Xbox One X

Soldato
I have moved on to Digital installs to avoid any blu-ray read issues. I personally dont see the point in disks now, especially when most big AAA titles will have a pre-load leading up to release day. I don't believe in 'Trading in' games as the developer sees no financial gain out of the resell; only the retailer gains profit against the cash/credit they give for the item on return.

Shawrey.

Cost is a pretty major point, it's nearly always considerably cheaper to buy new releases on a disc and that isn't going to change any time soon.

Soldato
Don't think we will have an issue with QC here. The 360 was a black mark on Microsofts history, subsequent revisions of the 360 and the Xbox One itself have been pretty much trouble free.

I have moved on to Digital installs to avoid any blu-ray read issues. I personally dont see the point in disks now, especially when most big AAA titles will have a pre-load leading up to release day. I don't believe in 'Trading in' games as the developer sees no financial gain out of the resell; only the retailer gains profit against the cash/credit they give for the item on return.

Shawrey.

The only thing stopping me going down the digital download route is my Rural Broadband, example 20gb Ark update took three days solid

Soldato
it makes no sense to me that digital download is more expensive :confused:

Retailers would likely refuse to stock games/consoles if they were being consistently undercut by the platforms' own online stores. Plus physical stock has a value attached, so retailers can negotiate favourable pricing with suppliers, compete with each other, and eventually drop prices to clear stock or drive sales rather than have it sitting in inventory. The price of a download isn't really influenced by those factors.

Soldato
thing is if you have multiple accounts and xboxs the digital comes into its own, my wife can use my Gold and play my digital games, of instead of needing 2 live's 2 copies of a game and 2 season passes i only need to buy it once. Even works with EA access.

If you have a gaming wife or kids then it can work out cheaper even with the digital premium.

Soldato
Seems strange not to have been able to pre order straight away after announcement. I'm sure MS will lose a bit of momentum in sales because of it. I'm hoping to pick mine up from Argos as have £480 in love2shop high street vouchers from work - it's almost meant to be as I don't really use a lot of the shops on the list that often:p

I'm mostly digital these days, can game share, region swap and buy online credit for cheaper so its not too bad. Shame you can't gameshare the xbox game pass.

LzR

LzR

Associate
I'm probably going to get one on release but the lack of news/gossip and hype is a little odd, i thought MS would be shouting from the rooftops and getting the hype train rolling at full speed, maybe I'm missing something...

Regards digital, wouldn't it be nice if after buying one could get a partial refund after completing/not liking and thus taking the middleman out of the secondhand disc market, this would increase digital sales and decrease secondhand sales, meaning more for the developer, less for GAME, and a little back for us.

Caporegime
Unfortunately all those shops like Game would chuck a wobbly and threaten not to carry the consoles or disc games. Good riddance I say. Let Amazon, Argos, Asda, etc. sell the stuff. Dedicated game shops don’t really need to exist in this day and age.

Soldato
Unfortunately all those shops like Game would chuck a wobbly and threaten not to carry the consoles or disc games. Good riddance I say. Let Amazon, Argos, Asda, etc. sell the stuff. Dedicated game shops don’t really need to exist in this day and age.

I don't think any retailers would be happy with such an arrangement though. The PSP Go was a great example of that; nobody wanted to stock it because there was nothing to gain from it. MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft etc pay retailers to stock their products and run promotions/advertising, so they clearly recognise the value of having their products in physical retail space. They're not in any great hurry to sell games to us cheaply and directly.

Soldato
Decided I might get this, might wait a little if I can!

I do have an xbox one that I don't use, but I really would like to play Forza 7 at its best, seen as I have a 4k set now.

Not been following this thread much, is there a confirmed price and date that preorders go live?

Thank's

Caporegime
I don't think any retailers would be happy with such an arrangement though. The PSP Go was a great example of that; nobody wanted to stock it because there was nothing to gain from it. MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft etc pay retailers to stock their products and run promotions/advertising, so they clearly recognise the value of having their products in physical retail space. They're not in any great hurry to sell games to us cheaply and directly.

Hmm, I guess console owners are different from PC owners as the PC market is thriving and that is mostly digital. I don't even know if you can buy games on disc for PC anymore? :D

I think MS should have stuck to their guns with Don Mattress's original idea for the Xbone with its DRM catalogue. They could hardly be in a worse position than they are now really. I think most people would have seen the benefits of a digital ecosystem with the 5 years now passed. (Unless you have a crap network connection.)

Soldato
I've got a hardly used PS4 that i want rid of , is a private sale better than getting credit at game ?

I personally prefer trading in consoles, even if its slightly less than you would get by private sale, as I don't want any potential hassle.

I tend to then just use the credit towards games.

Back
Top Bottom