Your perception of this community

Caporegime
Sorry, thought we were only talking about GD. Many of the sub-forums are actually very, very useful places for info and opinion. I always enjoy what the mainly knowledgeable people in Motors have to say and I like the Football Stadium for it's humour and occasional salient points. I've also had some good hardware advice over the years on the more technical parts of the forum.

Caporegime
It's like anywhere really...Most here are fine to get on with in all parts of the forum, some people are ridiculously knowledgeable, and some are just down right pullocks who come on here purely to stir! :D

Although in general people are ace.

Caporegime
OCUK puts more value on freedom of speech than many other forums I visit. Some of the more vocal racists here would have been banned rather sharpish on other communities. The policy seems to be one of tolerating them and debating them, which is all well and fine, but does make the community feel a bit oppressive sometimes, especially when the debates come up every other week.

one thing i never get is how a thread will start with a race angle (news article about black gangs etc) you'll get the usual irritating tossers posting "oh look another ocuk racist thread:rolleyes:" then for the rest of the thread there will be 2-3 people with dodgy race views being shouted down by 20-30 + other forum members but no it's those 2-3 people that apparently make up the majority of the forum not the other 30.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
GD is often funny. Much of the rest of the forum is often useful. Rarely do those two facets overlap.

Last edited:
Associate
Always found this forum to be quite fair and give a generally good response to most things.

One thing i realised when i started coming here is that a lot of posters say they save vast quantities of cash every month and are doing this and that with it.

Strangely enough i know very few people "in real life" who seem to have the financial savvy of the posters on here.

Just a casual observation :D

Caporegime
Strangely enough i know very few people "in real life" who seem to have the financial savvy of the posters on here.

Just a casual observation :D

maybe you hang around with a different type of person?

That and most of the members share one very expensive hobby so have probbaly gotten used to having to save over the years to get that new GTX sticker for their card :p

Soldato
The community in general is OK if not a little younger than myself. It amazes me just how easy it is to provoke an emotional driven post from some members, its almost as if they really think you care when they go of on one. Post anything which runs against the grain or questions someone else's world view and there is sure to be a forum gangbang coming your way. But if you sit it out they quickly run out of stream and normally their arguement does hold much weight out side of emotion.

Man of Honour
The community in general is OK if not a little younger than myself. It amazes me just how easy it is to provoke an emotional driven post from some members, its almost as if they really think you care when they go of on one. Post anything which runs against the grain or questions someone else's world view and there is sure to be a forum gangbang coming your way. But if you sit it out they quickly run out of stream and normally their arguement does hold much weight out side of emotion.

butt hurt?

Soldato
I find the community in general a lot more right-wing than many other forums I go to (I'm not saying that's a bad thing). There's a core of "elite" members, along with some staff and ex-staff who can get away with almost anything here, and others seem to follow their example.

If anyone posts something that goes against the grain (conspiracy theory, extreme right or left wing views) then they are almost instantly met with hostility. There are lots of "bandwagon jumpers" who will see someone on the receiving end of such hostility, and they will join in for the fun of it, it's almost like watching a kid getting bullied at school.

There's a few memes, some funny, some annoying, but it's good to see that some of those memes were created by the community itself, and not just taken from 4chan.

Associate
I've found this forum helpful before, but I do get the impression that this community is rife with racism. Although I probably shouldn't, I do associate the racism with the shop as I've seen moderators be very harsh on normal swearing, but then are happy to let a racial slurs slide, which is bizarre logic to say the least as obviously they are still expletives.

It's a bit sad I have this impression, because overall there's a lot of helpful and funny stuff, which is why I still come on here sometimes.

Soldato
The racism has definitely died down in the years, gone are the days of 'send them back!' :p

Excellent community and extremely well managed by the voluntary staff. I've been a regular here for more years than I'd like to imagine and it's the one and only forum I've actually stuck by throughout the years.

Instant, intellectual replies from a mixture of characters gives it a real time quality.

Soldato
Sweeping generalisations: a slightly right wing forum with terrible spelling and grammar where most people work in IT (or want to) and earn less than they admit to. But no-where near as racist as it was about 6 years ago.

But on the whole it's a very good forum, with maybe 5 threads a year that are true classics and can be re-read years later and still be hilarious.

Soldato
Better when it's term time.

Blue and white :confused:

Yup. I want to browse at work.. and blue and white make it bloody obvious.

I view the forum as very narrow minded and sometimes full of keyboard warriors. I'm guilty of this at times, but always ready to accept I've been a pleb, apologise and move on.

However, it's also a great resource when you have a specific problem or need advice on hardware :)

Soldato
Yup. I want to browse at work.. and blue and white make it bloody obvious.

The forum needs a less obvious theme option for this reason. :p

I like this place, it provides plenty of laughs and helps me get through the day. It's quite a lot less hostile/ban-happy than it was a few years back when I were a mere lurker.

Caporegime
Informative, funny, serious when the need arises, and generally a good community.

Good moderation (more or less!) and an uncanny ability by some to uncover anything thats covered up!

a lot of BS out on the web about this place, were it true, I doubt I for one would still be here.

Back
Top Bottom