Yewen looks at: Lian Li S80b

Soldato
OP
I modded the 4 pin molex, is a guide in the sticky that I use under V. :)

I would be happy to go into my finding indepth on the fans with you, but as for most people it is not an issue I have not included such information in my mini review.

Fans are very personal, some people hate the noise of air moving and others hate motor noise, I personally can not stand air moving, yet never hear motor noise from most fans.

The S80 thankfully works best 2 in 1 out, nothing complicated just volt mod decent fans that you like. Unlike the v1000+ which can be a mare to get right!

I have not got the funds to try a wide variety of fans, and I usually don't have the money to risk a dud purchase, at least with cases the second hand value is high, fans just don't sell well second hand. Why I do not have extensive experience with fans, I stick to what I like.

Will be trying the Sharkoons soon though. :) (Read that as when I get some money.)

Associate
I have tried the case with the two intake fans turned off (very noisy those two i tell thee) and my temps have rose by about 4 degrees !!! I was expecting a massive increase, so i may just run it with no intake - its very quiet now!

Soldato
OP
4deg is a massive increase, the hard drives will be up a little bit aswell. :p

The stock fans are dire, same ones as are fitted on the K60 and G7, in comparisson distinctly value cases.

If Lian Li had have shipped the case £15 cheaper with no fans I would be happier.

Associate
Damn straight - i originally thought they were quite handy, however the more i listened the more dissapointed i became! A shame as the case is very expensive.

What speed have you got your front two intakes at? I am now thinking of getting some s-flexes with the very low rpm as i have realised that the case temps are acceptable for me - they will just be blowing some air over the HD heatsinks...

Would that seem ok yo you Yewen? With the stock fans on i can hear the turbulance coming out of the rear 120mm fan!!! It took me ages to come to that conclusion as they were the furthest away from the loudest noise! It was those buggers though!

Any other tips for me? I dont think ill need that towel idea though???! Next looudest part is the seasonic s12 and then the zalman vf900 but i dont think i can calm those down...
Does anyone know what the 3 pin fan link does for the seasonic s12? I have it plugged into the mainboard but thats about it, my dfi can only adjust 3 fans even though there are plugs for 5! Any ideas

Thanks Guys

Soldato
OP
The seasonic will not allow speed alteration, just for monitoring the speed.

If you only have say two hard drives then you could get away with just the one front fan.

Low RPM sounds like a plan, something at 5v just for that bit of air is perfectly fine. :)

Nothing else to suggest really, the case has fantastic potential for being silent but you appear to be having the same trouble I did with getting the fans just right, Acoutsifan Dustproofs go very well in this case, usually prone to a slight hum but due to the double panelling at 5v they are completely innaudable at 20cm. :)

Associate
Thanks Yewen, you are indeed worthy of the rank of Jedi Case Master :p

That cleared up what that fan cable on the seasonic does (bugger all then!). I am after complete silence... Its golden apparently ?

So as in a previous post i have ordered 3x120mm silent eagles running at 1000rpm. Supposed to be very quiet, i should in theory only be able to hear the rear extract fan of those three.

1x80mm silent eagle 2000rpm. I am wondering on whether i even need that top extract fan? i have placed my hand on top of the seasonic and have noticed it gets quite warm, it would presumably stop the warm air re-entering the case from the seasonic - any thoughts on that top fan? Noise wise, i would imagine it too be very quiet as its mounted quite far into the case. What speed do you have your dustproof at? Are there any noticible temp changes with it in/out?

2xVF900's running at low speed (inaudible)

Artic Freezer Pro64 - Im not sure i even like this heatsink now, but it is only spinning around 500rpm so should be silent(ish)

DFI motherboard fan - i have AS5'd this and yet it still likes to spin at 3000rpm to maintain about 45degree temp

The case is def a blessing and im hoping once the fans arrive i will be able to leave it for the next year until i upgrade once more!

Any final thoughts...

Soldato
OP
I have the top fan installed (a Dustproof) and not running at the moment, the PSU will get hot in any case but it will throttle its fans acordingly, not many cases have a fan above the PSU so the S80 can survive I think.

It is however very handy if you want to fit water, as it means you know there is ample space.

Good luck with the fans, the S80 can survive on very low airflow, although the internal panels get VERY warm to touch, but it is not an issue.

(My TR3a is reporting 40deg side panel temps. :D)

Soldato
OP
An update for anyone interested.

Not running any fans at all now, warm side panels and it is coping very well.

Not ran it under load for long enough to report temperatures while gaming, will be having a all nighter on WoW soon so that should be fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom