you didn't ask the father did you?

Associate
Just about sums up people these days.

It does indeed sum me up that I cared more what my future wife felt about something that isn’t necessary. Her feelings matter more to me than her fathers. Strangely they still matter more to me than her fathers. Perhaps that’s why I married her not him?

Soldato
I think you have missed the point - there is a way you can appreciate everyone and not those inside your own personal bubble.

I'm not arguing or being sarcastic, just my thoughts.

Caporegime
Maybe not asking 'permission' per se, but their blessing or even just letting them know your intentions. A mother and father are giving their most precious treasure to the care of another or are we also saying that the church ceremony and the father 'giving away' the bride is also outdated?

I wouldn't marry someone who still needed the care of their parents, but whatever floats your boat. :p

Associate
Nope I did ask my wife’s father for permission....... We also got married in Las Vegas without any family or friends present either....... Take that tradition!!!!!

Soldato
I asked for their blessing with the intention of marrying her anyway. Been with her for a few years so they know me well enough. Meant a lot to my partner and her parents. I also asked her twin sister which was just as important as asking her parents. Went down well and took 5 mins.

Soldato
I asked for their blessing with the intention of marrying her anyway. Been with her for a few years so they know me well enough. Meant a lot to my partner and her parents. I also asked her twin sister which was just as important as asking her parents. Went down well and took 5 mins.

Well played Sir - and twins you say? ;)

Associate
I had to ask.

My wife is from a traditional Indian family, and in a culture where the parents are usually heavily involved in the selection of a husband for their daughter, the prospect of marrying a 'gora' would have to be discussed.
Lol how did her parents take it? My wife has a few cousins married to 'goras' :p

Associate
I have been with my girlfriend about 13 years at this point. We have no intention of getting married. If I was to ever consider asking her to marry me, her father wouldn't even get an invite to the wedding let alone me asking permission to marry.

We would let people know after the fact, but she would be the one to know first and decide.

Man of Honour
You're taking it too seriously.
My future Son In Law asked me out of respect and for a bit of a joke, he would be marrying her anyway no matter what I said because they'd been living together for 3 years.

Like I said earlier, Fathers used to pay for all the wedding and that's why they were asked, I don't think it happens anymore.

Where's the respect in asking someone for permission to do something you're going to do anyway regardless of what they say? You're just emphasising that they're irrelevant, which is hardly respectful.

I think that respect would be shown by making your spouse's parents the 2nd and 3rd people you inform (after your spouse, obviously) and asking for their approval because it matters to you, not by asking their permission when it doesn't matter to you. I also think it should be done by both spouses with both sets of parents, equally. Maybe even at the same time, so nobody was first just in case that might bother someone.

not caring for one tradition doesn't mean you don't care for all...

Do you not care about the tradition whereby the local feudal Lord gets a go on the bride first on the wedding night for example?

No, because that tradition never existed. Not in England, anyway. I'm not certain about everywhere in the world, but it definitely didn't happen in England. It wasn't tradition. It wasn't even legal. While I've no doubt some lords got away with raping peasants, it was very illegal and the penalty was death.

The only even vaguely related law and custom that did exist in England was that a serf might have to pay their manor lord a fee for permission to marry someone from a different manor.

Wasn't this the plot of Braveheart pretty much?

And like the rest of that film, it's a lie serving the purpose of propaganda to promote irrational prejudice.

The liars who made that film didn't even bother getting the year right...and that didn't matter because the truth had nothing to do with that film. They even pretended that a 7 year old girl in France was a woman in England and got away with that too. The truth is just an inconvenience to be ignored when making propaganda.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, because that tradition never existed. Not in England, anyway. I'm not certain about everywhere in the world, but it definitely didn't happen in England. It wasn't tradition. It wasn't even legal. While I've no doubt some lords got away with raping peasants, it was very illegal and the penalty was death.

That isn't too clear I don't think it can definitely be claimed one way or another, there is some evidence to support it though I've not made any claims of legality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droit_du_seigneur

English lexicographer Thomas Blount recorded the "right" as a medieval custom of some English manors in Fragmenta Antiquitatis in 1679.

[...]
After their travels in Scotland in 1773, Samuel Johnson and James Boswell documented the custom of the payment of merchet, linking it with the "right of first night". They paralleled it with that custom of Borough English, suggesting that the English custom favored the youngest son because the paternity of the eldest son was doubtful.

Regardless the point was that disregarding one tradition doesn't mean you need disregard all. Shagging the bride on the first night is perhaps an extreme example, but you can substitute in making a monetary payment if you like.

Man of Honour
That isn't too clear I don't think it can definitely be claimed one way or another, there is some evidence to support it though I've not made any claims of legality:
[..]

On the one hand:

An unsubstantiated claim that it had existed in the past and an unsubstantiated claim that the rare custom of the youngest son being the default heir is evidence of its existence.

On the other hand:

Not a single mention of it. It's not in any surviving accounts of law. There are no contempory mentions of it at all, only a handful of much later claims that it used to happen.

I think it can definitely be stated to have not been law or custom because there's no evidence that it was and if it had been there would have been at least some mention of it somewhere in the miles of medieval writing.

There's much better evidence for the story of Lady Godiva and that can be absolutely proven to not be true by the simple fact that her husband had absolutely no authority to levy taxes in Coventry or the surrounding land because he wasn't the local ruling noble there (his lands were elsewhere).

Caporegime
Again I'm not making any claims re: law. There are some accounts from different sources mentioning it as a custom so it is a bit dubious to state it definitely didn't happen.

Soldato
I didn't because they were estranged and she made him out to be a complete monster. It was only after we split that I learned he was a decent bloke and she was embellishing things. Now I'm on the receiving end of her craziness. Never again.

Back
Top Bottom