Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Caporegime
Well, seems the specs of the Sony Z1 Mini seem to have got a wee bit more 'unoficially official': http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/leaked...3-inch-screen-sony-xperia-z1-mini-15-09-2013/

xperia-z1-mini.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 Mini is expected to feature a similar set of specifications as the Xperia Z1 in a smaller body. The leaked document confirms that Sony Xperia Z1 Mini features a 4.3-inch display and a quad-core Snapdragon 800 SoC. The document doesn’t mention the resolution, but earlier rumors suggested that it will feature 720p resolution compared to 1080p in Xperia Z1. This shouldn’t be a problem considering the compact screen size of Sony Xperia Z1 Mini.

xperia-z1-mini

Other rumored specifications include the same 20.7MP camera with Sony G Lens; 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage with a microSD card slot, 2,400 mAh battery and will come with the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean out of the box. The device is expected to see the daylight at CES 2014 next year.

The rumored specifications could increase the price of the device since the mini versions from Samsung and HTC come with lower specifications, so it is highly unlikely – in my opinion — that Sony Xperia Z1 Mini will boast the same specifications as its bigger version.

FINALLY, after the disappointingly cut down version of the Galaxy S3/S4Mini, and HTC One Mini, we now have a "Mini" sized phone that will very likely have the same uber-specifications as the premium oversized phone! Same Snapdragon 800SOC, slightly less rez screen, same amazing camera, same waterproofing (critical for me as my last phone died from water exposure). All in what for me is the most perfect form size for practical, pocketable, everyday use.

If this indeed turns out to be true then I am sure as hell waiting for this baby even if I do have to tootle along with a mediocre budget phone until next year. Great stuff. :)

UPDATE:

Finally, its announced for the EU! http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-z1-compact-331116/ :D

Sony announces the Xperia Z1 Compact, a ‘no comprise’ 4.3-inch handset

At tonight’s Sony press conference, the Xperia Z1 Compact was finally officially unveiled. As excepted, the handset is essentially just as powerful as its bigger brother, only in a more condensed from with a lower-resolution display.

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is certainly a welcome addition in a world where most “miniature” handsets tend to deviate far from the specs found in the phones they are named after.

Specs and features

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact packs a 720p 4.3-inch display and the same Snapdragon 800 CPU found inside the Z1. The design similar to the previously released Japanese Xperia Z1f, though a few things have been changed around a bit.

Here’s the full skinny on what to expect from the Xperia Z1 Compact:

• 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU
  • Adren 330 GPU
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 20.7MP camera with Sony G-Lens and Bionz mobile
  • 2MP front-cam
  • Video recording:1080p @ 30fps video capture, both cameras
  • Storage: 16GB with microSD for expansion
  • Battery: 2300 mAh
  • 4.3-inch Triluminous IPS display with 720p resolution, 341 ppi
  • WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, A-GPS+GLONASS, microUSB 2.0 (MHL), BlueTooth 4.0 LE
  • Dimensions: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm, 137g
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, planned upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat
  • 2,300 mAh battery
  • multi-touch input, proximity sensor, FM Radio, built-in accelerometer
  • Black, White, Pink, Lime, Yellow

As you can see, the Xperia Z1 Compact really is a beast, from its high-quality camera to its CPU and beyond. Sure, the display might not be as impressive as the Z1, but it’s still more than capable of providing a solid visual experience.

This may well be my next phone, but I will wait and see what the Sony Z2 Avatar is like first! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
8GB of internal storage, is that some kind of joke? Lots of apps cannot use SD card storage so one better be a light user. My next phone will likely have at least 32GB

It doesn't realistically make much difference... it has a MicroSD slot. You will not fill 8GB with apps... even on my Galaxy S III I probably used around 3GB with loads of intensive apps installed.

Soldato
Looks good to me, make it the 2013 Nexus 4 and I'm sold.

Edit:
Oh yeah. Remove all bezels from the Z1 design too. A 4.3" phone can be tiny.

Soldato
Isnt the large 5" LG going to be called the Nexus 5? That leaves a nice gap for a new Nexus 4 (The numbers denote screen sizes now)

Soldato
Isnt the large 5" LG going to be called the Nexus 5? That leaves a nice gap for a new Nexus 4 (The numbers denote screen sizes now)
I doubt they would release two phones since the Nexus 5 is only slightly larger overall. Making two devices so close together is a bit silly.

Caporegime
OP
8GB is not the difficult to fill with apps.

Fair enough if you are a heavy gamer it may be easier, but for me who doesn't really ise a phone for gaming, and when he does doesn't play intensive 3D games, it's fine.

Anyway don't believe the 8GB rumour just yet, I would be surprised if they put less than 16GB in given how cheap and standardit is.

Man of Honour
Don't forget that 8gb will probably house the OS as well so you'll easily fill the remaining space with apps especially if you use Google music with its cache

Caporegime
OP
Don't forget that 8gb will probably house the OS as well so you'll easily fill the remaining space with apps especially if you use Google music with its cache

Personally I think that the 8GB part doesn't make sense anyway given the rest of the specs, but we will see in a month or two I guess!

Soldato
I'd be surprised if the S800 was the SoC for this phone.

same..

I'd love sony to do it but I can't see it happening if they did it would really be a good choice for those that want a smaller phone! :)

snappie 600
2gb ram
4.3 screen
720p res
20mpx sensor
alu body
sony design
waterproof
wireless charging
good audio chip
16/32gb internal + sd card

and you've got a top end MINI phone IMO.

Soldato
same..

I'd love sony to do it but I can't see it happening if they did it would really be a good choice for those that want a smaller phone! :)

snappie 600
2gb ram
4.3 screen
720p res
20mpx sensor
alu body
sony design
waterproof
wireless charging
good audio chip

+ shrink the obese bezels :p

Caporegime
Looks good, I rather they just stick with a lower end chipset like dual core S4 and adreno 320 (pretty much the moto X "setup") in order to cut the price down somewhat (or use the money they save and put it towards areas where we would see a noticeable difference i.e. camera, battery, screen) plus with a 720P screen, there really isn't any need for a more powerful GPU & it is pointless having that sort of power anyway due to the thermal throttling with that chipset.

Lets hope that the screen is of good quality (in terms of viewing angles and not being washed out) and Sony improve their support/updates + don't release about 5 different versions of this phone :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
same..

snappie 600
2gb ram
4.3 screen
720p res
20mpx sensor
alu body
sony design
waterproof
wireless charging
good audio chip

Its obviously going to be the same design as the Z1 but shrunk, so take away the bits from that list that the Z1 doesn't have, like alu body etc

Looks good, I rather they just stick with a lower end chipset like dual core S4 and adreno 320 (pretty much the moto X "setup") in order to cut the price down somewhat (or use the money they save and put it towards areas where we would see a noticeable difference i.e. camera, battery, screen) plus with a 720P screen, there really isn't any need for a more powerful GPU & it is pointless having that sort of power anyway due to the thermal throttling with that chipset.

Lets hope that the screen is of good quality (in terms of viewing angles and not being washed out) and Sony improve their support/updates + don't release about 5 different versions of this phone :p

Meh, Snapdragon 600 at a minimum please... I want it as future-proof as possible so it doesn't feel like a dog 1.5 years down the line (like the SII did).

Caporegime
Its obviously going to be the same design as the Z1 but shrunk, so take away the bits from that list that the Z1 doesn't have, like alu body etc

Meh, Snapdragon 600 at a minimum please... I want it as future-proof as possible so it doesn't feel like a dog 1.5 years down the line (like the SII did).

2.5 years on, and my S2 still feels fine, what they heck do you do with your phone that needs more speed? :p

As for this, pass. Haven't thought much about any of Sony's phones over the past few years, though that is probably more down to me balking at the idea of LCD screens nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom