Xonar DG - ultimate budget headphone card?

Associate
It should do. I can't comment myself, personally I can't play games with headphones on, it just doesn't 'work' for me. Some of the other posts in this thread are others opinions on positional audio, which appear to be pretty good.

Soldato
Well quite a few people that have bought a DG have noticed an improvement over on-board audio, despite the fact that it is so cheap. It has Dolby Headphone, which is used to simulate surround sound with stereo headphones, so I'd say yes, you will get better positional sound results. :)

I take it the 4H are stereo, and not one of their USB headsets? They seem to release quite a few SS, not too clued up on all the model numbers. :)

Associate
It should do. I can't comment myself, personally I can't play games with headphones on, it just doesn't 'work' for me. Some of the other posts in this thread are others opinions on positional audio, which appear to be pretty good.

Well quite a few people that have bought a DG have noticed an improvement over on-board audio, despite the fact that it is so cheap. It has Dolby Headphone, which is used to simulate surround sound with stereo headphones, so I'd say yes, you will get better positional sound results. :)

I take it the 4H are stereo, and not one of their USB headsets? They seem to release quite a few SS, not too clued up on all the model numbers. :)

thanks for your input...

I'm just trying to avoid the "buying the wrong gear" trap... as always :)

Yep the 4H are stereo headsets, non usb and I'm not going down the real, virtual route once again!!

It's just that this DG just seems to be such a "good" buy and makes sense rather than splashing out £100+ on a soundcard that's not needed. I've read a few of the threads in here now and understand the option of HEADPHONES as opposed to HEADSETS but the latter is one that I would prefer to take for FPS's/gaming use which they will be used for 98% of the time. I'm fortunate enough to have other rigs/systems set up to use for music and films etc. and use speakers for them.

Money wise if this card can improve positional awareness without changing my current headsets - all well and good

hence the question - any further input would be appreciated :)

Soldato
The DG is an almost 'no brainer' IMO. To get a headphone amp, and Dolby Headphone for £26 or there abouts, makes it as Uriel said, 'ultimate budget headphone card?'. He was asking that, and looking at the length of the thread, and so many positive comments, I'd say a definite yes.

Associate
Hello.
I am planning on buying a new set of headphones for my Xonar DG.
Although I would like to buy the NS100, they are not shipped in my country (Greece). :(
So my second option is this:
JVC HA-RX900.
Unless I manage to find somewhere the Superlux HD668B.
What do you think?
Is there anything else in this budget?

Last edited:
Soldato
The JVC RX700's are liked by quite a lot of people, but I don't know if the RX900's are better still. Never heard of the Superlux's TBH. However, there are some favourable comments on Head-fi. One guy had Trust headphones previously, but you can't go on someone's recommendation really until they have used something better than Trust. However, one guy has some HD600's, and he seemed to be impressed with the Superlux's considering their price. Hard to know how they compare to the Goldring's though.

TBH, I don't think you could go far wrong with any of them, going on the comments I've seen at least.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Associate
I had the Superlux HD668b and found the sound very good. The clamping force was a bit much, standard pads are rubbish so i bought the akg ones that improved things. the plastic headband dug into my head and caused annoyance so couldnt wear for more than an hour without soreness.

For the money tho, amazing, maybe my head is just too big.

Soldato
Got my Xonar DG this morning. Not really had chance to fully test it yet.

The first thing I've noticed is that none of the presets like 'jazz' etc seem to have any effect. Neither does DH. Might have to reinstall the drivers and see if that helps.

Caporegime

The first thing I've noticed is that none of the presets like 'jazz' etc seem to have any effect. Neither does DH. Might have to reinstall the drivers and see if that helps.

FYI they almost all made an unmistakable difference on mine, especially DH and especially through headphones.

Soldato

I don't know about the DG, but on my Essence STX, none of the presets or DH work unless you set it to more than 2 channels.

Associate
Finally! I've been using the UNi drivers for this reason exclusively, I'm not sure I'll switch back though, but it's good to know the programmers are finally earning their keep ;)

Soldato
OP
:eek:

But I want the upmixing issue when using 2 channel! Or at least I would if I still used a Xonar. :(

That's how it's supposed to work dammit! It thought it was a feature not an issue.

Can't keep all the people happy all the time can you?

Last edited:
Soldato
I must say I'm very impressed with the DG so far. I can honestly say I haven't noticed any/much difference between the DG and the DX. If anything, I'm preferring the DG.

Probably the best £26 I've ever spent on PC hardware! :)

Back
Top Bottom