then Xbox one will drop off getting awful versions of games where Xbox x will get slightly less fancy versions.

It's clever.

Back
Top Bottom