Your opinion on dead pixels on a new monitor.

Associate
Having just received my fourth 1440p monitor without dead pixels...yes, I'm finally happy :).
I just wondered what other peoples opinion are whether you should just accept them or not. I didn't buy them from OCUK, the only reason being, they didn't sell it. I do know OCUK have a return policy for even 1 dead pixel on selected high end monitors, which is great piece of mind.
For me, when you are paying £700 + for a monitor, then even 1 dead pixel is totally unacceptable. I had 1 dead pixel on all 3 of my purchased monitors and even at 1440p, unless you are blind, they stand out no matter where they are on the screen. The vendor, as in most vendors (except good old OCUK) had no return policy for 1 dead pixel. So anyone who is bothered by this policy will not tell the truth, why would they? This makes manufacturers dead pixel policys void as far as I am concerned. I had three different excuses to return my monitors only because they would have refused an exchange. My money was perfect so why shouldn't my monitor be? At the huge price I paid, I decide if I accept dead pixels, not the manufacturer.
Fair enough if it happens 6 months down the line, but every pixel should be perfect when you open that box as far as I am concerned, or your money back.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yup,

I dont care what is considered acceptable by the manufacturer, to me even 1 dead or faulty pixel is reason enough to return it.

I'm not paying hundreds of pounds to buy defective merchandise.

Caporegime
Wouldn't accept dead pixels on a new monitor, unfortunately though when i had my screen replaced (twice) i ended up with a monitor with a couple, but they're not in a "zone" that benq considers to be replacement worthy. :mad:

With the price of monitors these days pixel perfect should be standard, not just by chance.

Soldato
People seem to go nuts over blb in corners etc even saying they'll take a TN panel over an IPS because of it which seems bonkers to me. Personally it doesn't bother me unless its blindingly obvious.

Dead pixels are unacceptable though. I've never actually had a screen with one but if I did it'd be going back pronto.

Soldato
If I noticed it in the middle of my screen it wouldn't be good enough although I've only ever had some with my TV, with it being 60" and sitting back from it I don't notice the 3 of them, I'd notice BLB more than anything TBH.

Caporegime
With the price of monitors these days pixel perfect should be standard, not just by chance.

We'd be paying a lot more if manufacturers had to bin every panel with a pixel imperfection.

I do agree though that QC needs to tighten up, some panels with pretty ghastly BLB make it out the factory in high end monitors.

Associate
dead pixels are one of the few things stopping me from upgrading my w2363d 120hz lg's - i want 27 1440p, but dont intend spending 600+ quid, and the possibility of dead pixels :(

Soldato
Dead pixels are not good at all, although my wife for some reason can't seem to see them. I keep looking at them....!

For me what is worse is a stuck sub pixel (IIRC) them means it is not yet dead but flashes on and off all the time, that drove me nuts on one monitor.

Buying a monitor is a bit of a panel lottery, over time it does seem to have got worse rather than better.

Pixels, BLB and IPS glow and then banding and viewing angles - no wonder why I tend to keep my monitor the longest of all my hardware components and peripherals. I really do not like having to buy a new monitor, I'm considering doing so now.

But it is very important to go with the right retailer who will swap them out for you with the minimum of hassle, you do not need to have problems with the retailer when you have spent a small fortune on a less than satisfactory screen.

Associate
I haven't seen a dead pixel on a new monitor since about 2005. I guess I'm just lucky (and upgrade fairly infrequently). Are they still a common issue?

Caporegime
We'd be paying a lot more if manufacturers had to bin every panel with a pixel imperfection.

I do agree though that QC needs to tighten up, some panels with pretty ghastly BLB make it out the factory in high end monitors.

We're already arguably paying over the odds to play a game of Russian roulette in regards to the pixel lottery. The least they can do is ensure the panels have none for the higher end monitors, look at something like the asus PG348Q, for the price of that thing there's absolutely no reason why it should have dead pixels.

Caporegime
for the price of that thing there's absolutely no reason why it should have dead pixels.

Well there is an obvious reason - lots of the manufactured panels clearly have defects. Although BLB seems a lot more of an issue than dead pixels. If you change the threshold of how many panels don't pass QC then your manufacturing costs rise, so does the end cost.

If you want a defect free monitor you're going to have to pay even more. There's no arbitrary price that guarantees no defects.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well there is an obvious reason - lots of the manufactured panels clearly have defects. Although BLB seems a lot more of an issue than dead pixels. If you change the threshold of how many panels don't pass QC then your manufacturing costs rise, so does the end cost.

If you want a defect free monitor you're going to have to pay even more. There's no arbitrary price that guarantees no defects.

That's what i mean though, we're already paying what most would consider a premium price for these things and yet the quality control is lacking to say the least. My own monitor has had issues from day 1, 2 replacements from Benq only netted me the same issues PLUS dead pixels.

Heres 1 of my issues, not my recording but the same issue regardless.

And heres the other which it does randomly from time to time. (my recording)

IMO, totally unacceptable and the 2 replacements do the same thing. Benq point blank refuse to send me a new monitor and instead send me refurbs, which to me it looks like have been sent back for the same issues i was experiencing, with the added bonus of dead pixels. They're very keen to try and say something else is causing the issue yet no monitor before this has ever had these issues. Needless to say they're on my **** list as far as monitors go. :mad:

Soldato
The thing is, even if someone IS willing to accept a stuck/dead pixel or two, they must also accept the fact that the second-hand value of their monitor has instantly taken a hit. If and when you come to sell it on, there is little doubt it will be worth less than one that has zero stuck/dead pixels. So something to think about for anyone who thinks they would be OK with it.

Soldato
Would put up with it on a ~£100 cheapie unit for an office environment. When the display is mostly static, you tend to lose track of them anyway.

Not acceptable on "premium" (and I use the term with hesitation these days) screens for gamers or graphics work.

Back
Top Bottom