Xbox Series X to PS5

Soldato
Ok i know many will say best to have both.. But I am not in the position to have both. I have a XBSX but i keep thinking over trying out a PS5 to see what the fuss is and the controller of theirs too.. Has anyone made the move and regretted it..

What i may miss on the Xbox is the Resume of 3 games

Is the Dashboard on the PS5 as good
IS the graphic the same or better on PS5?

I purchased the series X at launch, and then waited a year or so until the ps5 was more readily available, once I had the PS5 I couldn't stop playing it, I was catching up on games like Horizon Forbidden West, Last of Us Part 2, and other games from last gen that I had yet to play, my xbox was not getting used at all. 3-4 months later once I had played everything I wanted to, my xbox began to get more use again.

I prefer the xbox overall, I think it's a better built console. For me the PS5 is primarily used for the exclusives which are great. So whatever you do Im sure you will be happy with the PS5, graphically they are identical I think for multiplats, although PS5 has gotten a lot better out of its exclusives, some look brilliant, where as Xbox hasn't utilised the performance it can from all of its exclusives bar the obvious Forza Horizon and MS flight sim.

The dashboards, something Im not really bothered about, both do the job for me, same with the pads, I like both.

Soldato
You can also go into settings and test your connection. The console does a speed test by downloading and uploading data.

My PS5 is connected on Wi-Fi 6 (same as my Series X) but is fully utilising my FTTP fibre optic line. The Series X, however, won’t go above ~50Mbps downloads. It will often start at over 250Mbps but then throttles right down again within around 10-20 seconds. Often it spends extended periods sitting sub 10Mbps and even drops to Kbps too. It never used to be like this, and seems to have coincided with a system update maybe 18 months - 2 years ago.

I’ve tried everything to fix it but no dice. I’ve done a factory reset, I’ve used a different router, and I’ve even changed from standard FTTC broadband to FTTP with a completely new supplier and completely new wiring infrastructure and router. I’ve changed DNS settings, I’ve opened ports on the router, I’ve done a factory reset on 4 different routers with two different ISP’s. I’ve tried running it 5ghz only and 2.4Ghz only. I’ve spoken to my ISP’s and they haven’t been able to help either. I’ve tinkered with all the system settings and tried every fix I can find online bar physically wiring it in with an ethernet cable as I don’t have one long enough and it would look a mess anyway. Everything else in the house works fine except the Series X.

The Series X WI-FI remains dog slow. Plenty of people posting on Microsoft help pages about slow downloads on Series X, but it doesn’t seem to affect everyone and MS are not acknowledging the problem. Of course there’s also the “I’m alright Jacks” on here that maintain it’s an issue on my end because their downloads work just fine on their Series X so it couldn’t possibly be an issue with the product or MS infrastructure!

Granted, it could be my Series X WI-FI chip is borked. But if that was the case I’d expect it to not work at all. Having completely overhauled my internet service and infrastructure without any noticeable difference in performance also feels to me like it is unlikely to be an issue on my end, particularly when all other internet devices operate fine. Very much seems to be a a Microsoft system issue that is throttling speeds for some reason. Perhaps it’s because I don’t have a big data centre near me in the staffs moorlands or something?

So yeah, being able to download a full game, depending on size, in 15-25 minutes is a massive bonus on the PS5. With the Series X I need to plan it in advance as it’s taking around 12-16hrs to download a full fat game (80-100GB) - and that is with all running apps games closed and no other load on my broadband. It makes it a chore. It shouldn’t be this hard to get a console to download at reasonable speeds. I accept it doesn’t have WI-FI 6 capability but it shouldn’t really mean the speeds are so low. And in any case they were low on the previous ISP / hardware / settings that were only WI-FI 5.
Good post. I have seen the same with my X although as its on a different floor to the router I put it down to a problem with my mesh system that I have sort of fumbled through and got working. It used to be loads faster. PS5 seems faster although I have not checked the speeds. I don't seem to lag on any online games with either system though.

Soldato
Apologies to OP, I fear my post about slow download speeds on the Series X has hijacked the thread a little.

So back to topic. @Rooky007 are you any nearer deciding whether you will take the plunge with a PS5?

One point I can’t see that has been mentioned is the physical size of the PS5 compared to the Series X. The PS5 looks much bigger and the design is an acquired taste. As much as I love my PS5 I’m the first to acknowledge it’s FUGLY in general, and when compared to the Series X which is much sleeker and stylish in my view.

Associate
Ok i know many will say best to have both.. But I am not in the position to have both. I have a XBSX but i keep thinking over trying out a PS5 to see what the fuss is and the controller of theirs too.. Has anyone made the move and regretted it..

What i may miss on the Xbox is the Resume of 3 games

Is the Dashboard on the PS5 as good
IS the graphic the same or better on PS5?
I made the move from the XBSx to PS5 and regret it. I feel like game pass is a big loss and feel like the UI is a step backwards.

My argument at the time was the better controller + exclusives. I don't think there is much in it with the former and haven't played many exclusives either.

I think you should base the decision on which exclusives you prefer and how much you value gamepass.

Back
Top Bottom