Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Sorry to hear that, I don’t let anyone look after my fish for this reason.

But I also like to go on holiday so I’m limited to stocking what can cope with being fed via and auto feeder (which is most tropicals in fairness), I’d definitely recommend one.

Sometimes if good to start over when this kind of thing happens, mix up the tank decor etc.

You can get away with doing a few big water changes over the course of a few days and restocking slowly but it depends on how bad the tank was when you got back to it.
I think it was on the cards for a while, we kept loosing fish for no reason, seemingly out of no where (water quality was excellent other than being a little hard). thb I wanted top re-stock, thinking about going shrimp and snail only.

Soldato
I tended to lose at least one fish every time someone popped in to feed while we were away. After several years, I simply gave a generous last feed before we left and they then had a few famine days.

Bit more tricky when you're away for more than a week.

I did a stupid one last October, turned filter off as usual to feed my semi-blind 14 years old Leopard Bush fish just before we left, forgot to turn it back on and came back to a dead 10+ year old Rubbernose Plec, four days later.

Soldato
I emptied a bag of sand into the tank, it's come up to 4cm, think that'll do the job.

Anyone know much about plants?
Got a list of plants from the Tropica website that they've marked as easy, but I could use some advice.

Soldato
My 190L corner tank is ticking over nicely:

5 Golden Wonder Panchax
15 Tiger barbs
5 bronze cory
1 panda cory
1 male bristlenosed plec

The panchax are the latest additions and though they grow to about 9cm, these are young and less than half that. I was concerned about how the tiger barbs would treat them.

As it turns out, the Panchax are quite capable of looking after themselves. They don't get bullied and are happy to mix it up with the barbs at feeding time.

I'm really happy of the spread of fish in this tank.

The Panchax lurk at the surface, often in formation.

The tiger barbs occupy the middle section.

The corys live at ground level.

The reclusive plec lives in his cave!

Man of Honour
Our 3 pink side neck turtles arrive tomorrow morning :D

Our water lettuce is growing and dividing like crazy, as are the rest of our plants. At this point, unexpectedly, I think I’m preferring the planted tank to the reef tank.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having 2nd thoughts about this tank.

Starting to wonder how much more work it'll be to make a soft coral tank.
Been nearly 20 years since I've kept marine, so doing some reading.

I'm really tempted, only thing that puts me off is that I'll need to upgrade the lights, which means no hood, which means tons of light bleed in the bedroom.

giphy.gif

Man of Honour
They arrived at 6:45am this morning! They are adorable, far smaller than I was expecting, we had to make some tank and feeder modifications.

First steps:

Finding our feet:

Finding land again (frustratingly the water fall is leaving a lot of limescale on the glass here):

A few more modifications needed to the deeper end tomorrow in case they struggle down there.

Our coral banded shrimp munching on a bristle worm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom