XCOM : Enemy Unknown - by Firaxis Games - Thread

Caporegime
GameInformer unveils XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the cover story of the next issue of their print magazine, revealing Firaxis is at work on a true continuation of the beloved strategy series, as opposed to the X-COM-based first-person shooter that's also now in the works (thanks briktal). They say the game is due for Windows PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, this fall, and while they are withholding "gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more," from the magazine, they do offer a bit on the game:
Unlike 2K Marin's previously announced XCOM shooter, which sparked tempers among longtime fans for turning its back on the series' cerebral roots, this title is a full-on strategy game that puts players in command of a global anti-alien defense force. XCOM's leader needs a worldwide perspective where threats are identified, populations reassured, and national leaders mollified – but a tactical mind is just as critical considering every shot XCOM's soldiers fire on the battlefield is under the player's turn-based control.

"It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM," said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. "We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."​

Caporegime
OP
We have the official press release for the just-revealed XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which offers a few more details on what to expect from the new game:, which was revealed earlier today:
New York, NY – January 5, 2012–2K Games announced today that Firaxis Games, the creative team behind the iconic Sid Meier’s Civilization® franchise, is developing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, an action strategy title that is planned for release in fall 2012. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be instantly recognizable to fans of the original X-COM, while breaking new ground in strategy games for today’s console and Windows PC gamers. With equal emphasis on deep strategy and intense tactical combat, XCOM: Enemy Unknown will place players in control of a secret paramilitary organization called XCOM. As the XCOM commander, players will defend against a terrifying global alien invasion by managing resources, advancing technologies, and overseeing combat strategies and individual unit tactics.

“We’re looking forward to building upon the core gameplay experiences that fans of the original X-COM love, while introducing the franchise to a new generation,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “With Firaxis’ XCOM: Enemy Unknown and 2K Marin’s upcoming XCOM, 2K Games will be offering two different gameplay experiences drawing from the classic X-COM universe. Each game offers a unique XCOM experience in different genres, as envisioned by two different studios with unique creative visions.”

Released in 1993, the original X-COM is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made and has now been re-imagined by the strategy experts at Firaxis Games. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on that legacy with an entirely new invasion story, enemies and technologies to fight aliens and defend Earth. Players will control the fate of the human race through researching alien technologies, creating and managing a fully operational base, planning combat missions and controlling soldier movement in battle.

“It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM,” said Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. “We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise.”

Associate
Thanks for posting Neil79, good find!

The original X-Com is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time, god knows how much time I have sunk into it over the years.

Heres hoping they don't try and reinvent the wheel too much...

"Igor Petrov has panicked..." :)

Soldato
worrying that it has an entirely new invasion story and new aliens - it'll never be as good without Chrysalids spawning chrysalids from civilians and your troops, or sectoids turning your men against you.

I hope they manage to do a good job.

Don
worrying that it has an entirely new invasion story and new aliens - it'll never be as good without Chrysalids spawning chrysalids from civilians and your troops, or sectoids turning your men against you.

I hope they manage to do a good job.
There was nothing like the fear of losing your men to the Chrysalids, so there was only one way to be sure, break out the auto cannons with a mix of incendiary and explosive rounds and completely destroy what ever building they were hiding in.

Soldato
There was nothing like the fear of losing your men to the Chrysalids, so there was only one way to be sure, break out the auto cannons with a mix of incendiary and explosive rounds and completely destroy what ever building they were hiding in.

Yeah, sod the civilians, they're probably dead by now anyway ;)

Soldato

Yeah, sod the civilians, they're probably dead by now anyway ;)

I always preferred the nuke them from orbit method, its the only way to be sure.

Flying suits, and the most powerful explosives i can lay my hands on. :D

Soldato
I only played the first two briefly but XCOM: Apocalypse was one of my favourite games for years, I just loved trying to defend a city against invasion, going into infested blocks and kicking their asses.

Back
Top Bottom