Your current Fish tank Setups!

Man of Honour
@CaptainRAVE That looks really nice mate, I'd love to own a marine tank but with my health issues I just can't manage it.

I’m not sure I’d have the time or spare cash. I’m just fortunate to have found someone who can setup/clean it and to also be able to put it on expenses. It is great though. Could watch it for hours. There’s always something new that appears or something that has changed, it’s such a rich ecosystem for such a relatively small space.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey up,

Where are people buying the bigger tanks from? I've been out of the hobby for a bit over 10 years now and when i move house i'll have a space in the office to put a fish tank. Thinking of something around 100G so i can get some Bichirs and then either a big cichlid or a small group or smaller ones.
Last time i had two tanks a 4x2x2 and a 6x2.5x2.5, used to have various birchirs in with an Oscar but given how big mine was when i shut the tanks down i would fancy one in a 100g. Bichirs are great, biggest was about 18inch.
Think i used ND Aquatics last time around as the branded ones seem to top out smaller.

Man of Honour
Hey up,

Where are people buying the bigger tanks from? I've been out of the hobby for a bit over 10 years now and when i move house i'll have a space in the office to put a fish tank. Thinking of something around 100G so i can get some Bichirs and then either a big cichlid or a small group or smaller ones.
Last time i had two tanks a 4x2x2 and a 6x2.5x2.5, used to have various birchirs in with an Oscar but given how big mine was when i shut the tanks down i would fancy one in a 100g. Bichirs are great, biggest was about 18inch.
Think i used ND Aquatics last time around as the branded ones seem to top out smaller.

We’re getting our second tank custom made here - https://premiumaquatics.co.uk/

Our smaller tank was just a standard Jewel tank.

Soldato
Tank and stand since our next tank doesn’t have a surface to go on. Plus we’ll need a big filtration system that can go underneath.
I was thinking of maybe just building a stand, pricing up wood would be a bit over 100 of wood for a stand to support 6ft tank. I made a tank and stand years ago along with a sump, it was the sump that drove me nuts so think i prefer the simplicity of a external filter.
What size tank you going for?

Man of Honour
I was thinking of maybe just building a stand, pricing up wood would be a bit over 100 of wood for a stand to support 6ft tank. I made a tank and stand years ago along with a sump, it was the sump that drove me nuts so think i prefer the simplicity of a external filter.
What size tank you going for?

60″x24″x24″

Wanted a 6ft, but wouldn’t leave enough space to get around the sides/back for maintenance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Still waiting for our big custom tank to be built. It’s taking a while, but the eta puts it at this month hopefully.

Also got offered a free Jewel Trigon 190 recently, so we’re planning a freshwater open top aquarium with lots of plants, fish, shrimp and possibly frogs. Still brainstorming this one. Basically stuff that we can put in with the terrapins in the bigger tank.

Soldato
Where is the best place to advertise a tank for sale?
I've got a 400l tank and stand which I'm reluctantly shutting down asap

I've not used it to sell or buy for 5+ years now, but in past i've sold/bought tanks/fish at https://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/

Edit: Just remembered that Association Of Aquarists are holding one of their regular auctions at Kempshott Village Hall in Basingstoke (RG22 5HN) on Sunday 5th May. Again, not been for 5 years, still have fish but I'm trying to reduce things down and resist temptation!

Last edited:
Soldato
Facebook marketplace is basically the default. You can’t sell any fish on there though.
Not having much luck on there sadly :(

I've not used it to sell or buy for 5+ years now, but in past i've sold/bought tanks/fish at https://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/

Edit: Just remembered that Association Of Aquarists are holding one of their regular auctions at Kempshott Village Hall in Basingstoke (RG22 5HN) on Sunday 5th May. Again, not been for 5 years, still have fish but I'm trying to reduce things down and resist temptation!
I'll give it a look thanks :)

Soldato
Not having much luck on there sadly :(

Understandably, people don’t really want to buy used fish tanks unless they are dirt cheap, that’s before considering the cost of energy these days.

I expect sales have dropped off a cliff since the energy price spike as they can cost a fortune to run (heat). People who buy used tanks tend to be those with smaller budgets.

Soldato
Tbf I had envisaged getting a massive tank once I'd moved and got settled in but the estimated running costs are eye watering. When I do come to get one again, they really help with my mood, I'm going to have to be much more conservative

Man of Honour
Tbf I had envisaged getting a massive tank once I'd moved and got settled in but the estimated running costs are eye watering. When I do come to get one again, they really help with my mood, I'm going to have to be much more conservative

Fresh or salt? The costs have definitely added up over the year with the salt aquarium, although a lot of that has been stock. Still wish I had gone slightly bigger, although it would have been tricky in the available space. It’s doing really well though, very stable and the algae breakout has chilled out a lot.

Hoping to get our next tank (smaller freshwater) moved into position next week.

Then need to chase our final bigger tank, we’re easily passed the estimated build time at this point.

Soldato
Running tanks doesn't have to be expensive.

These days I'm running four (2/4/4/6-footers), until around the pandemic starting I was running six, including a 5-footer in the garage. I should really move my African Butterfly Fish in with my old Leopard Bushfish, to decommission the 2-footer!

Over the past 14 years, I've only run heaters during the most bitter winters, with the exception of when some of my African riverine fish were in the garage tank.

Most of my fish over that time have been "tropical," but I have had some temperate species. My indoor tanks have very rarely dropped under 18C and have hit 31C in summer heatwaves.

The one big tank I bought new has proper lights (2* 110W?) on ~6 hours per day for the benefit of the Anubias plants (using 14 year old original tubes), another 4-footer has the lid/light from my 2-footer (15W?) for ~5 hours per day as it's often in the shade.

Most of my active filters these days are Fluval U4s and an (Eheim?) hang-on-back for the 2-footer, these are all very low Wattage filters, maybe ~15W each.

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, I'm torn about which way to go... I've always been entranced by marine tanks, so that's the dream but, I love Oscars. I also love koi and gold fish so would love to grow some out indoors before moving to a pond if I'm able to do what I want. I've got to remind myself I'm disabled and need something manageable by my disability etc

Associate
Fish only or soft coral marine tanks aren't too bad. The only real requirement is to keep the tank at ~23c though I'd recommend higher to help with summer fluctuations. It gets expensive when you start adding hard corals because you need proper lights, way more consumables, dosing pump, reactors etc.

Back
Top Bottom