Yogventures! - Kickstarter

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I don't understand the hate towards the yogscast. I'm not interested in any of their Minecraft/WoW videos but I think their other stuff is great and I can't see why people think they have huge ego's?

Jealous of their money making skills. :p

Associate
I remember when these guys were making tuts for Ulduar hard mode achievements.. what's happened?!

Heaven forbid someone actually donates $10,000.. a lunch with those two is hardly a "reward"

Soldato
Basically there a bunch of egotistical adults who get paid to talk like children when playing video games.

As such this appeals to the masses of kids browsing youtube for video game videos.

Personally i think there a bunch of morons with huge huge ego's.

In a nutshell they claim that minecraft is only successful because of them.

ah, good to see the hate towards the game is mostly people being jealous of their success. from what ive seen of them they're just a couple of funny guys who like to be silly on video games. feel free to show me otherwise, but i'm not trawling the internet to see if you guys are right

also, i wouldnt be surprised if they brought a lot of people into minecraft, so they've certainly made it more successful, but i know full well they wont have made it a success single handedly

Soldato
ah, good to see the hate towards the game is mostly people being jealous of their success. from what ive seen of them they're just a couple of funny guys who like to be silly on video games. feel free to show me otherwise, but i'm not trawling the internet to see if you guys are right

also, i wouldnt be surprised if they brought a lot of people into minecraft, so they've certainly made it more successful, but i know full well they wont have made it a success single handedly

I think you're right. God forbid anyone should have fun playing games and put the highlights on youtube, thats so childish! unlike you know, the other people playing games and not doing that. I doubt these guys started out planning to build an empire but people enjoy what they do and theyve parlayed that into a career. More power to them.

Soldato
This kickstarter business is a bit strange. I find it hard to justify donating money towards a game that could well flop anyway or turn a guy into a millionaire. Either way I can't see myself getting much out of it and some guy is probably going to get loaded off everyone else just donating them money because even a flopped game makes some money for the devs. Give it to charity instead.

Sure the indy scene is probably going to end up reliant on this kind of thing but if you ask me, everyone who donates should get their money back once the game has made so much profit. Do the devs not owe it to their supporters?

Soldato
Funders get a cheap game they're actually interested in? If it fails, if a lot fail, then the whole thing will fold. Otherwise charity is something you might want to do as well as gaming, not instead of.

Associate
Basically there a bunch of egotistical adults who get paid to talk like children when playing video games.

As such this appeals to the masses of kids browsing youtube for video game videos.

Personally i think there a bunch of morons with huge huge ego's.

In a nutshell they claim that minecraft is only successful because of them.

Just gonna say, Notch was an arse too at minecon so >.>

Think this is fairly awful, and it's a smart marketing decision but why have another minecraft clone that the public paid for needlessly?

Associate
It's a disgrace that these two will be given over $300k to make that game. Two-faced, money-grabbing idiots.

Caporegime
It's a disgrace that these two will be given over $300k to make that game. Two-faced, money-grabbing idiots.

I don't particularly find them funny, but I guess I'm not their target 'audience'

I just think that it's basically money grabbing from these guys, and that it's a shame so many people have fallen for it :(

There are some really awesome indie developers out there with really good idea's who would use this money, for so much more.

Associate
I personally don't mind them too much. Their mod spot lights are alright and some of their adventure maps... but this game just looks atrocious.

Associate
I don't particularly find them funny, but I guess I'm not their target 'audience'

I just think that it's basically money grabbing from these guys, and that it's a shame so many people have fallen for it :(

There are some really awesome indie developers out there with really good idea's who would use this money, for so much more.

Exactly. Also, they probably don't need any money to develop an indie game, think of how much they already have made from Youtube. The fact that they are going to be over $300k richer makes me sick, they don't deserve it at all.

Associate
Exactly. Also, they probably don't need any money to develop an indie game, think of how much they already have made from Youtube. The fact that they are going to be over $300k richer makes me sick, they don't deserve it at all.

No one knows how much people really make off YouTube but is safe to say they don't have 300k to spend on a game when they have a house, office and staff to pay for.

I agree that the money could be spent on better projects but it's not the Yogscast fault no ones funding them its the gaming community. A community that would rather have a Yogscast game so who are we to call them idiots for funding what they like and want.

Let's be honest if any of us had the resources they have we would love to create are own video game, I don't see it as money grabing just two guys who want their own game. For all we know this could be a fraction of the development cost and they are just using kick-starter to show interest to the investors as other games have done with kick-starter.

Associate
No one knows how much people really make off YouTube but is safe to say they don't have 300k to spend on a game when they have a house, office and staff to pay for.

I agree that the money could be spent on better projects but it's not the Yogscast fault no ones funding them its the gaming community. A community that would rather have a Yogscast game so who are we to call them idiots for funding what they like and want.

Let's be honest if any of us had the resources they have we would love to create are own video game, I don't see it as money grabing just two guys who want their own game. For all we know this could be a fraction of the development cost and they are just using kick-starter to show interest to the investors as other games have done with kick-starter.

I have a rough idea of what they make and it's certainly more than half a million sterling a year. 67 Million views in the last 30 days at the very least that's £40K (and i'm guessing they run more than the one main channel on monetized assets) so probably a cool million a year with their other channels (Bluexephos is the one I looked at)

Last edited:
Associate
Then you also have advertising revenue from their website, revenue from shop items, and forum subscriptions. They have multiple channels of revenue for funding this sort of development. But as said, if other people are willing to fund the project for them, why should they fund it themselves?

Back
Top Bottom