Xonar DG - ultimate budget headphone card?

Soldato
Yep mine came today too, nice one OcUK; can't wait to get off from work and try it out later. I will post what my ears find going from the onboard of my Asus P5Q Deluxe.

Soldato
Look forwards to your thoughts, I was playing BC2 last night and again thinking how much better the sound was than my previous, both onboard and a much more expensive Creative card. :)

Are all the capacitors straight on yours? Also, what is that bracket for exactly? :confused:

Couple of wonky caps, not too concerened. Should have seen what my old 8800GTS did to an old MSI board of mine...

Edit: the bracket is half height for sff cases. I'm. Sure to get years use from this, as it will go to a future media build IF I upgrade

Last edited:
Associate
I tried my DG out on BFBC2 for the first time last night, sounded really good.

a lot of my mates are saying my mic's a lot cleaner in vent now too, which is a bonus.

Soldato
Just installed. All I can say is if you game/listen to music with headphones and if you don't have a soundcard with headphone amp or seperate amp....

BUY NOW

Coming from the intergrated audio on an Asus P5Q VM (which I thought was excellent) to this is almost literally mind blowing (it goes really loud as well! :D)

Will post more findings in a while when I've had more of a play

Edit: Using with Goldring DR50s

What settings does everyone use?

Soldato
Just a quick report back, as I have only had an hour to install the card and play about a bit. Way more detail and clarity in music and the one game I have tried, BC2. :D
One question, does the card output Dolby Headphone automatically, or do I have to select it somewhere?
*Edit. d brennen, howdo you must have been posting while I was. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ In the main screen of the audio control panel, under the analog out field select headphones. Below that box is the DH setting

Would be interested in seeing what other people use as theres a lot of settings in here for a non-audiophile like me :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Wanted to test some online play then this happened:

Virgin%20Media%20Sucks.JPG

21/09/10@20:51

Customers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the North of England may be experiencing a loss of or intermittent service, slow speeds and packet loss. Our engineers are aware and working towards a resolution.
:( Thought they fixed it, but no. My internet is knackered again. Just in time for my new toy :(

Last edited:
Associate
I spent most of last night listening to my music and admiring the quality ;) I've found settings that work for me and have to say it sounds head and shoulders above my onboard and old Audigy 4. I haven't testing with games yet, but as soon as I can drag myself away from my music I'll give it a test with my 5.1 setup.

Sounds good through my DR150 but now I want some NS1000s to have a play with :D

Soldato
windows xp 32bit - 5.1 in windows control panel

headphone in xonar control centre
dolby headphone ticked - DH2 in control centre
prologic II 7.1 upmixer ticked

5.1 selected in game or home cinema in BC2.

That's interesting. Using Vista/7, gives channel selection the Xonar CP. Switching channel, alters Windows speaker setting. So, selecting 5.1 in the Windows sound properties, changes to 6 channel in the Xonar CP, and vice versa, which disables PL II. With XP, as there are no channels in the Xonar CP, selecting 5.1 in Windows sound properties, leaves the PLII tick box available.

I wonder if there is any difference between selecting 2 (stereo) or 6 (5.1) channels in Windows XP sound properties, in relation to how PLII works. If I remember, might try some testing later. :)

Soldato
Odd problem with the card I noticed late last night, the "Click" (Start Navigation iirc) noise Windows 7 does when navigating between folders is not playing correctly. It's as if the sound is cut short. All other sounds and music sounds amazing though

Anyone else got this on their DG?

Soldato
Odd problem with the card I noticed late last night, the "Click" (Start Navigation iirc) noise Windows 7 does when navigating between folders is not playing correctly. It's as if the sound is cut short. All other sounds and music sounds amazing though

Yes. Set it to 2 channels, it should be fine then.

Associate

yup also have it, doesn't bother me too much though - and as Mr Krugga pointed out it seems ok on 2 channels.

Associate
That's interesting. Using Vista/7, gives channel selection the Xonar CP. Switching channel, alters Windows speaker setting. So, selecting 5.1 in the Windows sound properties, changes to 6 channel in the Xonar CP, and vice versa, which disables PL II. With XP, as there are no channels in the Xonar CP, selecting 5.1 in Windows sound properties, leaves the PLII tick box available.

I wonder if there is any difference between selecting 2 (stereo) or 6 (5.1) channels in Windows XP sound properties, in relation to how PLII works. If I remember, might try some testing later. :)

It would be interesting to know if this sounds any different. As you say XP doesn't show the channels in the xonar control panel. PLII made it all sound even better for me :D

Soldato
I tried Uni Xonar modified drivers. Never had any issues with Asus ones, but I was intrigued to see what they were like, after another OcUK member said he found them superior. One of the most notable changes was to PLII. Apparently, PLII does not upmix 2 channel as it should. People have complained for a long time about this, and still Asus have done nothing to address it. From a sound quality point of view, I could hear no difference. People have said the Uni drivers improve the sound, but that makes sense if they are coming from Asus drivers that don't work properly.

PLII though, I found significantly different to the Asus drivers. Comparing 2 channel + DH + PLII to 6 channel + DH, I found PLII did not have the clarity which I heard with 6 channel + DH. This is with Win7, as PLII is only selectable with 2 channel. The Uni drivers made PLII sound closer to 6 channel or more, and the sound had more clarity. This I tested using The Matrix.

If I remember, and have time, I would like to compare the Uni drivers to the Asus ones, using XP. Again comparing PLII upmixing to 6 or more channels.

Back
Top Bottom