YouFibre

The no contract 1Gbps package is £40 so still pretty good value. That matches Vodafone's Openreach 1Gbps in contract price but then it means you have Vodafone so... lol. Plus it's still 800Mbps down on the upload compared to YouFibre.

I'm pretty sure they will let you recontract after 2 years to whatever is competitive at the time. In 2 years you should have more choice anyway. Rumors are that YouFibre might be merging with BRSK so prices can only stay good as footprint increases. Jeremy (the CEO) seems to have his head screwed on when it comes to sustainability and profitability.

Not to throw mud at anyone but I look at some of the deals being offered by other altnets like Hyperoptic. They are doing 2 years 1Gbps with 12 months free then £30 for 12 months plus possible £75 cashback. That works out around £12 a month for 1 Gbps... simply can't be sustainable.
Yeah it is. I really like the fact it's a symmetric line as well. I do upload quite often (mainly backups).

Well at the rate things are going there will be fierce competition & speeds will only increase so the speeds we perceive as high will be average in the future and so the price should come down.

Interesting! I did watch some of that interview with him and the CEO of Zen.

My latency has gone to pot this morning, anyone else seeing something similar?

20396483b6ae474f90f25c12f425ff23ffebf5e0.png

Have a look on Bidb.uk - whack your postcode in and it’ll show you who’s about
That's the thing I've been looking at that site every day like a hawk and nothing has been in the area for months. It's like they didn't get permission but hey... shouldn't be surprised.

That's the thing I've been looking at that site every day like a hawk and nothing has been in the area for months. It's like they didn't get permission but hey... shouldn't be surprised.
To be fair there has been 1 or 2 dots near me and the vans have been everywhere so I think BIDB only covers works notified to planning.

BIDB only shows permitted street works, pulling fibre into BT ducts and installing closures in their chambers doesn't need permits, so it won't show up there.

My latency has gone to pot this morning, anyone else seeing something similar?

20396483b6ae474f90f25c12f425ff23ffebf5e0.png
When I spoke to them via the chat on the website, I was having low speeds/latency they "moved my connection" not really sure what this means but my internet latency reduced a lot and it fixed my speed problems as well.

Merger with BRSK: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ree-large-uk-full-fibre-broadband-merger.html

The merger is set to be finalised in the coming weeks, pending regulatory approval (this will not be an obstacle), enabling customers to benefit from an “alternative FTTP platform that offers a seamless network experience, unified pricing, and enhanced service quality across the shared footprint.

The unified pricing is interesting. Hopefully it doesn't mean an increase in pricing for YouFibre. BRSK is slightly more expensive.

Only notifiable or road-impacting work to the council will appear.

If just doing PIA work I’m fairly sure the council don’t need to be made aware, so no work permit is needed.

Saw fibre-uk vans outside the house on opposite side of the street. They even had the little Neotmnia thing saying full fibre was coming. They were there for about 2 hours. Do we think eta is a couple weeks now?

Last edited:
Just seen on Linkedin that BRSK, Netomnia and Youfibre are all merging together. I'm surprised it hasn't happened more tbh. If anything there are too many altnet providers making the financial very difficult to make work at small scale.

Got my YouFibre installed yesterday. Engineers turned up on time. I'm getting 5 ms, 2GB download but only 600MB upload. Their engineers are trying to figure out what's wrong. Hopefully they can sort it. Router they gave was quite high end too

Last edited:
Just seen on Linkedin that BRSK, Netomnia and Youfibre are all merging together. I'm surprised it hasn't happened more tbh. If anything there are too many altnet providers making the financial very difficult to make work at small scale.
Looks like both networks have almost the same backend built so merging to reduce cost and increase areas they cover seems to be a good way to expand.

Reading the news article explains there network cover doesn't overlap so it just expands the network.

Sorry to say you likely won't get it. YouFibre are heavily PIA so anything that requires work will likely not be included if not already serviced by Openreach.

If you really wanted it your best bet is to go up the food chain from low level support. Go on linkedin and get the details of YouFibre staff that oversee your area and explain that you really want service and can be an asset in getting others to sign up, they can likely accomodate if it means guaranteed customers. Most likely you want to track down contact details for Ian Mills (Head of Sales) who can direct you to the person to talk to e.g. for Scotland you would talk to Joe Scott.
To be fair to Youfibre, since January they've been working their way around the streets where I live - streets that Openreach looked at 3 years ago and said "nah, get stuffed". There's certainly been some problems, chief amongst which have been extremely old, very dodgy ducts, but Netomnia brought their own civils people in and have been systematically working their way around fixing ducts and pulling through fibre to the assorted poles around the area. I was quite surprised to see them do this, and I'm guessing that under PIA, Openreach get sent a bill for them fixing their infrastructure, but I'm glad they've done it. And as of today, the whole area is still "not in plan" for Openreach FTTP...

Anyway, 5 months have passed, my (dry) install was completed last week and I'm just waiting now for them to turn the exchange on, possibly as soon as this afternoon! Their comms throughout this have been a little patchy (to give them credit, I get the feeling that it's quite unusual for them to do installs on a non-functional exchange, so it's rather taken the support team by surprise!) but it's never a problem to get information out of them and, unlike Vodafone, not once have they ever asked me to "reboot my wifi" before engaging with any further conversation. Feedback from others is very good, so I'm expecting a good service from them. It should certainly be a massive upgrade from my 35/5 connection that I have today, supplied by the single worst service company in the country.

To add to what others said, I also received the black "Arris" router - not the prettiest thing, but the UI seems snappy and I dare say it will do the job well. It has a 2.5G WAN port, but only 1G LAN ports, so I assume they don't offer this for services > 1G. FWIW, I won't be using this anyway preferring my own OPNSense router which is already well knitted into the home infrastructure, but this is something that Youfibre are happy for people to do and they don't put any obstacles in the way.

Last edited:
To be fair to Youfibre, since January they've been working their way around the streets where I live - streets that Openreach looked at 3 years ago and said "nah, get stuffed". There's certainly been some problems, chief amongst which have been extremely old, very dodgy ducts, but Netomnia brought their own civils people in and have been systematically working their way around fixing ducts and pulling through fibre to the assorted poles around the area. I was quite surprised to see them do this, and I'm guessing that under PIA, Openreach get sent a bill for them fixing their infrastructure, but I'm glad they've done it. And as of today, the whole area is still "not in plan" for Openreach FTTP...

Anyway, 5 months have passed, my (dry) install was completed last week and I'm just waiting now for them to turn the exchange on, possibly as soon as this afternoon! Their comms throughout this have been a little patchy (to give them credit, I get the feeling that it's quite unusual for them to do installs on a non-functional exchange, so it's rather taken the support team by surprise!) but it's never a problem to get information out of them and, unlike Vodafone, not once have they ever asked me to "reboot my wifi" before engaging with any further conversation. Feedback from others is very good, so I'm expecting a good service from them. It should certainly be a massive upgrade from my 35/5 connection that I have today, supplied by the single worst service company in the country.

To add to what others said, I also received the black "Arris" router - not the prettiest thing, but the UI seems snappy and I dare say it will do the job well. It has a 2.5G WAN port, but only 1G LAN ports, so I assume they don't offer this for services > 1G. FWIW, I won't be using this anyway preferring my own OPNSense router which is already well knitted into the home infrastructure, but this is something that Youfibre are happy for people to do and they don't put any obstacles in the way.
I'm on the 2GB package and got given a ASUS ZenWiFi Pro ET12 router. It's £400 MSRP so quite surprised too. Neat little router, the design is cool. Just trying to configure the WiFi 6E to work with my FireStick 4k Max, was hoping to see speeds over a gig but only getting 500mbps haha

Also really happy to say the ping is 5ms which is what I was getting with Zen/OpenReach.

Also really happy to say the ping is 5ms which is what I was getting with Zen/OpenReach.
A good chunk of this will be where you are in the country (i.e. how far from London!) and where you are pinging. Up here in the grim north, it's rare to see pings to anything useful with this latency up here.

e.g. I get 7ms to Vodafone's Speedtest server in Manchester (my current ISP), 12ms to the Vodafone London server and 13ms to Google DNS, and BBC's CDN (the latter in one of the telehouse DCs).

Will be intrigued to see how this changes with YouFibre when they finally get around to switching me on...

Last edited:
Well that's pretty bad. After the works outside I thought I would check bidb, netomnia and youfibre pages more frequently. Yesterday bidb said it was planned and today it has moved to unplanned. This seems to be for most postcodes but some still say planned.

YouFibre is now saying "We hear you want it we will notify you if we ever build in your area". Netomnia page still says they are working in the area... the heartache.

YouFibre is now saying "We hear you want it we will notify you if we ever build in your area". Netomnia page still says they are working in the area... the heartache.
I wouldn't read too much into it. I am pretty sure that my house said the same until the day I could order it.

I tended to speak to the people working in the road to find out what was going on and it's worth noting that you can message Youfibre direct and they can get you a bit more information about whether your specific property is in-scope on the current build. I found them to be pretty helpful (by comparison with Openreach, anyway!). I would say that timescales are a much more fluid thing with stuff occasionally getting bumped weeks or months for various reasons. Patience is both essential and sorely lacking at my end! (still waiting to be switched on and watching a perpetual, failing ping running on ----> monitor :( )

Back
Top Bottom