Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Some photos.

Not all marks are showing. Bars from gaming are starting to appear. Top and bottom.

I also repeat. I treated this TV with kid gloves. Didn’t game in HDR modes. Purposely turned the brightness down etc. let pixel refresh run when it wanted to.

Netflix is not really showing on photos but I can spot it clear as day sitting on my sofa.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some photos.

Not all marks are showing. Bars from gaming are starting to appear. Top and bottom.

I also repeat. I treated this TV with kid gloves. Didn’t game in HDR modes. Purposely turned the brightness down etc. let pixel refresh run when it wanted to.

Netflix is not really showing on photos but I can spot it clear as day sitting on my sofa.
What's the shadow from in the first pic? You mentioned netflix and youtube logos, but that looks quite off centre in height.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the shadow from in the first pic? You mentioned netflix and youtube logos, but that looks quite off centre in height.
Uneven wear in the centre.

Now it’s not that bad with the naked eye lol.

It’s not as dark and the shape is not as bold as that picture makes it out.

Last edited:
Associate
My last 3 tvs were oled and I’ve had zero issues with burn in. And I use them as pc monitors for gaming.

I had an E9 for 3 years (recently sold on this forum) and uniformity was perfect.

I always had plasmas before that and it was same thing, negative people posting about burn in and saying they were no good for gaming.

I’m not saying there aren’t issues but I think they’re overblown. And I think severe cases of persistent image retention is more likely, that can be solved with pixel refresher, than actual burn in that is irreversible.

I’d rather have no tv at all than consider an lcd and deal with backlight bleed, grey blacks, blooming etc.

The biggest issue for me with oled was grey and above black uniformity but that’s improved massively. It’s the best tv technology for me, even with the risk of burn in.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's funny how people mention burn in but overlook back-light failure on less which happened to mine at 4 years old(fortunately from richer sounds) so got it fixed.

Man of Honour
It's funny how people mention burn in but overlook back-light failure on less which happened to mine at 4 years old(fortunately from richer sounds) so got it fixed.

Is back light failure relevant in the OLED burn in thread?
Maybe, just maybe, his context is about TVs in general, and not necessarily just this thread. And threads on forums which must follow the narrative of the OP would be excessively boring.

Soldato
Some photos.

Why is the burn in the shape of a penis?

Soldato

One of the backlights on my Samsung ks8000 has failed, now the center of the screen looks dimmer than the rest of the screen

Soldato
My last 3 tvs were oled and I’ve had zero issues with burn in. And I use them as pc monitors for gaming.

I had an E9 for 3 years (recently sold on this forum) and uniformity was perfect.

I always had plasmas before that and it was same thing, negative people posting about burn in and saying they were no good for gaming.

I’m not saying there aren’t issues but I think they’re overblown. And I think severe cases of persistent image retention is more likely, that can be solved with pixel refresher, than actual burn in that is irreversible.

I’d rather have no tv at all than consider an lcd and deal with backlight bleed, grey blacks, blooming etc.

The biggest issue for me with oled was grey and above black uniformity but that’s improved massively. It’s the best tv technology for me, even with the risk of burn in.
That's like owning a brand new car for three years and telling everybody they're built to last. if those panels were 5 years+ and issue free, and that's not an unreasonable expectation, then that would be different.

Associate
That's like owning a brand new car for three years and telling everybody they're built to last. if those panels were 5 years+ and issue free, and that's not an unreasonable expectation, then that would be different.
I see your point. But there’s a misconception by some that oled technology is not suitable for anything like game usage with static huds etc.

In my experience with a tv owned for 3 years for predominantly pc usage, I had zero issues.

Again I’m not saying that because I’ve had no issues it means issues don’t exist, but I feel they’re often overblown.

Modern oleds have made massive progress and they’ve become even more resistant to persistent image retention.

They’re certainly far better than plasma tv’s used to be.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still haven't replaced my burnt in C7 yet.

One thing that occurred to me; in the early days people said the burning on those gen TVs was accelerated by having the TV at high brightness, which I indeed was guilty of. These days everything I watch and play has HDR. Doesn't HDR normally crank up brightness to 100% and sort of help cause the problem in the 1st place? Or is HDR not necessarily 100% brightness on newer gen models that are much brighter than my 2017 model in the 1st place?

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom