Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
To me, the focal piece (bogwood) is too central, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder! They used to say place focal point around 2/3rds to one side.

I'd try the bogwood rear-right on the diagonal, tall single rock in middle on diagonal, flowing into the three smaller rock pieces front-left.

Thanks for the input, I'll have a play around on the weekend.

Soldato
I know my water is very hard, when I had my shrimp tank, I bought RO water and used a shrimp product to remineralize it.
I'm not sure whether to use a similar product for the new tank, or cut it 50/50 with tap water.

Going off my own experience i'd say dont fight your local water parameters to much, find fish that suit them otherwise your just fighting a loosing battle every water change and the stress it puts on the occupants.

Man of Honour
Going off my own experience i'd say dont fight your local water parameters to much, find fish that suit them otherwise your just fighting a loosing battle every water change and the stress it puts on the occupants.

We take the chlorine out, but other than that just put things in that can deal with our water, at least in the freshwater tank.

Soldato
I use an HMA filter to remove chlorine etc and don't add anything except plant food. Don't try to change the water chemistry, it won't stick anyway and it will prevent it finding a natural balance.

Infact I don't even do water changes much now, maybe once a month. Not had any illnesses or deaths for a long time and plants grow like crazy.

Last edited:
Soldato
The water around my way is about as hard as it gets in the U.K., basically almost everything that is captive bread is fine.

It’s only wild caught or really finicky fish that are a problem and you can’t get anything like that at your typical fish store.

Man of Honour
I use an HMA filter to remove chlorine etc and don't add anything except plant food. Don't try to change the water chemistry, it won't stick anyway and it will prevent it finding a natural balance.

Infact I don't even do water changes much now, maybe once a month. Not had any illnesses or deaths for a long time and plants grow like crazy.

Same here. The plants and biofilter sorts the water for the most part. I only add plant food. The plants are growing at a staggering rate, fish and shrimp all doing well.

Sadly losing the torch coral in my saltwater tank, I think the corals are attacking each other. First coral loss in a year though, but all the others are thriving :(

Soldato
Still slowly buying stuff for the tank and looking at plants, but I'm wondering how to tackle my water.

I know my water is very hard, when I had my shrimp tank, I bought RO water and used a shrimp product to remineralize it.
I'm not sure whether to use a similar product for the new tank, or cut it 50/50 with tap water.

I tested my water the other night an API kit and both the GH and KH were off the scale.
They only go up to 12 drops, which means 12ºdKH, or 214 ppm. Where as my water took 18 drops to change the GH test colour, I think the KH test, took 16/17.

I know that plants like hard water, but I'm concerned about my future betta.

By the way, how does this look? Does it look too busy?

f5MYlPU.jpg
I was once told by a local fish store that people worry too much about their water hardness etc. Your rarely buying a fish that doesnt come from a seller local to you so therefore it makes sense that they are breeding their fish using similar water parameters to yours. I tend to ask the seller what type of water they have been kept in, one thing is your harder water would be great if you ever decide to go down the African Cichlid route. I have to buffer my water loads to get to the right parameters, yours is coming from the tap :D

Soldato
I would love an African Cichlid tank, but at the moment I don't have enough room for a decent size tank. Don't think i'm gonna fit many in a 10g. :p
you could get some shell dwellers at some stage which stay small, really great behaviour in them as their tank is basically just sand and a load of snail shells they will totally scape the tank themselves and stay small. Neolamrplogus Multifasciatus or Multis. If i ever replace one of my 20g tanks thats what ill go for some shellies or Tanganyikan cichlids

Soldato
Same here. The plants and biofilter sorts the water for the most part. I only add plant food. The plants are growing at a staggering rate, fish and shrimp all doing well.

Sadly losing the torch coral in my saltwater tank, I think the corals are attacking each other. First coral loss in a year though, but all the others are thriving :(

For filter in my tropical tank I just DIYed big hollow block of sponge with a pump at the top . Seems to work just as well as anything else I've tried. Filter media is massively oversold :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading different things on substrate depth.
Some people say 2-3" minimum, while other people are saying 10cm!
That's a 1/3 of my tank height.

Soldato
It entirely depends on what you are using and what you are trying to achieve.

Doing something like 10cm of sand is a recipe for disaster, it compacts down and creates anaerobic pockets where toxic gas builds up which can nuke your tank if released.

Using something like Tropica Soil in a placed tank which is 3cm at the front and slopes back to 10cm at the back is fine, its nice and loose and water slowly circulates through it. You'd need a pretty deep tank to achieve that sort of slope though but the bigger the slope, the bigger the perception of depth.

In a small tank you probably want as little as you can get away with, 1-2" is plenty.

I've got this tank below and one 12L bag of Tropica soil is just about enough, I didn't bother opening the second bag I bought.

Back
Top Bottom