Your opinion on dead pixels on a new monitor.

Soldato
Wouldn't accept it myself and would return within the 14 days as if you try returning a monitor to OCUK for the for sole reason of a dead pixel you'll get the standard manufacture allows upto 5 before it's considered faulty.

Caporegime
Friend of mine took delivery of a Benq ps3200u 32" screen today (basically an upgraded version of my screen without all the glaring issues benq tried to sweep under the carpet), unsurprisingly it has dead pixels. £800 monitor =/

I'm in the process of emailing benq about my dissatisfaction of my screen, though considering the shoddy 2 year warranty passed a month or so back they'll probably tell me to FO. Looking back on previous email conversations with them they basically tried to blame everything but the monitor, even going so far as to put blame on my electricity supply (not even joking about this unfortunately). Told me to buy a new Dp cable, apparently the one they supplied with the monitor wasn't good enough either. :rolleyes: Even after replacing it they sill engaged in "try this try that" tactics to stall having to finally admit the screen was the issue. It would actually still be in warranty if their stalling tactics weren't engaged.

For ***** and giggles here's one of their email responses from when i was initally having issues with it:

Dear Gerard

Thank you for contacting BenQ

Regarding the video it looks to be a mains problem, please get a rd filter for the pc and the monitor that should already solve the issue and is not that much expensive it just costs some euro.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/articles/mainsproblems.asp

Regards

Martin

BenQ Europe

http://benq.co.uk

Yeah so every other monitor i've had has worked fine, i purchase a benq monitor and it arrives with a monocle on saying "this power isn't pure enough for me, i demand the best". That's basically what these todgers wanted me to believe. Never again will i buy from these ******* yahoos. Just another pack of ********* that go through a checklist that seems to be punctuated with " only exchange monitor as an absolute last resort, or if customer threatens to insert a cactus up the asses of the entire RMA dept".

Last edited:
Caporegime
OOoh got a reply back, apparently i'm still under warranty, now to get this returned in exchange for another refurb that was sent back for the same issues, essentially exchanging a faulty panel for another faulty panel. :o Trying to push for a PD3200U as a replacement as most of the issues of the 3201pt seem fixed with that screen, its basically a slightly upgraded 3201pt.

Caporegime
you never get dead pixels on tv's weird it happens on monitors

Probably more noticeable on monitors as people generally check the screen for them after setting the screen up for the first time. Probably not the case for a tv.

Benq requested pics of the dead pixels on my screen and their "engineers" are looking over the videos.

Caporegime
Do support staff actually read the email they get? Got another email asking what res and what cables i was running on my benq screen, its only been mentioned in previous responses twice so far...

Caporegime
God, being in touch with benq Cs is like pulling teeth, yesterday it was what refresh rate were you using, today its what version of windows were you using. Literally 1 email a day with questions ive already answered. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
God, being in touch with benq Cs is like pulling teeth, yesterday it was what refresh rate were you using, today its what version of windows were you using. Literally 1 email a day with questions ive already answered. :rolleyes:
At least they are getting back to you, I've got Kingston with some Hyper X headphones and they still haven't gotten back to me after 3 working days, I've tried two options, one E-Mail and one RMA form on their site, I mean I sent an E-Mail last friday they are meant to get back to you within 3 days max, according to their terms :( They run out of warranty in early November maybe that is why they are holding me at bay :D

I've tried Roccat and Razer warranty in the past which were useless, I no longer buy their products, Evga are excellent let's see about Kingston.

Caporegime
At least they are getting back to you, I've got Kingston with some Hyper X headphones and they still haven't gotten back to me after 3 working days, I've tried two options, one E-Mail and one RMA form on their site, I mean I sent an E-Mail last friday they are meant to get back to you within 3 days max, according to their terms :( They run out of warranty in early November maybe that is why they are holding me at bay :D

I've tried Roccat and Razer warranty in the past which were useless, I no longer buy their products, Evga are excellent let's see about Kingston.

They are but its mind numbing some of the questions i'm being asked, what os, what res, what refresh rate, i mean obviously i buy a 4k monitor to use it at 1024 at 30 hz.

I've been pushing for an upgrade to the PD3200U 32 model, which is essentially the same screen but from what I've read has better internals and doesn't glitch like this screen does. If i get yet another 3201pt with yet more dead pixels and glitching i'm liable to take a dump on it and then return it to benq hq. Being fobbed off with supposed refurbished screens does my nut, this will be my third exchange, you would think a new screen would be the order of the day instead of getting a "quality refurb" that's been past the eagle eyes of their quality control manager, Mr Magoo.

They send the screen out and i have literally a couple of minutes to swap the panels out while the courier waits for me to do this, they pretty much send an entire retail setup, monitor, stand, cables etc but i've only to open the box, take the panel out and put the old one in, tape it up and hand it to the courier. Benq seem utterly bemused when i tell them i didn't keep the original box that could house 50 people in the basement of my mansion.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are but its mind numbing some of the questions i'm being asked, what os, what res, what refresh rate, i mean obviously i buy a 4k monitor to use it at 1024 at 30 hz.

I've been pushing for an upgrade to the PD3200U 32 model, which is essentially the same screen but from what I've read has better internals and doesn't glitch like this screen does. If i get yet another 3201pt with yet more dead pixels and glitching i'm liable to take a dump on it and then return it to benq hq. Being fobbed off with supposed refurbished screens does my nut, this will be my third exchange, you would think a new screen would be the order of the day instead of getting a "quality refurb" that's been past the eagle eyes of their quality control manager, Mr Magoo.

They send the screen out and i have literally a couple of minutes to swap the panels out while the courier waits for me to do this, they pretty much send an entire retail setup, monitor, stand, cables etc but i've only to open the box, take the panel out and put the old one in, tape it up and hand it to the courier. Benq seem utterly bemused when i tell them i didn't keep the original box that could house 50 people in the basement of my mansion.
Yeah I agree it takes the absolute ****, it's one of the reason why when buying new you always want to make sure you have a decent returns policy, obviously that doesn't help later on down the line if issue crop up.

Caporegime
Yeah I agree it takes the absolute ****, it's one of the reason why when buying new you always want to make sure you have a decent returns policy, obviously that doesn't help later on down the line if issue crop up.

If there's anything I've learned about benq is they'll have you jumping through hoops trying out the most inane **** seeing if they can find something else to blame before finally sending over another refurb with the same issues.

Now I've mentioned a few times in the emails back and forth i'd prefer the newer model the PD3200U, yet i can just about bet they will finally say that it has to be exchanged "like for like" and an (on paper at best) "upgrade" is not possible, despite me already mentioning it, its like "oh we never seen that part of your emails where you mentioned it before, so we just thought we'd string you along before saying no at the last hurdle". I also said i'd prefer a new panel, not a refurb as I've already went through 2 and all they did was add dead pixels to the original glitching problem. 2 years after shelling out £700 at not at any point have i had a glitch free monitor, you would think sending me a new one would be on the cards to make up for that surely?

Should hopefully get the final email tomorrow about this as they stated they'll get back to me shortly with a final solution, presumably that doesn't involve me donning SS regalia and rounding up Jews. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Ended up they're sending a "refurbished" PD3200U which will be checked for dead pixels before sending it out. Hopefully get it later this week. Should be interesting to see if it actually arrives with none.

Soldato
Ended up they're sending a "refurbished" PD3200U which will be checked for dead pixels before sending it out. Hopefully get it later this week. Should be interesting to see if it actually arrives with none.

Is the glitching problem you mentioned in your other post the same as what I'm reading about the Acer 32" Predator can suffer from.?

There is a 18 page that over at their support forum with complaints from numerous people about it having a flicker.

Acer has acknowledged it but also state that the issue is with the panel and so affects other makes.

The Acer 32" was in my basket up to that point.

Might have gone well with my 1080Ti.

Caporegime
Is the glitching problem you mentioned in your other post the same as what I'm reading about the Acer 32" Predator can suffer from.?

There is a 18 page that over at their support forum with complaints from numerous people about it having a flicker.

Acer has acknowledged it but also state that the issue is with the panel and so affects other makes.

The Acer 32" was in my basket up to that point.

Might have gone well with my 1080Ti.

Not sure the one i get is like a vertical pink coloured flash that occurs every so often, looks just like this:

Totally random as to how often it occurs, can be every other hour, can be once a day, but the fact is it shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Soldato
Not sure the one i get is like a vertical pink coloured flash that occurs every so often, looks just like this:

Totally random as to how often it occurs, can be every other hour, can be once a day, but the fact is it shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

There are several threads over at the Acer forum. This is one.....

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Monitors/XB321HK-Weird-Artifact/td-p/441879/page/16

Trying to get a good monitor had always been a panel lottery, regardless of cost. But now it seems that there are other factors that they can screw up with as well.

Caporegime
There are several threads over at the Acer forum. This is one.....

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Monitors/XB321HK-Weird-Artifact/td-p/441879/page/16

Trying to get a good monitor had always been a panel lottery, regardless of cost. But now it seems that there are other factors that they can screw up with as well.

The same video is linked a few posts down as well, :p

As someone else said, monitors at the minute are a minefield, top dollar for Mr Magoo like quality control. Just seems like QA is an afterthought and something they like to deal with after the fact.

This guy on page 18 of that thread has it really bad :eek:

Back
Top Bottom