Caporegime
Lol

You make it sound as if the whole moon was explored.

You're not answering the question. What case do we have to continue exploring? We can see most of it with satellites and telescopes, what would warrant spending exorbitant amounts of money to actually go there other than curiosity?

Man of Honour
One good question.... Why have we not gone "back" to the moon?

We've made huge technological advances since that first mission... And yet.... We haven't gone "back".
This is not a good question at all. In fact it's utterly retarded for anyone who can spend 30seconds thinking and googling.

It costs a huge amount of money, there's not a huge point to go back. And the money (reduced) was spent on shuttle and iss.
It's one of several reasons I'm massively in favour of deorbiting the iss at its next funding choice. It's time to take what we have learnt and move on to a moon base.

Soldato
Caporegime
Its the closest rock is the main reason. afaik its only worth investigating if there is some resource maybe some water. Landing on comets that come into earth's orbit is far more like it
Isnt China going to the Moon

hell of a camera
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5483277/mars-photos-rover-curiosity-panorama-selfie/

Exactly, there haven't been any discoveries I can think of which would warrant millions of dollars in R&D to send a crew back up there. I like your comet comparison, comets would have a million times more interesting things to research.

Soldato
Exactly, there haven't been any discoveries I can think of which would warrant millions of dollars in R&D to send a crew back up there. I like your comet comparison, comets would have a million times more interesting things to research.

Well you're not going to discover from here are you.... You have to go there to see things in greater detail.

Soldato
Sigh. I give up, you clearly don't understand much about science, engineering or economics so I'll leave you to continue believing videos on Youtube.

Lol ignore the YouTube video for a moment. I'm struggling to understand why you think. Going there would be pointless / a waste of time and money.... The place hasn't been fully explored.

Man of Honour
Would you not agree that he does have some reasonable questions?

I don't fancy watching hours of it, but if you repeat any of his questions about the moon landings I'm sure I can answer them. I doubt if he's come up with anything about it that hasn't been answered a thousand times already and I spent a fair few hours looking at the evidence some years ago when I wondered if there was anything in the persistent conspiracy belief about it (and found that there isn't).

The only question referred to so far is that of why we haven't gone back. The first part of the answer is that "we" did go back, repeatedly. The second part of the answer is that "we" haven't been back since the early 70s because nobody thinks it's worth spending a fortune on a risky mission for no reason. The reasons for the landings were to outdo the USSR and for the challenge of it and neither motive applies now. Despite the improvements in technology, it would still be a difficult, dangerous and extremely expensive thing to do so there would need to be a compelling reason to do it. Maybe the Chinese government would consider proving that they can do it to be enough of a motive. Maybe a business would do so. But even if they could do it, they could probably find something else that would serve their purpose better for the same money. The moon isn't very interesting and if someone with enough money (or enough authority to spend government money) wanted to investigate the moon they'd be far better off sending some robots to do it.

Man of Honour
It would've been so easy to lie to the public back then. Tv and radio was the only source of news/information. How could we no for certain they were actually there..... And then there's the story about the lost / overwritten tapes. I don't think I buy it anymore

We know for certain that they had the capability to send people to the moon and back because they showed it off to anyone who wanted to see it. It was a secret before. It wasn't a secret afterwards. Quite the opposite.

We know for certain that a very large number of people were involved, many of whom had enough relevant knowledge to judge whether or not the kit they were making was up to the job of taking people to the moon and back. We know that none of them have ever said it wasn't.

We know for certain that they sent missions to the moon at the stated times because they were broadcasting and numerous people around the world tracked the source of the signal, including numerous independent people. You could detect the source position of the signal using publically available equipment and many people did. To the moon and back.

So what purpose would they have had in developing the tech needed to do it for real, spending all the money needed to do it for real and then spending more money in taking the huge risk of faking it?

That's assuming you accept that they could have faked it, which is at best debateable. No CGI in those days. Consider, for example, the pendulum video. How could that have been faked with early 1970's technology?

We also know for certain that the government of the USSR accepted that the USA had beaten the USSR in the space race. Bear in mind this was the height of the cold war and the USSR and the USA were in bitter conflict over pretty much everything, including proxy wars in which many people died. The idea that the USSR was in on a conspiracy to pretend that the USA had beaten them in an important and extremely high profile thing is really rather implausible.

The conspiracy belief is hugely implausible. I don't buy it. Not at all. Not for a bent ha'penny. The idea is hugely implausible and has no sound evidence behind it.

Soldato
Theres no weight to that theory just a persistence of ignorance. Same deal to misunderstandings on steel rigidity compromised by heat. Didnt one of the astronauts leave a photo on the surface of his family and theres a reflector.

warrant millions of dollars in R&D to send a crew back up there.
A local bypass is set to cost a billion so I think landing on the moon which takes a little more then just an orbit I think they would be into the billions now due to inflation. I can see them sending a satellite there again with updated technology but not a manned mission.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Love this concept, other than the interior especially steering wheel.i hope it makes it to production. Oh and should be bigger like the original.

Back
Top Bottom