You asked for 256GB for less than £100 and here it is!! Crucials V4!! IN STOCK & BENCHMARKED!!

Associate
Just like raiding a pair of HDD's, use the motherboards controller, set it to RAID, configure RAID in BIOS, then format the RAID partition and install your O.S. and/or APPS. :)

Gibbo - What if I wanted to use two drives together in RAID0, not for performance, but size, and use the combined size as a data drive, leaving the o/s on a seperate ssd.

Would that still be setting up RAID in the BIOS, but just selecting the two data drives to form an array and leaving the o/s one out, or try and do with though Windows disk management?

Ta :)

Associate
TRIM is supported for SSD in RAID on the Z77 motherboards only.

I got the asrock extreme 4 z77 board from OCUK and love it. Im sooooo tempted to get a raid configuration going but .....seriously..... i never transfer large amounts of files so having 1000mbps is just wasted!!!!

Major benefit of an SSD drive is the access times. everything opens & usable when you click it.

Soldato
Gibbo - What if I wanted to use two drives together in RAID0, not for performance, but size, and use the combined size as a data drive, leaving the o/s on a seperate ssd.

Would that still be setting up RAID in the BIOS, but just selecting the two data drives to form an array and leaving the o/s one out, or try and do with though Windows disk management?

Ta :)

That's what I did when I received my 120GB 2E. I wanted to leave my OS drive alone and RAID the new drive with my existing other SSD. Firstly, I cleared out the SSD I was setting up RAID on as it will need formatting. I then set all the registry entries to 3 as listed in this (way too long) thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/28709
Then changed AHCI to RAID in my BIOS, rebooted and pressed CTRL+i at POST, set up a RAID0 between my V100 and my 2E (left my C300 with Windows on it alone). Then allowed Windows to boot up fully and hey presto - my 120GB C300 with Windows is fine, and I have a new 240GB GB drive showing that's actually my two other SSDs in RAID0. :)

Associate

That's what I did when I received my 120GB 2E. I wanted to leave my OS drive alone and RAID the new drive with my existing other SSD. Firstly, I cleared out the SSD I was setting up RAID on as it will need formatting. I then set all the registry entries to 3 as listed in this (way too long) thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/28709
Then changed AHCI to RAID in my BIOS, rebooted and pressed CTRL+i at POST, set up a RAID0 between my V100 and my 2E (left my C300 with Windows on it alone). Then allowed Windows to boot up fully and hey presto - my 120GB C300 with Windows is fine, and I have a new 240GB GB drive showing that's actually my two other SSDs in RAID0. :)

Ta chaps, considering trashing my setup with Win8 is released, and will look to do this.

Unless of course, the storage pool functionality of 8 creates the same kind of setup but allowing different types of drive to create the pool. But I can't see how it will be as quick as a true RAID0 setup.

Anyway, thanks again, and back on topic, bloody silly price for 256gb of SSD!;)

Associate
Hi Guys,

i've never had a SSD before but after ordering my new 1k rig from OCUK a few weeks back (thanks btw built, up and running like a dream) i want to get a SSD to finish it off.

Now as i said, never used them so i have no idea what sort of perfomance improvement i would get but from reading reviews it seems to be pretty massive. my question is

Would i notice the difference in speeds (drastically) between this 256 and say the vertex 4 below? or would the speed be unnoticable (will be using mainly for os load, and games such as BF3, Shogun2 etc) or would it be slightly noticable but for double the capacity better of getting the one on offer in this post?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-106-OC&groupid=701&catid=2104&subcat=

Soldato
Hi Guys,

i've never had a SSD before but after ordering my new 1k rig from OCUK a few weeks back (thanks btw built, up and running like a dream) i want to get a SSD to finish it off.

Now as i said, never used them so i have no idea what sort of perfomance improvement i would get but from reading reviews it seems to be pretty massive. my question is

Would i notice the difference in speeds (drastically) between this 256 and say the vertex 4 below? or would the speed be unnoticable (will be using mainly for os load, and games such as BF3, Shogun2 etc) or would it be slightly noticable but for double the capacity better of getting the one on offer in this post?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-106-OC&groupid=701&catid=2104&subcat=

I would go for this 256GB, great value for money and if you're coming from an HDD this will be great. There's only a few cases where its worth it to have a faster SSD, and for gaming/general use one like this is ideal. If I had some spare cash I'd get one for Steam!

Soldato
OP
To answer a few Qs

Yes, this would be ideal to replace an aging SATA-II drive in a laptop.

Yes, it would be perfect for ultra fast storage over a conventional HDD.

Yes, it would be ideal as a boot drive if your moving from a Mechanical drive.

If your after the best in performance your looking at the wrong deal but at the end of the day OcUK get many deals and these deals are for everyone in all markets :)

Associate
I would go for this 256GB, great value for money and if you're coming from an HDD this will be great. There's only a few cases where its worth it to have a faster SSD, and for gaming/general use one like this is ideal. If I had some spare cash I'd get one for Steam!

Cheers

Hopefully will have sold my old pc in next couple of days to give me cash for this bad boy.

Associate
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I'm currently on a Sammy F3 1tb and W7 start up is quite quick anyway, say 15-20 secs from pushing the power button to my desktop being available. The drive is pretty spartan but for Steam and a couple of non-Steam games. Would it be worth keeping W7 on the mechanical drive and just using one of these for Steam/other games? Everything is pretty snappy as is, and I can't be bothered with doing a fresh install to put the OS on there, so would I just be buying it for the sake of buying it?

Soldato
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I'm currently on a Sammy F3 1tb and W7 start up is quite quick anyway, say 15-20 secs from pushing the power button to my desktop being available. The drive is pretty spartan but for Steam and a couple of non-Steam games. Would it be worth keeping W7 on the mechanical drive and just using one of these for Steam/other games? Everything is pretty snappy as is, and I can't be bothered with doing a fresh install to put the OS on there, so would I just be buying it for the sake of buying it?

Sounds like this will be of no use to you tbh.

You really want your OS, daily games & applications on the SSD and then everything else on the mechanical imo.

Associate
Just purchased for my ageing Macbook which is SATA II should throw some new life into it being it was built from other broken Macbooks.

I hope I recieve this on Saturday.

Would cloning my current drive be an issue or is it best to do fresh installs? I need to run both Mac and Windows I work in IT support so it is needed.

I recently installed a V2E SSD on my Macbook (Gen1) using a Time Machine back up. Works a treat.

Back
Top Bottom