• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 233 26.2%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I does amuse me somewhat that exclusives are touted as being above multiplats in many peoples eyes. I didn't know there was a rule that exclusive meant automatically good game.

Soldato
Microsoft seems to have done a great job of selling a machine with no games. I can't knock the job they have done this time creating the kind of must have it desire they did around the 360 launch. People scrambling for pre-orders, only this time there's next to nothing of interest to play. People keep quoting the improvements to Gears, you know the game no one in Europe plays. I've never seen a console launch where there's so little I'd want to play or available but seemingly selling so well. Kudos to them. Even having only the xbox one I can't see any reason to bite for 6 months at least.

That's how you feel about it and that's cool. But to say there are no games isn't right. For many of us, we are looking forward to playing older games on Game Pass that we've missed, especially given the improvements that will be on offer. I for one am really happy that this time around we've actually got a load of older games that will have pretty big improvements to them. It's only the same as someone upgrading their PC and then going back to see how much better it makes their older games. This time around we have a tangible reason to look at the older games and that's really cool.

You've only quoted Gears 5, but loads of games on Game Pass are going to benefit from the new console launch. Even just the SSD, auto HDR and quick resume are going to be game changers, quite literally. Even a game like Ninja Gaiden 2 has been shown to have graphical improvements on the Series X, and that's over 15 years old!

I'm excited, and I think you'll find many others are as well.

Associate
Cheers Mate. Am just wondering how I will pay the remainder if they start a click and collect due to lockdown. Think they are already doing this in parts of the UK.
Just been into Smyths. They had an allocation of 12,000 machines and if you have a pre order you are guaranteed a machine. Regarding lockdown, they will have a click and collect service and the rest of the payment will be taken when the machine is collected.

Associate
Just been into Smyths. They had an allocation of 12,000 machines and if you have a pre order you are guaranteed a machine. Regarding lockdown, they will have a click and collect service and the rest of the payment will be taken when the machine is collected.
Thanks Mate. That's nice to know. Happy days.

Soldato
Microsoft seems to have done a great job of selling a machine with no games. I can't knock the job they have done this time creating the kind of must have it desire they did around the 360 launch. People scrambling for pre-orders, only this time there's next to nothing of interest to play. People keep quoting the improvements to Gears, you know the game no one in Europe plays. I've never seen a console launch where there's so little I'd want to play or available but seemingly selling so well. Kudos to them. Even having only the xbox one I can't see any reason to bite for 6 months at least.

This is a ridiculous statement.. the entire Xbox library is available.. why would anyone upgrade their PC only to play the same games? £449 isn't a lot of money for significant visual improvements..

I play sea of thieves and assassin's creed a lot having them in 60fps is worth the price alone.. not even mentioning all the upcoming games..

Soldato

Because there will be new games and there are enhancements for the old games. I know I will be getting one anyway, why not now? And it's not like I can spend the money going on holiday so might as well have something to look forward to now..

Soldato
Weird no Halo at launch but there is plenty to play. Everything software wise is a bit mucked up due to COVID. Tbh I was expecting the consoles to be delayed until next year....

Associate
I think he or she means no launch exclusives. It is pretty unusual not to have at least one at a new launch, to be fair.

Yeah exactly, I understand everyone is different and I think back compatibility is great even if I almost never revisit games but I don't see the rush, but they have created demand by 'limited stock' perfectly again. The fear of missing out. I'd rather play new games and expect some when a new console comes out. But hey at least they have cured the god awful input lag on Gears 5.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yeah exactly, I understand everyone is different and I think back compatibility is great even if I almost never revisit games but I don't see the rush, but they have created demand by 'limited stock' perfectly again. The fear of missing out. I'd rather play new games and expect some when a new console comes out. But hey at least they have cured the god awful input lag on Gears 5.

Don't assume most of us are anywhere near getting through games from the current gen yet!

I'm personally over a year behind, I don't get through more than 2 or 3 games over a year, there are plenty of games to get through before I even think about any new ones! At least having the newer console, some, if not most will have updates or improvements as well.

Soldato
I played a bit of Dirt and Valhalla and tbh they ran really well but I would not say they locked especially next gen in comparison to what we have seen already on PS4 and Xbox. I’m just hoping they actually utilise the hardware rather than just a bit better than base systems.

Soldato
I played a bit of Dirt and Valhalla and tbh they ran really well but I would not say they locked especially next gen in comparison to what we have seen already on PS4 and Xbox. I’m just hoping they actually utilise the hardware rather than just a bit better than base systems.

You played them on series x? Valhalla is running at 60fps 4k, odyssey ran at 1800p 30fps.

Just those differences should be immediately next gen...

Soldato
You played them on series x? Valhalla is running at 60fps 4k, odyssey ran at 1800p 30fps.

Just those differences should be immediately next gen...

Yes on Series X it ran well and felt smoother but visually I cannot say I was wowed or thought wow this is amazing compared to One X. Dirt is really smooth hard to show in video compared to real life but again visually it’s nothing special. Tbh in the hour ish I tried it felt more like a PC with controller than console if that makes sense. Gears looks like the PC version with Ultra textures installed and again runs really smooth. If you have a high end pc it will feel similar which is no bad thing for a £450 box. It’s far more of an upgrade to current than a new system feel everything is identical so you don’t get that wow feeling like before.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is a ridiculous statement.. the entire Xbox library is available.. why would anyone upgrade their PC only to play the same games? £449 isn't a lot of money for significant visual improvements..

I play sea of thieves and assassin's creed a lot having them in 60fps is worth the price alone.. not even mentioning all the upcoming games..

Yup, this is the great thing. I’m not ready to spend the cash to upgrade my PC to 4K and even then it can’t offer a sofa experience that I so often need these days after a long day at work.

Now that consoles can offer a solid 4K experience with visuals up there with PC gaming for a low cost, it seemed like a no brainier to me. Nvidia's ridiculous antics and the insane value of game pass sealed the deal.

I look forward to seeing the next gen titles that fully utilise the hardware. In the meantime, I have a huge backlog of titles and new games like AC and Cyberpunk to keep me very busy.

Caporegime
OP
you don’t get that wow feeling like before.

My brain is currently conditioned to PS3-level visuals. I've been using that console for almost a month now catching up on some old trophies and whatnot. Saving all the PS4 games to play on PS5 so I'm expected to be "wowed" when I get one. :p I haven't had an Xbox for years so looking forward to being "wowed" by Gears 2 and 3 in 4K as well. :p

Man of Honour
My brain is currently conditioned to PS3-level visuals. I've been using that console for almost a month now catching up on some old trophies and whatnot. Saving all the PS4 games to play on PS5 so I'm expected to be "wowed" when I get one. :p I haven't had an Xbox for years so looking forward to being "wowed" by Gears 2 and 3 in 4K as well. :p

Although I’m used to PC visuals, Gears 2 and 3 in 4K with auto HDR cant look all that bad surely? I may have to play Gears 5 first though.

Back
Top Bottom