Your views on gun laws in the UK

Soldato
Think of the kind of people who want guns in the UK, think long & hard - the kind of people with collections of samurai swords & gun magazines, masturbating over pictures of military hardware & wearing camouflage-gear to pubs - do you really want those kind of people to be armed?.

The kind of people who.....................post on here for instance?

Many of whom, own samurai swords, knives, camoflage gear, toy guns, knives etc etc.

Shocking statement.

Soldato
The american constitution allowed citizens the right to bear arms in a largely undeveloped and hostile country. Which also raised civilian militia instead of having a large standing army and used gun toting citizens to assist the sherriff posse and hunt down the unlawful.

These were originally single shot muzzle loading weapons and later six shot handguns, rifles and two barreled shot guns.

Now you have semi auto 13 shot capacity handguns, semi or full auto carbines and machine guns. These are weapons for war and not primarily self defense.

So thanks but no thanks. The brits do not want ease of availability of guns on the street even for the police. More guns must mean more shootings.

Soldato
The kind of people who.....................post on here for instance?

Many of whom, own samurai swords, knives, camoflage gear, toy guns, knives etc etc.

Shocking statement.
I fail to see what's shocking.

The kind of person who wants a gun is exactly the kind of person I don't trust to have a gun.

I just think i should be allowed to do what i like as long as it doesnt impact on anyone else.
That's all good & well, but having an armed population does impact on everybody else.

If somebody comes at me with a knife I have the chance to fight back to an extent, I can run, grab a chair if one is close (really good defence) - not sure what I'd be able to do against a handgun at close range.

Last edited:
Soldato
The mere fact that anybody would be allowed to have a gun would impact on everybody else. The military and armed police exist for a reason; yes there are cases where a gun would probably be handy but there are many more reasons not to own one.

Soldato
I have some bad news for you. Plenty of people already own guns. How has this impacted your life?
Define plenty (as a percentage of population).

Then I'll determine if "plenty" is actually the correct term to use.

I'll save you the time,

705,616 according to BBC data from the individual police forces on firearm ownership.

Out of a population of 62,262,000 (wiki latest), that's 1.13% of the population - with 3% being the average for some parts of Wales (farming areas) and 3% for the north & east of England - bringing it up from 0.39% of the population for the west midland's & 0.38% for London.

Yeah... plenty....

Compared to figures ranging from 45% to 55% in the USA.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato

Couldn't tell you the number of people but the number of legally held guns in the UK is approximately 1.8m. I would say that is enough to count as "plenty" considering the non-specific nature of the word "plenty".

Soldato
It all comes down to acceptable risk, cars kill many more people a year percentage wise than guns do, yet we are all still allowed to own cars.

Soldato
It all comes down to acceptable risk, cars kill many more people a year percentage wise than guns do, yet we are all still allowed to own cars.
It's not just risk, you have to take into account gain/function.

Car's specific function isn't to kill, it's transportation.

Surgery carry's significant risks, but the potential gain is extension of life/reduction of pain.

A gun has a very limited function, self defence is a flawed reason (as by legalising guns the chances of being shot increases vastly - safety would only increase if JUST YOU were allowed a gun - but in reality, it wouldn't be the case).

Soldato
Thats just one take on it though, car for me is for fun i dont need it for transport and guns provide an income along with fun. So for me guns hold the high benifit.

Soldato

There are 5.6 guns per 100 people in the UK.

There are 90 per 100 people in the US.

There are 0.5 mass killings per 10million people in the UK 1960-2010.

There are 0.8 mass killings per 10million people in the US since 1960-2010.

Tighter gun control since 1997 has done nothing to reduce gun crime, it had doubled by 2004/05.
We are supposed to of been ecstatic that it had been reduced to only 2/3rds more than 1997 levels when Labour were finally booted in 2010.

Soldato
There are 5.6 guns per 100 people in the UK.

There are 90 per 100 people in the US.

There are 0.5 mass killings per 10million people in the UK 1960-2010.

There are 0.8 mass killings per 10million people in the US since 1960-2010.

Tighter gun control since 1997 has done nothing to reduce gun crime, it had doubled by 2004/05.
We are supposed to of been ecstatic that it had been reduced to only 2/3rds more than 1997 levels when Labour were finally booted in 2010.
Guns per head means nothing.

You need to look at firearm owners, not total guns.

Back
Top Bottom