Your opinion on dead pixels on a new monitor.

Soldato
Pretty grim, how they can feel it is acceptable to knowingly sell a product at a premium price with such quality issues.
That glitching which can affect various makes of 27 and 32" panels has been known for some time and yet they are still being sold at a top price, with the same issue.

Caporegime
Pretty grim, how they can feel it is acceptable to knowingly sell a product at a premium price with such quality issues.
That glitching which can affect various makes of 27 and 32" panels has been known for some time and yet they are still being sold at a top price, with the same issue.

Its obvious that at some point in production they had to have been aware of this issue but were obviously hoping that it would be ironed out by the panel manufacturer, until then they could just make people jump through hoops with their tech support stonewalling replacements for a time. Acers response looks pretty bad, an issue that's been known about for a year and they're only recently starting to acknowledge it? That's just a farce to say the least.

Soldato
Its obvious that at some point in production they had to have been aware of this issue but were obviously hoping that it would be ironed out by the panel manufacturer, until then they could just make people jump through hoops with their tech support stonewalling replacements for a time. Acers response looks pretty bad, an issue that's been known about for a year and they're only recently starting to acknowledge it? That's just a farce to say the least.

Read this from another site regarding the glitching on their second monitor....

- DisplayPort desync/corruption flashes still happened, but somewhat rarer - by now I've noticed them roughly only once a day. But they are very random, so maybe this is not real change but just a fluke. Lately I've investigated it further, and same flashes happen on other maker's monitors with same panel (e.g. BenQ BL3201), so looks like a panel issue and certainly nothing to do with monitor/cable/G-sync.

Their first....

Monitor sometimes (albeit very rarely, about ~once in several hours) glitched for a single frame. This appeared as very brief (probably one frame - 1/60 second) "corruption flash" of the half of the screen. By placing camera on continuous surveillance I was able to record when it happened to show you how it looks. This happens with monitor's own displayport cable, which appear to be good quality Amphenol cable, so its very unlikely cable's fault. Half-screen because this panel uses 2 display controllers for each half and only one glitches. I've checked and immediately found plenty of reports of other people spotting this both on Acer's own forum and Amazon.com/de - trying with different GPU, cables, no luck. However, as for now Acer just never properly responded to this issue except saying "we are looking at it" (and it was first reported several months ago).

That PD3200U that you are getting, you are not using that for gaming are you...?

Associate
My Aoc PF 144hz that bought for sub £200 has none. And I wouldn't put up with a single one. The trouble is these days upgrading your monitor is usually a hassle rather then a joy. I was tempted to move up to a higher resolution but see little point in playing the lottery and being disappointed. Buying new tech should be fun.

Associate
I would keep a monitor if it had only one dead or stuck pixel on a 1440p or higher resolution if it's very hard to notice. It will be more noticeable on a 1080p monitor. If the monitor is free from the other pitfalls then I wouldn't want to roll the dice again just for one pixel.

If the pixel policy of the monitor is clear then that's that. If someone isn't going to accept that then they should purchase a model that has a zero dead or bright pixel policy. Returning monitors for one pixel won't help keep the prices down for the consumers in the long term imo.

Soldato
I will be yes, the current screen is pretty good for games, the 3200u is more or less the same panel.

After reading about the issues with the Acer I considered that but as it is specified for a particular user I realised that it didn't have Gsync and also had pretty bad ghosting for game use, at least according to the review I had watched here....

Other reviews have noted the same about game use.

Please post back on your thoughts, as that is still on my list of possibilities.

Caporegime
After reading about the issues with the Acer I considered that but as it is specified for a particular user I realised that it didn't have Gsync and also had pretty bad ghosting for game use, at least according to the review I had watched here....

Other reviews have noted the same about game use.

Please post back on your thoughts, as that is still on my list of possibilities.

Can't say i noticed any ghosting on the 3201, toms hardware review didn't mention any gaming ghosting problems either.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/benq-pd3200u-32-inch-uhd-monitor,review-33846.html

Caporegime
Fingers crossed that you get a good one.

That could be a good monitor, just lacking the Gsync that the Acer has.

I had an asus pg348q for about a week, i honestly didn't notice gsync having much of an effect, or indeed the 100hz refresh rate over 60hz. Varies on a person to person basis, maybe 120hz i'd feel more of a difference, but overall was surprised that my reaction to a superwide 100hz gsync panel was "meh".

Soldato
I had an asus pg348q for about a week, i honestly didn't notice gsync having much of an effect, or indeed the 100hz refresh rate over 60hz. Varies on a person to person basis, maybe 120hz i'd feel more of a difference, but overall was surprised that my reaction to a superwide 100hz gsync panel was "meh".

Point take, might well be a subjective thing as I have read that before.

When your Benq does arrive post back your findings.

Associate
I do know OCUK have a return policy for even 1 dead pixel on selected high end monitors, which is great piece of mind.

Where is this stated, is there a link ?

IMO, totally unacceptable and the 2 replacements do the same thing. Benq point blank refuse to send me a new monitor and instead send me refurbs, which to me it looks like have been sent back for the same issues i was experiencing, with the added bonus of dead pixels. They're very keen to try and say something else is causing the issue yet no monitor before this has ever had these issues. Needless to say they're on my **** list as far as monitors go. :mad:

Mine too now.

As said totally unacceptable given the price.

Soldato

Did you get your Benq 3200...? Mine turned up today. Pretty impressed so far.

Caporegime
Sounds promising, altho you have not had much luck so far with Benq.

It does seem to play well enough for me in games and the blacks are really deep.

Got some automated email about it still being in progress, probably trying to find a 3200 with no dead pixels.

Soldato
Got some automated email about it still being in progress, probably trying to find a 3200 with no dead pixels.

It does seem to be taking its time...? Anyway I hope that you get a keeper.
The one that I have got was a second user screen and the money that I paid, and understanding the panel lottery situation, its a keeper so far.
It is an impressive monitor, amazed at the desktop work-space room, thankfully not seen a reason to scale and so Windows is at 100%.

Caporegime
  • Our Approved Service Provider has finalized the repair and the unit has been shipped back to you.

Sounds as if its coming from a third party repair place....this should be good.

And it looks as thouhg they have the facts arse about face, my original panel is a 3201pt and they're replacing it with a pd3200u, yet the email says:

Original product:

PD3200U

New - changed (similar or upgraded) - model:

BL3201PT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom