Your bad driving encounters

Yeah I could literally write pages.

On my way to work a few days ago was in a queue of traffic at temporary lights, I was 4th in the queue and an ambulance about 10 cars behind me lit up just as the lights changed - 2 of the cars in front of me went before they'd have really noticed it but the 3rd one really should have held back - as I stopped to let it through the person behind me went to go around me, then realised only after they'd started to manoeuvre and I noticed 3-4 cars in the queue did similar but actually half-way or more into the other side of the road before they realised why the person in front of them hadn't moved... then had to try and reverse out the way holding the ambulance up momentarily...

On the other hand a couple of weeks back while queued in heavy traffic at the end of the dual-carriageway that goes into the town I work in when an unmarked police car stuck their lights and siren on the whole queue made a lane down the middle as one perfectly in sync - I couldn't believe it.

It's quite scary how unaware people are. I was having a drive a few weeks ago and saw there was a police car coming about five cars back from me, started to slow a little and pull to the side of the road. Car behind me didn't realise what was happening even with the police car behind them with full lights and sirens for a good 30 seconds.

Two or three years ago now. Later November/early December, on a pretty cold, wet evening driving home through the Forest of Dean.

I'm safely following another car which is sticking to 40MPH or thereabouts. Normally I'd be annoyed, but taking into account the time of day, conditions and likelihood of wild animals appearing in the road (deer, boar, etc.) I'm happy to follow suit. Vectra B with the typical Irmscher kit comes flying up behind, welds himself to the back of my car weaving in and out looking for an overtake between blind corners, but I let him carry on with it as the next junction is only about half a mile away. Get to the junction, the car infront turns right and me and the Vectra turn left. I know he's going to go for the overtake because Vectra 100x better than E46 every day of the week, must prove a point, so I let him carry on other than accelerating a little less than I usually would from that junction. He continues to accelerate after overtaking me and approaches a not-insigificant corner which has a stream of water running across it at about the midway point and next thing I know the back end of his Vectra washes out and he disappears in a slide around the corner. As I round the corner I just about catch him flying from the wrong side of the road across to the correct side of the road and then off the road completely by 20-30 yards. He's now stuck in fairly hefty, sodden grass and mud frantically trying to move his car - not happening.

I'd like to say I left him to it and carried on home without stopping, but I pulled over to check on him and he came jogging up to me asking for a lift which rang alarm bells straight away because you know... the car you've just binned. As he managed to jog up to me and had no obvious injuries I made an excuse that I needed to take someone to hospital (definitely not him) and couldn't play taxi for him. All the while keeping an eye on him because I'd left my car running and we're no more than ten yards from it at this point and after his lack of interest in his own car I was growing increasingly suspicious of him.

Passed the car a few times that week as he seemingly wasn't too bothered about getting it recovered. I think it took about ten days for it to be moved and it may not even have been him who arranged for it to be moved...

See lots of other pieces of rubbish driving each week, but that one will stick with me.

Yeah I could literally write pages.

On my way to work a few days ago was in a queue of traffic at temporary lights, I was 4th in the queue and an ambulance about 10 cars behind me lit up just as the lights changed - 2 of the cars in front of me went before they'd have really noticed it but the 3rd one really should have held back - as I stopped to let it through the person behind me went to go around me, then realised only after they'd started to manoeuvre and I noticed 3-4 cars in the queue did similar but actually half-way or more into the other side of the road before they realised why the person in front of them hadn't moved... then had to try and reverse out the way holding the ambulance up momentarily...

On the other hand a couple of weeks back while queued in heavy traffic at the end of the dual-carriageway that goes into the town I work in when an unmarked police car stuck their lights and siren on the whole queue made a lane down the middle as one perfectly in sync - I couldn't believe it.

Most of mine come from either taxis or german related makes suffering from 'beat the bus' syndrome.

The panic that people go through when they see emergency services is infuriating, an ambulance can be 1/2 mile back and people will just stop and panic and essentially create more of a road block, when its easier to keep moving and pull over further along in a more suitable location

If I'm at work and I hear sirens or see lights at a distance I have to start planning and maybe even looking to move immediately however that's because my vehicle is 40ft long and 10ton+.

passing through Edinburgh, a number of years back, very late at night, a fiat 500 all over the road, and as it passed my I seen it swerve into a crossing island and total!

I turned back and got out, there were 2-3 other people who turned up too, the girl, was a student and totally, totally drunk, i mean, REALLY drunk.

I didnt see the outcome for the police, but im assuming with her, then the car, must have got jail time?

Very rare to get jail time for driving under the influence, only way a jail sentence is entertained is if you ended up killing someone. Jail sentences have been dished out for dangerous driving - normally where you see someone involved in a high speed chase that's potentially resulted in damage property, or injury to people in the path of the driver. But someone under the influence is unlikely to be able to control a vehicle to that extent.

She'd have more than likely got a fine and points along with a driving ban.

Last edited:
Lorry through 2 red lights, car on a 50 stretch looking for a side road and instead of indicating randomly slamming on their brakes. Countless cars with snow on their roofs flying off toward me behind. A car doing about 10mph yesterday, likely due to the snow, but the road is completely clear. Countless cars just sat in the 2nd lane refusing to pull in despite not overtaking anyone. Driving standards here have never been lower. I get home angry every day.

Last edited:
Nothing outrageous lately but the first few seconds of a red light are apparently optional up here these days, and if you even think about stopping for an amber you're getting overtaken.

The panic that people go through when they see emergency services is infuriating, an ambulance can be 1/2 mile back and people will just stop and panic and essentially create more of a road block, when its easier to keep moving and pull over further along in a more suitable location

About 20 years ago I drove into the back of someone who panicked when an ambulance she clearly hadn't seen drove past with the sirens and lights going. It was a dual carriagway with a 40 mph limit and I was in the same lane about two seconds behind her car doing about 30ish, with the ambulance going past on the outside lane. When she saw the ambulance she did an emergency stop and despite me braking hard I still hit her car. She was livid and and got out shouting (ironically) "did you not see that ambulance?". Having heard all the stories of rear ending someone always = your fault, I assumed I was going to be 100% liable.

It seems not, because the insurers deemed it was her who was liable. I can only assume her witness statement corroborated that we were both driving on the inside lane, with the ambulance overtaking on the outside lane and that she did an emergency stop with no actual hazzard present.

Last edited:
Couple of years back…

Some aggressively driven Audi TT with the 3.2V6 thought he had the minerals to intimidate my partner by flashing lights and following dangerously close after appearing out of no where… clearly just driving fast and overtaking every car in his way in 30MPH zones as he was constantly weaving for the overtake.

She wrongly, or in this case rightly (Since nobody got hurt) as he began to overtake she floored her mighty 1.0 3 Cylinder which then made his overtake that bit more difficult, after overtaking he then took the bend too fast and understeered onto the dual carriageways reservation ending up losing his front bumper and front wheel plus some suspension components in the process.

Some would say Karma was served that evening.

He received a couple of light beeps to inform him of our amusement!

Last edited:
I'm a driver and a cyclist.
As a driver I can write a novel, as a cyclist I could write War & Peace a 1000 times over.
I've been out this morning driving and witnessed at least 20 cars going through red lights, also a couple of overtakes where I slowed right down just in case.

Last edited:
Not quite a bad encounter but I did see someone trying to de-ice a windscreen by pressing their hand against it, presumably trying to use body heat. That's all they did, no scraping, no sprays, no cold water, just bare flesh.
Lol I do that all the time. So long as it isn't too thick body heat is an effective deicer. Just wipe your hand over it or enough to see out of at anyrate. Yes your hand will get cold!

Last edited:
Lol I do that all the time. So long as it isn't too thick body heat is an effective deicer. Just wipe your hand over it or enough to see out of at anyrate. Yes your hand will get cold!

Rather you than me when it's coated on thicc and it's -5. I've found the scraper hard going at times recently, no way would I sit there with my hand on that.

Last edited:
Rather you than me when it's coated on thicc and it's -5. I've found the scraper hard going at times recently, no way would I sit there with my hand on that.
I've been deicing mine and the wife's cars this week and even with deicer and a scraper my hand is painfully cold by the time I'm done. Sod holding onto the windscreen :cry:

20 cars in one journey?!

I very rarely see people blatently going through red lights. Probably 20 times in 5 years.

yes and I didn't count the cars coming the other way because I couldn't be 100% they were on red because I couldn't see it.
So for example 4 cars in front of me zipped through on red but I saw 2 coming the other way but were they on red?

Back
Top Bottom