YouTube Music Premium

Permabanned
The free "Adblock Plus" in MS store for Edge and Chromium Edge works for me as does the Extension "Enhancer For YouTube (I do not use it for that purpose though)" as does my paid lifetime sub for "AdGuard" (I have not used for while as had issues with the new version 7.0 onward and not sure if fixed but I was on the Windows installed version not browser plug in.

Soldato
How are people still finding the service?

Thinking of subbing up as most of my viewing is done on YT these days and seems like a no brainer to get rid of the ads and get a bit more value using the music app as well.

I have it mostly because you can download YouTube videos on the YouTube app. Then it becomes a question of if Spotify etc is worth £10-20 a month more to me. Answer is no.

Associate
I have it mostly because you can download YouTube videos on the YouTube app. Then it becomes a question of if Spotify etc is worth £10-20 a month more to me. Answer is no.

Yep downloaded a few today, set them up in playlists, tremendous stuff. Really happy with it. Might have to have a word with the Mrs about cancelling our Apple Music sub! Minor issue is that we have a Homepod. I'd personally have no issues just airplaying stuff over, but my wife and daughter enjoy using it and as this Premium sub is only costing a couple of quid, can just use both subs in tandem.

Soldato
Yep downloaded a few today, set them up in playlists, tremendous stuff. Really happy with it. Might have to have a word with the Mrs about cancelling our Apple Music sub! Minor issue is that we have a Homepod. I'd personally have no issues just airplaying stuff over, but my wife and daughter enjoy using it and as this Premium sub is only costing a couple of quid, can just use both subs in tandem.

Fair enough I'm all Google home devices or built in Chromecast speakers with a Google homes mini controlling it so YouTube music works for me (though I still use Google play music as my default playback on Google home despite using YouTube music on my phone).

The download feature is important to me as I commute to work and signal can get patchy. And rather useful on flights too and I travel for work a lot.

Soldato
I've had it via VPN signup for a few months without issue, I must say though - it's pretty terrible. You can't seem to add/follow/subscribe to artists without adding them to your YouTube subscriptions, which is absolutely not what I want to do. Maybe there is another way to do it, but I find the whole thing so unintuitive I gave up and went back to Spotify.

You can still use the older Google Play Music with the premium sub, but they'll likely shutter that before too long.

Soldato
I've been very impressed with it and the content they have to be honest, granted it's being viewed as an additional feature for me as I got the YT Premium for couple of quid using the VPN trick.

Probably not quite there yet to want me to switch over from Spotify but not far off IMO. They need a better UI for sure.

Soldato
The download feature is important to me as I commute to work and signal can get patchy. And rather useful on flights too and I travel for work a lot.
Is the download quality the same as streamed ie 256Kb/s ? .. the apparent 500track limit would be fine.

On Tidal their USA catalogue can be different to UK one (licensing ?) for example I couldn't find Pet Shop Boys discography when I moved playlists; there's still talk of tidal being financially unstable so may need someone new soon.

Soldato
Is the download quality the same as streamed ie 256Kb/s ? .. the apparent 500track limit would be fine.

On Tidal their USA catalogue can be different to UK one (licensing ?) for example I couldn't find Pet Shop Boys discography when I moved playlists; there's still talk of tidal being financially unstable so may need someone new soon.

I was talking more about download on YouTube itself than YouTube music which YouTube premium allows you to do.

To answer your question though you can download the music at same bitrate as streaming. It is a great deal lower than tidal hifi though.

Soldato
YT normal has been 128Kb/s opus, for several years now, which sounds pretty poor (same as Nowtv - lol)
used to get a lot of YT at 192 Kb/s aac which was fine in comparison, YT premium is 256Kb/s so noticably better.

Certain tracks you can play in normal YT but are greyed out in YT Music which doesn't make sense.
they haven't got a license for a decent bitrate version, a lot of the bands had rightfully become very litigious when they realised how spotify were paying peanuts, plus the issue of tidal increasing play rates on the founders Jay-z / beyoncee(not on my playlist) tracks so they got an unfair cut.

Associate
YT Premium and Music has been a revelation. Absolutely love it.

Will be hard pressed to find better ways to spend £2 a month!

Soldato
Can I use my regular payment/billing details? I have got as far as that point using the India VPN. I read somewhere that you need to use a card like Revolut or Starling etc and also use an Indian address generator, is this necessary?

Back
Top Bottom