Your experience with OLED burn-in

Caporegime
I quite like that feature on LG. It looks like it dims down to 20 - 30% when in a game menu for a minute or two. Then restores to your max settings when any activity is happening.

If it only happens on static screens you'll rarely see it, Sony's implementation seems to be much more aggressive:

It sounds like it might still be a problem as well going by the comments.

Associate
I was super worried last week when I noticed what looked like serious backlight shadowing on all pictures on my 55" B7. It don't play on consoles with it or watch news channels, very limited sport matches and it seemed to happen over night after having it almost 1 year to the day.

Fortunately, the Pixel Refresher function cleared it without issues. Phew

Soldato
... (re-asking question from xf9 thread) so none of the oleds will optionally just turn off the screen if you left your skyQ/ott box on pause ?

re:pixel refresh - bookmarked what sony said https://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/OLED-A1-series-top-5-tips

edit - this
3. Maintain the TV panel’s continuity
Panel Refresh runs automatically to ensure that the picture remains clear and stable even after long periods of use. A pop-up normally appears to let you know when to run this function. However, you can run it manually, if you feel that the picture isn’t up to your standard.

But please be careful! We recommend not performing this function more than once a year. Using it more frequently could affect the lifespan of the panel…

Last edited:
Soldato
I had plasma panels for years, know what retention looks like and have still yet to see any on my B7. I saw retention regularly with panny plasmas. Perhaps there's some panel lottery in this and later models seem less susceptible, but based on my experience vs old plasma screens, current oled burn in is a none issue. Now if you leave a static HDR image burning away all night, things might change.

Soldato
Its not a none issue, just because you have not personally experienced it (yet). Older the panels get the more likely it is, 3/4years lifespan for a £2k TV is crap.

Caporegime
From what I understand it's more likely on older OLED models because they don't have any/much protection against it (2016 models and previous). 2017 models onwards I've yet to see anyone provide evidence of burn-in outside of stress tests or silly usage (not image retention). The hours and type of usage shown on the Rtings test evidence how long it takes before burn-in occurs.

V F

V F

Soldato
If it only happens on static screens you'll rarely see it, Sony's implementation seems to be much more aggressive:

It sounds like it might still be a problem as well going by the comments.

That's correct. I have to pause a game for it to happen. Or on a map menu of a game for too long. (Usually kicks in on a static screen 1 - 2 minutes) Soon as the screen has a big change of scene, full brightness again until the same procedure happens again.

From what I understand it's more likely on older OLED models because they don't have any/much protection against it (2016 models and previous). 2017 models onwards I've yet to see anyone provide evidence of burn-in outside of stress tests or silly usage (not image retention). The hours and type of usage shown on the Rtings test evidence how long it takes before burn-in occurs.

This was the same fear mumbo jumbo people used to drill into me to never touch Plasma. What a big mistake that would have been if I never had of got one to experience.

Soldato

There is a burn in risk with any OLED, its inherent to the design.

Associate
Dug a bit deeper. I definitely dont have power on stats in settings. Seems to be a thing that a few of the older screens. Mine is an Oct 2016 screen. Wonder if this is normal for this model.
LG Team leader called me back today for my escalated level 2 enquiry!! As expected, LG still not interested, unless I want to pay to fix of course. He did think I have more than one issue with my screen. He thinks the panel needs changed and the motherboard might be faulty.
Seemingly these things happen to electrical items. Its just bad luck, he tells me. Its almost if they are trying to wind you up. "Really, you cant see any issue with a £2k TV developing an issue after 2 years. Its clearly not fit for purpose." . Basically told me to take it up with retailer. Fair point.
I will go back to currys and take up the issue with them. So reading several other threads about Currys warranty dept, normal procedure here is currys take tv away for inspection for a few months, tell you the issue its not covered by the warranty, lose the TV, find it, then send it back damaged. So looking forward to that sh'tshow. Happy days.

Soldato
Dug a bit deeper. I definitely dont have power on stats in settings. Seems to be a thing that a few of the older screens. Mine is an Oct 2016 screen. Wonder if this is normal for this model.
LG Team leader called me back today for my escalated level 2 enquiry!! As expected, LG still not interested, unless I want to pay to fix of course. He did think I have more than one issue with my screen. He thinks the panel needs changed and the motherboard might be faulty.
Seemingly these things happen to electrical items. Its just bad luck, he tells me. Its almost if they are trying to wind you up. "Really, you cant see any issue with a £2k TV developing an issue after 2 years. Its clearly not fit for purpose." . Basically told me to take it up with retailer. Fair point.
I will go back to currys and take up the issue with them. So reading several other threads about Currys warranty dept, normal procedure here is currys take tv away for inspection for a few months, tell you the issue its not covered by the warranty, lose the TV, find it, then send it back damaged. So looking forward to that sh'tshow. Happy days.
LG seem to use cheap parts in their main boards. They made excellent plasmas a few years ago but the capacitors always broke in under 5 years.

Soldato
- Interesting point.

... the demand for flatter panels backed-against the wall cannot help dissipate the heat from the panel and electroinics either, impacting capacitor lifespan,
per the earlier reference, even for burnin, it is predominately degradation in electronics, rather than the organic material that is responsible. ...
do anyt tv's (now) have active cooling ?

edit LOL - "Simply put, the law says that life of a capacitor doubles for every 10 degree Celsius decrease in temperature (within limits)."

V F

V F

Soldato
- Interesting point.

... the demand for flatter panels backed-against the wall cannot help dissipate the heat from the panel and electroinics either, impacting capacitor lifespan,
per the earlier reference, even for burnin, it is predominately degradation in electronics, rather than the organic material that is responsible. ...
do anyt tv's (now) have active cooling ?

edit LOL - "Simply put, the law says that life of a capacitor doubles for every 10 degree Celsius decrease in temperature (within limits)."

It was one of the reasons I added more fans to the Panasonic Plasma years ago. Since by default 2 small fans exhausting either top corner and added three 120mm fans at the bottom. As the panel got relatively hot in the past. Since the panel is quite cool after these years.

On AVSForum a lot members reported of hot spots and overall heat seemed to be tied to heavy image retention and eventually burn-in. As well as faint red discolouration to the panel when powered.

Associate
Quick update, Currys picking TV up tomorrow to investigate.
I have a new issue with it now. The TV would only display a blank screen this morning. I could bring up the Smart TV menu but could not get it to play netflix etc. Several switch off and on at the wall and it came back after a couple of hours.

Associate
Keen to know your experience with Currys, my 16 month old 65 inch C6 has just developed noticeable screen burn predominately amongst the red pixels, despite being really careful with settings and usage, running the pixel refresher almost every night. I also bought from Currys and demanded the 5 year warranty in writing which was sent to me after purchase. Hoping it's worth something other than the paper it's printed on.

I'm in 2 minds whether to begin the painful process of raising it with them. Good luck!

Ps. No power on stats for mine either. Mine was made in Jan 17.

Soldato
My B6 is two years old now and is daily abused by the family, kids leaving games paused etc. No sign of any burn or retention at all....

Last edited:
Associate
E6 and I have the sky news scrolling bar image retention / burn in and once seen you cannot not see it anymore.
Watched sky news for approx 30 mins at breakfast and same at tea time. No point any longer than that as it just repeats.
Most noticeable if you have a plain colour screen red or green looks worst.
Can still see it during programs although not as noticeable and to be honest its doing my head in that paid a lot for this TV.
No option to turn off these stupid scrolling ticker tapes.
No option as I see some have mentioned for it to dim them.
I started going full zoom to block out the bar and what happens they start stacking them one on top of the other and i still see them!
Swap to BBC news and they have a glaring red bar with a clock running bottom right.
I need a news channel that does not use this stupid stuff.
I also agree that the length of time I have owned this should not be looking like this.
I thought any risk of image retention would be years away not within 2.

Associate
Mine has some sort menu boxes burnt in at the bottom in the centre - I have no idea what from as the only menus I would load regularly would be netflix, prime or youtube to select content, and these boxes don't fit the bill. Then I have completely random staining directly in the centre which seems to be getting worse on a daily basis, a large proportion of the red pixels are obviously degrading all at once.

For others saying - I've never had burn in - I was in that group too a couple of weeks ago, then bam out of nowhere there it is! Be warned.

LG should be ashamed quite frankly, if many owners were made aware of the possibility of such rapid burn at the point of purchase - their buying choice would be different, mine would have been. A high end TV costing thousands should last at least 5 years, not be fit for the skip straight after the 1 year manufacturer warranty runs out. Could be a case for Watchdog to change LG's stance on fixing people's panels.

SmartUsername - please keep us posted with your experience with Currys! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom