Your views on gun laws in the UK

Yes, to put it bluntly.

You can't legislate for the majority based on the activities of a single crazy individual and still claim to be a fair, free and Liberal society.

Sorry, missed your reply.

We might as well do away with the legislation designed to help protect us from acts of terrorism then.

After all it's only the activities of a few crazy individuals and we wouldn't want to legislate against the activities of the minority in a "fair, free and Liberal society".

Last edited:
I completely agree with rz30.

An obvious example is the right to defend your own home. If someone's in your home uninvited, you expect to be able to use any means necessary to get them to leave, or to arrest them. Thing is, you don't want to take any risks. So you use enough force to end the confrontation quickly. Then you get prosecuted for unreasonable force.

Not in the UK. We have strong defence laws.

This country is messed up like that.

No, the media is messed up like that and too many people are content to not think.

I can say with a great deal of confidence that you can't provide any evidence to support your position.

You live in a country where a person quite famously got off after getting a posse together, hunting someone down and making a determined effort to beat them to death purely as revenge.

So either you are a dangerous psychopath who wants the right to torture people to death for your own enjoyment and who sees that as reasonable force or you are talking rubbish.

I see no problem with people being able to legally possess firearms for home defence [..]

1) Mistaken use. People have been shot in the USA because a home owner wrongly thought that they were a threat. All it takes is someone with a gun and a touch of paranoia. Hey, why would anyone be walking up your garden path if they weren't going to break in?

2a) Children. They're curious. Some people will get shot by children if guns are accessible in homes and some children will shoot themselves if guns are accessible in homes.

2b) If guns are not accessible in homes, then they're no use for home defence. If a child can't get access to it in hours, nobody can get access to it in seconds (which is necessary for home defence - you can't expect an intruder to wait a couple of minutes while you access the safe, open the safe, access the ammunition, load the gun and then shoot them).

You can argue that the deaths are a reasonable price to pay for having guns in people's homes, but it's not true that there aren't any problems with it.

Last edited:
Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence
Switzerland % homicide rate 58%, England 8%
Switzerland firearm homicide rate per 100k population = 0.56, England =0.12
I.e., the rate of deaths by firearms is 5x other in Switzerland than England and wales.

Also stats here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

What would the homicide rate per 100k be if England had the same population as Switzerland?

7.5 odd million VS 54.5 odd million.

Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence
Switzerland % homicide rate 58%, England 8%
Switzerland firearm homicide rate per 100k population = 0.56, England =0.12
I.e., the rate of deaths by firearms is 5x other in Switzerland than England and wales.

Also stats here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

You need to compare absolute homicide rate, not firearm homicides, people without access to guns can just kill with a knife instead.

The list of countries by firearm related death is a bit out-dated. Northern Ireland scores pretty high, but the stats are from 1994. Four years before the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

Can anyone do the math from my post above? I'm terrible at maths but I gave it a shot... 54.5 divided by 7.5 equals 7.26. 0.12 multiplied by 7.26 equals 0.87. Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree?

Last edited:
What would the homicide rate per 100k be if England had the same population as Switzerland?

7.5 odd million VS 54.5 odd million.

I think you need to go back to school and redo your GCSE maths.

The rate per 100k takes into about pop. size differences.

Last edited:
The list of countries by firearm related death is a bit out-dated. Northern Ireland scores pretty high, but the stats are from 1994. Four years before the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

Can anyone do the math from my post above? I'm terrible at maths but I gave it a shot... 54.5 divided by 7.5 equals 7.26. 0.12 multiplied by 7.26 equals 0.87. Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree?

You are barking up the complete wrong tree. The numbers are already Normalised by population size.

You need to compare absolute homicide rate, not firearm homicides, people without access to guns can just kill with a knife instead.

Homicide rates vary between countries due to a huge range of social economic and cultural issues so the total homicide rate is irrelevant.
the facts remain that countries with legal gun ownership have a higher homicide rate by firearms.

Yes, you can kill someone by other means but nothing else is as effective, lethal, instantaneous and thoughtless than using a gun.

Back
Top Bottom