Your first crash

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well, was going through old hard drives, checking for data and scrapping them as required, when I found these old old photos...

My first car, a little corsa which as I went around a corner at surprisingly low speed (20mph), there was a fuel spillage on the road which spun the car around into a wall where it bounced off and into a second wall.

It was a category A write off.

When the report came back, the car effectively warped and disintegrated from bumper to bumper, the insurance guy said when he read the report he couldn't understand how the three of us in there at the time were completely unharmed as he had seen head on 60mph reports with less damage.

Vowed that day I would never get in a corsa again, if that happened at 20mph, god help anyone at motorway speeds.

Pics... sorry, this is from a phone camera 8 years ago lol :D

16587306_10208299813560486_7476748941214096843_o.jpg

16665963_10208299814160501_1398920198263762943_o.jpg

Soldato
Blimey, well done on that!

So, here's mine. Nov '15, I had 4 years no claims and no incidents before that. I had only owned the car since Aug '15.

Family were on holiday, typically fridge was empty at home as I was mostly staying elsewhere, so I decided to go to McDonalds at 1am.. Never quite made it..

I was on a roundabout, exiting at 35-40mph tops, hit a change of road surface and a diesel spill (I also had P Zeros on hah :p ) Before I knew it or had a chance to react, I'd hit the barrier and was in the centre of the road.

I managed to do a 360'c which I actually don't remember, I only know I had because the entire right/offside of the car was undamaged and the barrier was on the right hand side of the road...

eb82ab348e.jpg

11b6e174f9.png

Absolutely gutted, 3 months ownership and a 15k car binned :p

After arguing with Admiral for a bit, they paid out just over 12 for it including me buying it back, and I sold it for 5.

Spot the ghetto wiring when I had no cable to put the second Hella on :p

That plus somebody then merging into my lane a month later in a different car is why I now pay £1600 insurance on a Civic Type R aged 23!

Soldato
Accident1_zpszzasjwxt.jpg

AccidentIdiot_zpsp8oxlbez.jpg

Under 3000miles , not even 3 months old I had to stop sharpish behind someone, guy in a 1979 Chevy truck towing a boat locks up and slams into me at about 35mph. $6800 worth of damage, replaced entire rear end.

Soldato
no pics, but not long after passing my test managed to rear end a pathfinder.

country road, sunny day + bunch of harley davidsons cruising down the other side of the road=not seeing the guy in front stopping to check his sheep.

only other incident was garage forecourt, waiting in queue to leave, music blaring lights on some soccer mom type in a meriva reverses into the side. gave false insurance details too and of course young idiot me didn't think to photograph her plate.

good thing was it was an old 323f that had already accumulated many bumps and scrapes through it's life, so one more dent didn't exactly show up so bad.

Soldato
First car, did a barrel roll. :cool:

P4010008.JPG

P4010010.JPG

P4010014.JPG

P4010021.JPG

P4010004.JPG

Ok so I lied a little, it was more a backflip, it ended up on it's roof. Too fast going round a corner and the back end came out, messed up correcting it, went up a hedgerow which caused it to flip over and land on it's roof on the other side of the road from the direction I'd be travelling...pointing in the correct direction for it's lane though.
My side crushed down, gf's side was fine...she wasn't so impressed mind. Typically, she had a camera in her bag at the time and we didn't get any photos of it on it's roof, still regret that.
When both the police and ambulance turned up their first question was "where's the driver?" as it looked really quite bad. I was fine, slight bump on the head but that was it which was lucky really as the ambulance's clutch went on the way to us. The roof was much more compressed than in the above photos, when they picked it up onto the recovery vehicle they just slung a rope through the front windows which pulled the roof back into shape, mostly.

E: Oh and when the policeman was questioning me in the back of the ambulance Him: "How fast were you going? Me: "Ummm..." Him: "Well the person behind said he was doing 60 and you weren't pulling away" Me: "Uhh yeah, 60...". I was doing 70+...

Funtimes.

Commissario
^^ Wow that could've been a lot worse for you.

Mine as after a few months driving; I was 17, on a wet field parking and hit the brakes too hard and skidded into the back of a parked Mini.

Soldato
Maccy;30485596 said:
^^ Wow that could've been a lot worse for you.

Mine as after a few months driving; I was 17, on a wet field parking and hit the brakes too hard and skidded into the back of a parked Mini.

Mine was just before 18th birthday (rather a long time ago now)...bought a super awesome and reliable (and slow) 306 non turbo diesel a week later. :D

Yeah it could have been really quite a lot worse, I did multiple over corrections and I recall that pretty much everything I did was wrong.
Left hand corner, back end stepped out right so we headed toward the left hedge, I span the wheel right, car flicked right and headed toward the right hedge, I span the wheel left but not in time...I think (but don't recall) I was on the brakes too which makes things much worse in a FWD car with the back stepping out.
Live and learn I guess. It taught me not to drive flat out from the off with a car and to build up knowledge of the car's handling etc.

Man of Honour
Not had one *touch wood* on the road - low sided my bike on a track day.

I was in a car which had a crash but I wasn't driving.

So I'm counting my blessings that after nearly 20 years of driving I'm still accident & claim free! :eek:

I've gone and done it now haven't I? :(

Soldato
Was driving into Ottawa in a Chrysler Town and Country (People carrier, almost brand new and my Aunts). Crossed a crossroads (green light for me), was t-boned at 50mph, and then I hit a lamppost head on. Walked away from it.

Lady who hit me did not attempt to brake. Later (in court), it transpired she was depressed and that was the underlying reason for the accident (thanks for that!).

Have a picture somewhere, made the front page of the local Rag.

Soldato
Was coming round a corner on a bridge and the ECU that controlled which direction the rear wheels pointed in decided that it wanted to kill me. Will never buy a car with four wheel steering (or fly by wire brakes) again lol.

Image025.jpg

Man of Honour
Trying to park in a space that wasn't wide enough (due to crap parking of people either side), drove in wonky and tried to straighten up - wasn't looking at front nearside wing as I was reversing back into the high street and it was busy.. caught my front wing panel on next car's rear arch, and put a massive dent in my (mum's) car. Next car was undamaged.

Drove off to find somewhere to pull in about 100m away then ran back to the car to meet the owner who just told me to go as there was no damage - didn't even want my details.

Parents were away on holiday so I thought I'd get it fixed before they were back. Thought I knew of a bodyshop in a village, so drove to it, but met a car coming the other way on a narrow bridge (wide enough for 1.5 cars). They didn't give way like they should, and forced me into the bridge, so that side of the car now also had a big scrape down the side of it. They drove off.

Wasn't a good day.

Sold as much of my stuff (took back unused things to a shop) as I could then offered my parents the money. They ended up claiming on the insurance.

Associate
First and only crash.

3 lane one way street. I merged from left to middle as someone else merged from right to middle, we hit each other in the middle lane. Next thing I know I get a letter from a solicitor saying I'm liable for his car and injuries, so passed it all onto my insurer seeing as that's what they're there for.

Other driver claimed I smashed into him and he hadn't moved. Also that he couldn't work so claimed for loss of earnings, as well as bone and muscle damage. He even claimed for the pregnant passenger in the car. There was no passenger in his car, the crash happened at 5mph, impossible to hurt yourself that badly.

Insurance ended up siding with him as I told the truth and he lied. I suspect his no win no fee solicitor told him what to try to claim for to maximise the payout.

Makes you feel sick.

Back
Top Bottom