YouTube Music Premium

Soldato
OP
Just recently I been forcing myself to use YTM over spotify. I'm just a tight arse really.

You know, I'm starting to really like it. The history and having it guess what songs I might like is really quite brilliant. I've found a lot of great songs I wouldn't have found using spotify.

Spotify kept playing me bloomin harry styles and dua lipa on repeat just because at some point in time I might have stumbled across a now album :p

Do you cast music? One of my biggest bugs with ytm is that once casting, you can't select shuffle/repeat, and the casting music is not easy to stop. Google music was a case of click the x in the notifications, where as with ytb you have to clopen up the app, minimise the now playing screen, click the cast icon, then click stop. Very annoying.

Soldato
Just recently I been forcing myself to use YTM over spotify. I'm just a tight arse really.
Isn't YTM the same price as Spotify? Or are you doing some weird Indian VPN thing?

Spotify kept playing me bloomin harry styles and dua lipa on repeat just because at some point in time I might have stumbled across a now album :p
It might be a new feature, but Spotify lets you mute artists and dislike songs. Seems a little better than a thumbs down on YTM.

Anyhoo, I just cancelled my YTM at £7.99 and we're now on Spotify Premium Duo for £12.99 (so cheaper per month, each). Infinitely better straight away, I used Soundiiz to copy all my library which actually worked very well indeed. I was surprised. (I've also now revoked it's access, cancelled my sub, and change all of my passwords :p).

We've only used it a couple of times, but it's an absolute pleasure sticking on the Duo Mix when cooking etc. No more flippin' arguments 3 songs in when I put my stuff on shuffle "I don't know who this is, I didn't choose it, it's on ****ing shuffle for the hundredth time!" :mad: :p

Soldato
OP
Isn't YTM the same price as Spotify? Or are you doing some weird Indian VPN thing?

It might be a new feature, but Spotify lets you mute artists and dislike songs. Seems a little better than a thumbs down on YTM.

Anyhoo, I just cancelled my YTM at £7.99 and we're now on Spotify Premium Duo for £12.99 (so cheaper per month, each). Infinitely better straight away, I used Soundiiz to copy all my library which actually worked very well indeed. I was surprised. (I've also now revoked it's access, cancelled my sub, and change all of my passwords :p).

We've only used it a couple of times, but it's an absolute pleasure sticking on the Duo Mix when cooking etc. No more flippin' arguments 3 songs in when I put my stuff on shuffle "I don't know who this is, I didn't choose it, it's on ****ing shuffle for the hundredth time!" :mad: :p

Yeah, I pay £1.99 for the family plan (YT premium with no ads and music)

for the money I pay, I'm more than happy with it

Soldato
OP
Do you cast music? One of my biggest bugs with ytm is that once casting, you can't select shuffle/repeat, and the casting music is not easy to stop. Google music was a case of click the x in the notifications, where as with ytb you have to clopen up the app, minimise the now playing screen, click the cast icon, then click stop. Very annoying.

No mate, I have google minis so they can play directly from YT without needing to cast

Soldato
Also just cancelled GPM/YTM after being a subscriber since GPM launched a subscription model.

Couple of reasons:
  • YouTube music just wasn't a good user experience in my opinion, biggest gripe is the mix of search history between YTM from my phone and the YT app on my LG WebOS TV
  • I find the shuffle feature of YTM to be completely broken, at least in my experience when shuffling a 200 song play list that 4 people curated (to get through a 5hr road trip). It would randomly just stop shuffling and start playing as per how the playlist was created
  • The biggest reason: Lack of any decent WearOS devices. I don't want to take my phone with me when running so I've switched to Spotify as that has a standalone app for my Galaxy Watch 3. It's not perfect as the Spotify app sometimes just fails to get past the loading screen and I have to reinstall the watch app and redownload the offline running play list I want
I've been saying it for a while now and my recent experience/switch to Spotify further backs this up: if you're an Android user and have any interest outside of phones (e.g. tablets and wearables), you'll quickly discover that the Android platform has you conceding in too many areas.

The Galaxy Watch is by no means perfect, but it's fitness tracking, performance and battery life are night and day ahead of WearOS. The fitness tracking isn't just hardware either like number of photodiodes or SpO2 sensor, but Samsung Health is far superior to Google Fit. Even things like having different types of run tracking such as setting a target distance or pace, to having a specific coaching plan on improving stamina etc. When I look at the Google Fit app on Android phones, it's still just the basic "press start to track a run" type of sports tracking.

This is why I'm not too excited by things like SD Wear 4100 SoC because WearOS is still leagues behind in fitness tracking and battery efficiency even with improved hardware.

Soldato
Also just cancelled GPM/YTM after being a subscriber since GPM launched a subscription model.
I'd be really intrigued to see the stats for how many people are cancelling. It seems like people are all over the shop. But if course we'll never know, well until Google just decide to kill it off like they do most things!

Soldato
So today is the day Google finally killed GPM. Sad times, but have voted with my wallet and cancelled my YouTube Premium sub and it even gives you the option of "Youtube music app not of sufficient quality" (or similar) as a reason for cancelling.

Associate
So today is the day Google finally killed GPM. Sad times, but have voted with my wallet and cancelled my YouTube Premium sub and it even gives you the option of "Youtube music app not of sufficient quality" (or similar) as a reason for cancelling.

Went to try and play some of my uploaded music via the Nest Minis all over the house at the weekend... GPM just worked, 99% of the time... just about polar opposite now with YTM as the default music source on Google Home devices now.

"YouTube Music (app) not of sufficient quality" is really a giant understatement of epic proportions! It's gone from something I've used every day mostly, to something I can't even tolerate trying to use now... what on earth were/are they thinking?

Soldato
Went to try and play some of my uploaded music via the Nest Minis all over the house at the weekend... GPM just worked, 99% of the time... just about polar opposite now with YTM as the default music source on Google Home devices now.

"YouTube Music (app) not of sufficient quality" is really a giant understatement of epic proportions! It's gone from something I've used every day mostly, to something I can't even tolerate trying to use now... what on earth were/are they thinking?

That's odd, i've not currently found any issues playing music on home devices. I think I'm the only one that knows the default player has even changed lol

Soldato
Just signed up to YouTube premium (through the Ukraine for £2.69/month), PiHole seems to remove some adverts but not all and it will be nice to listen to music without having the app open and phone unlocked. I like the UI and the recommendations are very good.

Associate
That's odd, i've not currently found any issues playing music on home devices. I think I'm the only one that knows the default player has even changed lol

I've a few albums uploaded, ripped from bought CDs and different to normal versions, accordingly tagged... GPM would play them every time, first time of asking. Haven't a hope in hell of YTM even getting near so far (Tesseract - "Sonder Binaural" being one example, Dweezil Zappa - "Confessions" another). The Tesseract request brings up live versions, songs from earlier albums, but _never_ the exact version I've asked for.

Soldato
Since Google decided to close GPM for YTM I am kinda lost.

I have no idea what service to use next. Currently using Tidal Hifi which is pretty cool, The app isn't great though.

Soldato
I went to Spotify but it's not as good imo.
Missing my uploaded albums that aren't available on streaming and also miss the little "about album" info that you used to have so you could read a bit about each album you were listening to.

Soldato
I went to Spotify but it's not as good imo.
Albums that are missing from Spotify - I can't argue with that but jeez you're crazy bro. Spotify is miles better than than GPM ever was. Give it a month or too, rate some titles, add albums to your library, give them some data to work with and you're laughing. I've forever been a solid full-album-listener, hated shuffle and 'radio' stations. But now, it's so easy to flick on my Spotify daily mixes, release radar… literally anything they've created for me is spot on. They do have a good 'about' section for each artist, but not album.

any one else notice with YTM compared to GPM, when casting to google devices, it doesn't take long for this to just totally fail. if you select a playlist to play, it'll play and continue through it, but say 10 minutes later you add a song to play next, often it just doesn't, this does nothing. you can control the music, pausing, skip to next, volume still from your phone, but not the playlist. then if you click music from your phone to just literally start playing that song, it often just plays from your phone.

casting is totally broken.

i'm also still ****** that you can't select to shuffle music once you're casting. only before. such a terrible app.

Soldato
Albums that are missing from Spotify - I can't argue with that but jeez you're crazy bro. Spotify is miles better than than GPM ever was. Give it a month or too, rate some titles, add albums to your library, give them some data to work with and you're laughing. I've forever been a solid full-album-listener, hated shuffle and 'radio' stations. But now, it's so easy to flick on my Spotify daily mixes, release radar… literally anything they've created for me is spot on. They do have a good 'about' section for each artist, but not album.
GPM used to do that too... its hardly a revolutionary feature (with the exception of the release radar which I agree is pretty nice. I'm not saying Spotify is bad by any means - just found GPM better for me.

Soldato
GPM used to do that too... its hardly a revolutionary feature (with the exception of the release radar which I agree is pretty nice. I'm not saying Spotify is bad by any means - just found GPM better for me.
I'm aware GPM used to do it, I used it a fair amount. But even after using Spotify for just a couple of months it's far, far better than GPM ever was at recommending music.

Back
Top Bottom