XCOM : Enemy Unknown - by Firaxis Games - Thread

Associate
Also got sick and fed up of having 50% chance to miss on targets that were standing literally right next to me.

You do realise that just because they're right next to you doesn't mean that they standing still for you. It's a depiction of their position in a turn based mechanic.

Anyway, anyone having any freezing issues? My game keeps freezing on the main menu and I can't load anything in. I was on a roll as well :(

Caporegime
You do realise that just because they're right next to you doesn't mean that they standing still for you. It's a depiction of their position in a turn based mechanic.

Yes and no.

1) The game drops a Thin Man four squares away from your unit. The Thin Man gets to use 'overwatch' immediately. Your unit cannot move.

Next turn, your unit has a 50% chance to miss the Thin Man, and cannot move or he will be shot.

2) An alien runs in a straight line towards your unit. The alien finishes four squares away. Your unit has a 50% chance to miss, despite the fact that the alien is running straight towards him, and should be an easy target.

What you describe as "abstraction of reality" I describe as "frustrating and random", and not at all realistic.

To which some other Firaxis apologist says "Oh you shouldn't want any degree of reality in a game about aliens! Leave X:EU alone!"

Yeah I played that game on the official forums. I do understand that anyone disliking this game is immediately public enemy #1; a heretic, and must be burned at the stake.

Associate
Yes and no.

What you describe as "abstraction of reality" I describe as "frustrating and random", and not at all realistic.

I'm not suggesting it's an abstract of reality, I'm saying that the guy running towards you is probably ducking and diving. The guy that stops 4 squares away isn't standing still scratching his arse, he'll be doing his best not to be an easy target. This is what happens in turn based games with mechanics that try their best to add realism. IMHO ;)

Soldato
Yes and no.

1) The game drops a Thin Man four squares away from your unit. The Thin Man gets to use 'overwatch' immediately. Your unit cannot move.

Next turn, your unit has a 50% chance to miss the Thin Man, and cannot move or he will be shot.

2) An alien runs in a straight line towards your unit. The alien finishes four squares away. Your unit has a 50% chance to miss, despite the fact that the alien is running straight towards him, and should be an easy target.

To which some other Firaxis apologist says "Oh you shouldn't want any degree of reality in a game about aliens! Leave X:EU alone!"

Yeah I played that game on the official forums. I do understand that anyone disliking this game is immediately public enemy #1; a heretic, and must be burned at the stake.

You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the turn based aspect of this and how the game mechanics have to be balanced - then even if you just treat it like a pretty board game, it still has rules and mechanics that have to be adhered to - you may as well be whining that you wouldn't slide down a snake irl or why you can't use the ladder since it's only one tile away and you could totally reach it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else having stability problems with this game? Since the first crash, I've two subsequent crashes. On completion of a mission, after the animation of the transporter flying back, I got endless black screen Now it is completely unplayable and freezes immediately on the main menu after launch.

I'm not having that many issues, however it has crashed on me twice already, and the original only ever crashed once within many many hours.

Soldato
The system Enemy Unknown uses I find too frustrating to ever want to replay it.

The fact that enemy armour makes your shots more likely to miss is just silly. Armour giving more HP or damage reduction is the normal, logical, way.

But in EU's bizzaro world, a heavily armoured foe is simply way more difficult to hit. So that massive, slow bipedal walking tank that has boat-loads of HP already, is also a much more difficult to score a hit on than a small, agile alien. Right-o.

Also got sick and fed up of having 50% chance to miss on targets that were standing literally right next to me. In XCom you could burst fire and at least one or two hits would connect. In EU you can surround a target with 2-3 agents and watch them all mis their target.

And the fact that you can only shoot once (which either hits or misses) is retarded too. There are no auto-shots, no burst fire.

Gah, just talking about that game makes me rage.

Tbf, I think the lower % to hit the tankier enemies is just the games way of representing their armor being too tough for your weapons to break through, but the developers were too lazy to add an animation for it so it just says 'miss'. Should say 'blocked' while having your troops hit them or something.

Soldato
Finding it bloody hard on classic difficulty now. Halfway through month two, I have very high panic levels despite a doing all the abduction missions successfully and flogging a load of stuff on the grey market to make money for satellites. Just doesn't seem possible to keep up now.

Soldato
loving this again.
Same here, just done 7 hours straight, possibly more :D

Strategy is the same as first though, haven't spent a penny on anything but satellites yet and I'm just about holding my own. Definitely tougher than the first installment but then I'm not THAT far into it yet. Just had my first soldier die, a sgt level sniper.... pesky mutons with their heavy hitting, one shot kill, super accurate plasma rifles!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, panic reduction is a killer early on.

Indeed, it has always been a race for satellites(and engineers!) at the start, but it seems to be even more so now.

I am absolutely loving the game again also... Though I have dropped the difficulty to normal, as it helps to reduce the more 'wtf' moments, especially early on.

Caporegime
Tbf, I think the lower % to hit the tankier enemies is just the games way of representing their armor being too tough for your weapons to break through, but the developers were too lazy to add an animation for it so it just says 'miss'. Should say 'blocked' while having your troops hit them or something.

Only that's not how it works, is it?

The alien armour applies this 'to hit' penalty to all weapons, even the most powerful alien and XCom weapons in the game.

Also when the armour penalty causes you to miss, the shot physically misses and has a good chance to destroy scenery instead. That does not correspond to a shot being blocked.

Unlike the originals, armour never degrades. In the originals, your/their armour could absorb damage, but would mostly then be damaged in the process. Even the most powerful armour would be rendered ineffective if you kept hitting it (in the same place). I miss this. It was a good system and it worked.

It's bizarre that this game represents armour for the player by giving more HP, but on the aliens by giving a 30% chance to miss your shot entirely.

It's also bizarre that people defend this design choice as 'logical', when it blatantly isn't.

Also I'm not sure why people like missing a shot from point blank range. This doesn't happen much in other games. It seldom happened in XCom1 if you used burst fire (oh wait, no burst fire in X:EU). Yes we all missed shots in XCom1, but a soldier with full TU available would make a mess of any enemy at point blank, with any appropriate burst fire weapon.

Also LOL at the "ducking and dodging" comment. Give me an AK47, run straight for me (starting a ways away), and see what my chances of missing you are. You can duck and dodge all you like ;) And I've never fired a weapon! We are to assume that elite soldiers can miss an alien running *straight* towards them?

No, I'm happy that this is pretty much the only game I've ever played that gives a 50/50 chance to miss close range enemies. And I've played a lot of TBS, btw.

Soldato
Anyone know the best price for this currently (enemy unknown). I was going to pick it up a few weeks ago for around a tenner, but now its back upto 25-30quid in most places (wtf!).

Soldato
Managed to hold out until monthly report 4 before I'll lose a country. Could be loosing 4 or so by the looks of it :/

Edit: Managed to fluke out and get a random event in Europe that lowered the whole continents alert level, so only lost South Africa in the end \o/

Last edited:
Associate
Validating my game has fixed the weird freezing bug on main menu I was having. Weird as when I tried validating before that, even though it downloaded the same small amount of data, it wouldn't work.

Seems stable now though I've had a couple of seeker related freezes.

As far as difficulty goes, it feel tougher juggling country's panic levels in the initial stages. I've not lost anyone yet but most of Africa, south america and some of asia seem to be on the verge of leaving. There seem to be far more events peppered close together so I'll get an alien abduction event immediately after a shoot down event when most of my A-squad are injured.

Back
Top Bottom