XCOM: Enemy Within

Soldato
Couldn't find a thread for this so I've created one, cannot wait for this. Gonna be hard to balance gaming between this and BF4, loved Enemy Unknown and skipped The Bureau (although you can get it for £7 now).

Anyone else looking forward to this?

A review 9/10 :cool:

Associate
I will almost certainly buy it, mainly as supposedly it addresses one of my main pet peeves of the original - lack of map variety.

My other main criticism, which I am not sure will be addressed, is the pacing of the game. Basically, if you makie it through month 3 with a decent squad intact and not far behind on tech, the game actually gets easier not harder, and barring disaster, you will win. That made mid and late campaign very "samey" each playthrough.

Hopefully this expansion will make the game a challenge the whole way through.

Associate
I thought it was already released but didn't check DUH lol.
Was not going to pay £17.99 for it but seeing it now for 25 % off that price now at GMG going buy it should be great.

Just bought it £13.50 nice.

Last edited:
Associate
Big 4GB update for xcom on steam this morning. Assuming it's a massive patch for the DLC. Surely they're not installing the DLC for everyone and just leaving it there until it's unlocked.

Looks like that big update had nothing to do with Enemy Within updated XCom last night an now downloading the DLC now can't wait to play it. ;)

Associate
The big 4GB patch was updates and improvements to the "Base" game.
Such as 1080p videos across the board, some of which have been altered and improved. Some of the UI/gameplay changes have also been patched into the base game.

The EW content is a seperate 7GB download.

When you launch the game you can choose EU or EW.
If you start a new game and choose EW, it will start from day 1 but with all the EW stuff intermingled, I am assuming slingshot still works, but it hasnt triggered for me yet.

For me, so far the biggest change has been to missions. The first few turns are much quicker and agressive

Soldato
Oh, we are talking about this game in here!
If you start a new game and choose EW, it will start from day 1 but with all the EW stuff intermingled, I am assuming slingshot still works, but it hasnt triggered for me yet.

You can select Slingshot, and the other one(can't remember the name) in the advanced options tab when starting a new game, so it definitely works, and I assume is bundled in with Enemy Within, as I don;t have the other one, but was able to select it?. I hope it is delayed personally, as it could disrupt the flow of the game to have too much introduced at once!...tbh, I already think Meld was introduced a bit early imo.

Soldato
Just the addition of the voices is enough to make the expansion worth it imo:p

The introduction of Meld totally reshapes practically every mission!...though I still don't know what it is, or how it is used as I haven't researched it yet. Research in this game really is an incredibly good mechanic, as it allows you to pretty much control the pace of the game. I imagine researching Meld is probably what truly starts the 'Enemy Within' content, so I shall hold off for a bit and get in to the game first.

PS. It seems that I had never played the tutorial before, as I remember none of it!

Soldato
Ok. Something is up...end of the first month, and I have already lost a country! I didn't receive any money from the Council, so can't buy any satellites or anything!

Associate
Locations are now much more varied - which is a really nice change. Like some on the official forums, I'm finding the aliens to have "better" aim than I recall them having in EU.
Lost two rookies already at the start of a new campaign. The "meld" resource definitely encourages a more aggressive playstyle which may account for more soldier deaths. I think the aliens are smarter too - seem to work more closely in teams, better use of overwatch etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom