Yamakasi Catleap 27" 100mhz IPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The glass apparently is held on by tape, personally i would just go for a normal screen as then you have less problems to deal with if something is wrong.

Associate
just seen this thread now cause I seldom come to the monitors section.

I've owned one of these for about 2 weeks, and I'm extremely pleased with it. several of my friends are ordering one after seeing mine.

I haven't really read the thread, but if anyone has any questions, fire away.

Associate
just seen this thread now cause I seldom come to the monitors section.

I've owned one of these for about 2 weeks, and I'm extremely pleased with it. several of my friends are ordering one after seeing mine.

I haven't really read the thread, but if anyone has any questions, fire away.

OK, glad it's worked out for you.
Exactly which one did you get, why that one, how much was it, how long did it take to get to you, any import duty, any issues?

Sorry but you did say fire away.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Associate
I've been reading through this thread with interest. I have a Hasro 27" WA and one of my friends was blown away with it but balked at the cost of the WD or WC for that matter. I have suggested waiting in the hope ocUK offer the WC for £350 incl VAT again, they are in stock again but no special offers yet.

This thread seems to offer another route and I just wanted to confirm I understand the factors so have summerised them below:

ACHIEVA 27" QH270 is same as Hasro WC (lite ver. no speakers)
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 best looking case (SE ver. no speakers)
PCBank PB2700, Crossover, Fineforce are cheaper (uglier?) alternatives.

All panels are LG A- so have been rejected as A+ or A for a reason
Glass ver. is tempered glass stuck on with double sided tape so avoid

Warranty not viable so effectively buyer beware
Not viable to return for dead pixels etc i.e. no DSR to reply on
Approx 10% extra for zero dead pixel, feedback needed to confirm this is of value

No scaling so monitors only work with a PC using graphic card capabilities
No factory calibration and no OSD only backlight/brightness can be adjusted
Creating an ICC Profile for a specific monitor in windows would colour calibrate monitor but display adapter/drivers ignore for directX & openGL games and rendering video.
No HDCP
Current crop of monitors cannot do 100Hz (no longer use the 2B PCB)

A £240 monitor might be liable for Customs 14% £33, VAT 20% £48 and courier handling £10, so could end up costing £331.

Is that everything in a nushell? I guess the Hasro WC are also LG A- panels although Hasro advise they are factory calibrated.

What I am weighing up is will ocUK offer the WC's at £350 again any time soon vs. getting one from Korea with a customs friendly valuation.

Associate
OK, glad it's worked out for you.
Exactly which one did you get, why that one, how much was it, how long did it take to get to you, any import duty, any issues?

Sorry but you did say fire away.
Thanks in advance for your help.

no problem.

I bought the Yamakasi Catleap Q270 (without tempered glass or speakers). I settled on this because it was guaranteed to work with the modified PCB that would allow it to OC to 100Hz, where as it was unconfirmed that the others could. it was also substantially cheaper than the crossover, and I didn't like the look of the achievia.

I paid $358 (worked out to €277 - I'm in Ireland) and I bought from a seller called 'Samsung_Korea'. He ships with FedEX, who deliver to your door, as apposed to EMS, who hand it over to the national postal service (royal mail) I ordered late on a Sunday night, and I recieved it Friday morning. I didn't have to pay any import duty.

I know of several people who bought from sellers who used EMS, and all of them paid customs (valued at ~€150 because they paid €30)
I'm not sure if I got lucky, or if its because FedEX don't hand it over go the local postal service. I don't know of anyone else who used FedEX to confirm.

I didn't pay for a pixel check (I think its a farce, and my seller didn't offer it at the time anyway) but I still got a perfect monitor. no dead or stuck pixels, no bleed of any kind etc.

The stand is cheap. there really is no denying it. it wobbles a bit when I'm playing music with heavy bass on my sound system with a sub, but not enough to actually distract you.

That said, I couldn't be happier. I tried gaming on my older (still decent iiyama 1080p) monitor, and all I can say is that I'll never go back to 1080p or TN panels. its IPS 1440p or 1600p from now on. there just is no comparison. If I accidentally broke this screen today, I'd have a new one ordered tomorrow.

sorry for the wall of text. any more questions?

Associate
How's yours going Bal?

Edit: I spoke with bigclothcraft and asked about Perfect Pixel he said "none are guaranteed as man at factory may be lazy" and said he would refund the difference if i found dead/stuck pixels.

Last edited:
Associate
Is that everything in a nushell? I guess the Hasro WC are also LG A- panels although Hasro advise they are factory calibrated.
You could still calibrate a 'lesser quality' panel so I don't get what you're trying to say. Also:
It is completely false that we take 'A-' grade panels [such a grade doesn't exist with LG panels]. All consumer grade LCDs [be it for the laptop, mobile phone, TV or monitor market] are A~A1 grade. A batch of panels typically consists of <20% perfect A grade panels - if vendors were to stipulate that they should have ONLY A grade, prices of LCDs would be much higher [A grade panels are used mainly in medical displays].

Associate
no problem.

I bought the Yamakasi Catleap Q270 (without tempered glass or speakers). I settled on this because it was guaranteed to work with the modified PCB that would allow it to OC to 100Hz, where as it was unconfirmed that the others could. it was also substantially cheaper than the crossover, and I didn't like the look of the achievia.

I paid $358 (worked out to €277 - I'm in Ireland) and I bought from a seller called 'Samsung_Korea'. He ships with FedEX, who deliver to your door, as apposed to EMS, who hand it over to the national postal service (royal mail) I ordered late on a Sunday night, and I recieved it Friday morning. I didn't have to pay any import duty.

I know of several people who bought from sellers who used EMS, and all of them paid customs (valued at ~€150 because they paid €30)
I'm not sure if I got lucky, or if its because FedEX don't hand it over go the local postal service. I don't know of anyone else who used FedEX to confirm.

I didn't pay for a pixel check (I think its a farce, and my seller didn't offer it at the time anyway) but I still got a perfect monitor. no dead or stuck pixels, no bleed of any kind etc.

The stand is cheap. there really is no denying it. it wobbles a bit when I'm playing music with heavy bass on my sound system with a sub, but not enough to actually distract you.

That said, I couldn't be happier. I tried gaming on my older (still decent iiyama 1080p) monitor, and all I can say is that I'll never go back to 1080p or TN panels. its IPS 1440p or 1600p from now on. there just is no comparison. If I accidentally broke this screen today, I'd have a new one ordered tomorrow.

sorry for the wall of text. any more questions?

Fantastic thanks, very clear answers, ordered today, cheers.

Associate
You could still calibrate a 'lesser quality' panel so I don't get what you're trying to say. Also:

I'm trying to ascertain and confirm my understanding that as there is no OSD menu, no hardware changes can be made other than altering the backlight brightness control to an optimum starting point. No control of the RGB channels or contrast and so all other corrections would be made at a graphics card LUT level through the creation of the ICC profile.

As the display adapter/drivers ignore the ICC profile the PQ would be "as is" for directX & openGL games and rendering video. I just wonder what calibration state these monitors arrive in? Hasro state they factory calibrate the WC (including gamma to 2.2) and this might be worth something.

Thanks for the heads up regarding LG panel grading or lack of it for the consumer market and Hasro's denial that they are graded, I read somewhere (probably on overclock.net) about Apple Dell getting the best grades.

Last edited:
Associate
The panels that are used in these monitors are the ones that were declined by Dell, Apple and HP. The reason the monitors are cheap is because half the functions you expect to see have not been included like the OSD and other things like an ad-board.

Hazro basically do the same as the companies listed in this thread apart from charge you an extra £200.

Last edited:
Associate
The panels that are used in these monitors are the ones that were declined by Dell, Apple and HP. The reason the monitors are cheap is because half the functions you expect to see have not been included like the OSD and other things like an ad-board.

Hazro basically do the same as the companies listed in this thread apart from charge you an extra £200.

So my comment in my original post is correct then these panels (including panels Hasro get) have been declined for a reason. I assume they are not phsically rejected and sent back to LG so there must be some sort of grading by LG before they are sent out?

Trying to understand this, Apple, Dell & HP are guaranteed a certain quality everybody else is pot luck and Hasro state about 20% of what they get would have met Apple, Dell & HP quality requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom