XXL_Folding

Associate
Isn't it more economical to build a 4P Opteron system than to add 4 GTX680s? In terms of power usage and maybe even building cost.

Don't get me wrong. 4 680s stacked and watercooled is very sexy looking and will also fold quite nicely. Just making conversation :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Isn't it more economical to build a 4P Opteron system than to add 4 GTX680s? In terms of power usage and maybe even building cost.

Absolutely. No question about it.

Don't get me wrong. 4 680s stacked and watercooled is very sexy looking and will also fold quite nicely. Just making conversation :)

That's the only reason for doing it.

As I said in a post above, I never actually intended building a system like this. My next project was going to be a small gaming rig and then I was going to build a 4p Folding rig or two. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked by a cheap board etc and here I am. The way I look at it is, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to make a job of it. I'll still build the 4p rig(s), just not for a while yet.

I don't mind you asking the questions - hell, I'd probably ask the same if it was somebody else. This is one of those projects I've wanted to do since the SR-2 board first appeared. Once I've got it out of my system, I can get back to the relative sanity of building sensible (;)) quad socket Opteron/Xeon systems :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Actually, thinking about it. It's kinda strange being told the PC you're building is less practical than a quad socket server machine which will have no other purpose than sitting in a corner crunching numbers for a distributed computing project. I kinda like it :D

Also, there's a good chance I might end up using it as my gaming rig. I'm going to get it built and see how it performs as a gaming rig and, if it turns out good (can't think of any reason it wouldn't), I may well tart up the existing gaming rig and flog it to go towards a 4p rig.

Associate
I totally understand where you're coming from. This is in your mind. It needs to be done before you can relax and do something else :D

Well I am enjoying this build a lot so please carry on. Don't forget to accidentally send me a GTX670 when you get those 680s. My folding rig needs a 3rd one :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Stan: don't worry I think we all have to get the SR-2 & multi-gpu bug out of our system :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is something I'm going to have to do at some point. May as well do it now and get it out of the way.

Usually not at the same time though :)

:o

So get it out of your system!

If you insist :D

Of course I sometimes get half way though one build then change my mind and go for something else, watch out for that :)

Been through that a couple of times already. I've been on the internet looking for bits for this build and see cool stuff and start thinking of other possible projects. I've had to be firm with myself and concentrate on the job in hand. I think it's partly because it's taking so much longer than my usual builds; what with parts being delayed and holidays/work etc. I think If I'd got all the stuff together in one go and then just got on with it, I'd have been less distracted. In future I'm going to have to try to plan things so that there are as few delays as possible but also keep in mind that taking ones time means a neater, more meticulous build.

Man of Honour
Are you still waiting for bits?

If you haven't yet decided on your loop order, I would suggest going pump -> cpu1 -> cpu2 -> rad1 -> gpu's -> rad2 -> res -> pump.

Wasn't sure how many rads you were planning, but I'd get the fastest flow hitting the cpu's first as believe it or not the CPU's will need it more than the gpu's ime.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Are you still waiting for bits?

If you haven't yet decided on your loop order, I would suggest going pump -> cpu1 -> cpu2 -> rad1 -> gpu's -> rad2 -> res -> pump.

Wasn't sure how many rads you were planning, but I'd get the fastest flow hitting the cpu's first as believe it or not the CPU's will need it more than the gpu's ime.

I was planning on a dual loop system. 2 CPUs, motherboard block and 4 GPUs is just too much for 1 triple rad and a single. I was intending using the Hailea water chiller I have from a previous build but I'm pondering putting a radiator in the front bays like you did in your Elysium on the Nostromo build. Was it easy to fit with the EK brackets? Did you have to drill new holes or did you manage to use existing holes?

Stan Lite

Total Posts: 106,385
Posts Per Day: 32.37

106k posts :p

Don't be fooled. I bought 100,000 in a charity post count auction a few years back.

Associate
Great work so far bud, reminds me of my previous WC'd SR2 build in an Elysium case, I was running a pair of x5650's @4.2ghz 24 threads of goodness :)

I had great temps using a triple and double radiator, highest core temp was 60 degrees while folding in an ambient temp of around 22 degrees :)

Heres a pic of the internals of mine:

sr2sale4.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was planning on a dual loop system. 2 CPUs, motherboard block and 4 GPUs is just too much for 1 triple rad and a single. I was intending using the Hailea water chiller I have from a previous build but I'm pondering putting a radiator in the front bays like you did in your Elysium on the Nostromo build. Was it easy to fit with the EK brackets? Did you have to drill new holes or did you manage to use existing holes?

Existing holes.

Here would be my tips.

If you are doing the chiller then I'd put the CPU's on the chiller, they suffer from the heat more than the GPU's in my experience.

Obv you can't put chiller plus rads the rads just warm up the chiller having a negative effect.

Chiller is pretty hefty on the power, have you thought about getting a portable aircon unit for the same sort of power output but you could then cool all the radiators? Anyway its a thought.

Otherwise if you decide not to use the chiller then go for a single loop, you don't gain anything in a dual I have found, just put two pumps in a single loop and you get power of flow, and redundancy in case one pump dies.

Associate
This is manly upon manlies. Agree dual loop looks good, however if it is going to be sitting and crunching numbers, then... thats a different story.

Associate
Having done a Quad GTX680 Watercooled rig myself I know what it's like to do something like this. I had mine set-up on a separate loop for each GPU & CPU all in a Corsair 800D - I'm sure it's somewhere on one of these threads ;)

I'm impressed :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Having done a Quad GTX680 Watercooled rig myself I know what it's like to do something like this. I had mine set-up on a separate loop for each GPU & CPU all in a Corsair 800D - I'm sure it's somewhere on one of these threads ;)

I'm impressed :D

I'd like to see that if you can find it. I had a bit of a look but couldn't find it.

I'm becoming more and more inclined to forget about the chiller and go self contained. It's a noisy @£%^$& of a thing, takes up a lot of room and it only got me an extra 100MHz on my i7 920 over standard WC. I think I'll still go with dual loop - as much for aesthetics as anything else. I might see if I can fit Monstas in there. I'm sure one will fit in the top and there's a good chance I'd get one in the front as well.

For the moment, I'll just be doing the initial CPUs + MB loop with the stuff I have now and having the 3 670s with the stock coolers until I get the new GPUs. Between waiting for 700 series, work and holidays, it's looking like it'll be around August before the final configuration is settled. By then there should be waterblocks for the 700 series if that's the way I choose to go.

Thanks for all the input guys, you've given me a lot to think about and it's been a big help. Keep the advice coming :)

Man of Honour
Bobs was mad, he had a separate loop for each gfx card :eek:

Hmm.. Stick with 120mm fan rads, all 140mm fan rads are poo because of the fans.

360 in top, 360 in front, 120 or 240 in the bottom (if you can git it to fit with that monster PSU) AND.... 120 exhaust at the rear either inside or outside the case, I think you could fit it inside.

Go for thick low fpi rads where possible, but also if necessary swiftech make not too thick rads that have really good performance on low speed fans.

If going for dual loop, you are going to run into pump/res space issues once you have all that radiator acreage stuffed in there. I'd still go for a single loop but thats just me, I'm tired of dual loops :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Hmm.. Stick with 120mm fan rads, all 140mm fan rads are poo because of the fans.

That seems to be the general consensus.

360 in top, 360 in front, 120 or 240 in the bottom (if you can git it to fit with that monster PSU) AND.... 120 exhaust at the rear either inside or outside the case, I think you could fit it inside.

I'm actually toying with the idea of a 480 in the front. I don't really need an optical drive and I was thinking about getting one of those mcubed fan controller things so no need to use up a bay there either and I can use pump top reservoirs. I can't fit a 240 on the bottom because of the humungous PSU. If I can fit the pum/res combos in with the 120 there, I'll leave it. If not I'll take it out. 120 at the back sounds like a good idea, might see how that'll fit.

Go for thick low fpi rads where possible, but also if necessary swiftech make not too thick rads that have really good performance on low speed fans.

Been reading some reviews and labs and it looks like the UT60s are among the best so, since I've already got one, I'll stick with them.

If going for dual loop, you are going to run into pump/res space issues once you have all that radiator acreage stuffed in there. I'd still go for a single loop but thats just me, I'm tired of dual loops :)

As I said above, I'll use pump top reservoirs. With a bit of luck, I can fit two in alongside the bottom rad. If not, I'll remove it.

A bit OTT? You nutter :D

Back
Top Bottom