Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Man of Honour
DrCheese, If you shop around like I did you can find the Pro for £15 less than the Elite is on here. At the time the place I got my Pro from was selling it for just a fiver more than they were selling the Elite so it was a no brainer. Now though they have dropped the Elite as well which is now a further £15 cheaper than they are selling the already heavily discounted Pro.

My 9600k, Samsung Evo 250gb NVME drive and Giagbyte Z390 Pro came this morning. I must say that the Pro is a very nice looking board with a lovely deep matt black pcb. The vrm heatsinks are chunky and going by the design should be very effective at cooling the chips. I am actually going to try the onboard audio before installing my Soundblaster Z and see how it compares. The only problem I may have is the fitted I/O shield. My pc is in my desk and the motherboard lies down horizontally. The way my cooling is set up is from the front of the board to the back (2x 200mm fans at each end) so the I/O shield may trap a pocket of heat under the shroud and prevent the lower vrm heatsink from cooling properly. If I remove the I/O shield the rear fan sits just behind the vrm heatsinks and will just suck the heat out but then the led in the shroud will be shining out of the rear. I guess I will try it with the I/O fitted and hope for the best because once it's built it will be too much hassle to take apart again due to hardline watercooling.

To give you a idea of what I am going on about this is how it's set up currently. That's looking down into my desk so the bottom is the front and the top is the rear. The vrm's will be air cooled on the Gigabyte so I need to make a new pipe from the pump to the gpu. Water cooling the vrm's was just to make routing the pipe from the pump to the gpu easier and the block only cost me £6 so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

GKNirND.jpg

Associate
I'm having a lot of issues with my Z390 Master which is completely turning me off Gigabyte and making me want to use the Asus Maximus XI Hero I have sitting in a box.
Basically when I first got my 9900K I was using a Maximus X Code, was able to run 5Ghz at 1.33V with an AVX offset of 2 without any real issues. However I just had an itch I wanted to scratch with using a Z390 board. I bought the Hero XI and whilst it was in transit all the furore regarding the VRM happened, so I got an Aorus Master since it's apparently awesome.

Well mine isn't.

I know I'm spoiled by the Asus BIOS but damn the Gigabyte is just a pain in comparison. Plus I'm actually having major issues running any overclock. First thing I noticed when running a blend test in prime95(AVX version) was the package temp of the cpu was about 10c hotter than whatever the hottest core was which I found odd. I also can't run a small FFT test at all. The computer just switches off as soon as I start the test. No blue screen or anything, just immediately powers off. I've tried limiting the overclock to 4.8Ghz at 1.35V but no change. I've tried following all the different settings guides that people recommend (not that there's many to follow) including Gigabytes guide. I've tried manually setting all the power limits to their max values (4090,127) but no difference.

Can someone please give me some tips as I've never used a gigabyte board before and this process is really frustrating me. I have high airflow in my case so using the Hero XI won't be the worst thing ever but I really want to get this Gigabyte working. :p

Soldato
@Fatpizza

When switching boards and vendors etc run worst cases voltages and then dial back . Gigabyte do use a bit more power then Asus, trade off is VRM design is better - bios is a question of sport haha .

VCore 1.4v
VCCIO 1.3v
And agent under neath 1.3v

Load line Cali to Turbo

Rest auto . 5Ghz

Then try testing..I'm guessing your running Custom water or 360 AIO ?

Associate
I'm running 360 AIO with Corsair ML120 fans in push pull. I'd played with VCCIO and System Agent Voltage too but hadn't tried as high as 1.3. Hadn't set my VCore that high either at any point so I'll give it a go. I'd already set LLC to Turbo. Just hope the higher voltages don't make the temps too high as the temps were ok on my previous ASUS but as you said that should be offset by the superior VRM.

Would be rather ironic if I ended up getting better temps on an inferior VRM though. :p

Associate
Unfortunately it did the same thing. Simply powers off the moment I start the prime95 small fft test...
I'll try running a test at stock settings I guess...

Edit:

OK test 1 was stock settings running small fft, temps higher than expected but ran successfully.
Test 2 was stock with xmp enabled. Worked fine but still warm. Voltage use was sitting around 1.26.
Test 3 was setting cpu ratio to 48. Worked but temps spiked highly immediately. Thermally throttling when hitting 100.
Test 4 I disabled the ring down bin setting which gave pretty much same results as previous test.

It's late now so thats enough for me tonight but those temps are insanely high. I'll keep changing one thing at a time until I can replicatethe powering off issue however whilst idle temps are fine those temps are way too high. I was hitting 85 max on my z370 asus board at 4.8 doing avx workloads. Although I don't quite think it's the cause I may try redoing the thermal paste when I get the chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
have you tried re-seating the CPU block ?
also, how do you have your Pump working ?

i normally use alphacool units for AIO so can plug at 100% pump speed on system fan/pump controller and AIO fans linked to CPU fan header.

or d5/ddc units that are running quite high

i couldnt get my 8700k/7700k to hit 100c with 360 AIO running 100% verything with 1.44v running through at 5ghz on Gigabyte/asus boards , so worth remounting , TIM clean and good thermal paste

Associate
have you tried re-seating the CPU block ?
also, how do you have your Pump working ?

i normally use alphacool units for AIO so can plug at 100% pump speed on system fan/pump controller and AIO fans linked to CPU fan header.

or d5/ddc units that are running quite high

i couldnt get my 8700k/7700k to hit 100c with 360 AIO running 100% verything with 1.44v running through at 5ghz on Gigabyte/asus boards , so worth remounting , TIM clean and good thermal paste

My AIO is the Corsair 150 Pro 360mm with push pull fans and as I said using everything the same except with a Maximus X Code Z370 motherboard my temps were fine.
I did some extra testing and found that things only start to fail as soon as I set the voltage manually. Even 1.4 caused an immediate blue screen (better than it just powering off though... :p).
I was planning on redoing the thermal paste (I use gelid extreme) so I would have to reseat the cpu anyway when I remove it for cleaning off the old paste. I'm not sure the thermal paste is the issue though since the liquid temp on my aio was also extremely high (37c, about 4c higher than when using the z370 board) so the heat is definitely being conducted.
The behavior with temps and voltage just seems weird though, so hopefully reseating the cpu solves that.
Of course maybe my board is just faulty? :p

Associate
My settings for 5ghz on the master:
Mce off
C states off
Xmp on
50x multi
Llc turbo
Voltage normal, dynamic vcore +0.080v
IA dc 1
IA ac 1

This puts my load at 1.296v with occasional spike to 1.305v

Before setting IA dc/ac to 1, i would have to set a dynamic vcore offset of - 0.110v to load at 1.30v. This would spike sometimes to as high as 1.38v. I was not stable because the negetive offsets took my idle too low. Pc would shutdown without even a bsod every 3-4hrs at idle.

Last edited:
Associate
Another thing I noticed before with my motherboard, when I try to set the IA DC/AC in the BIOS my PC immediately freezes necessitating a hard reset.
Maybe I'll try reflashing the BIOS as well.

Associate
I've just picked up the Z390 Aorus Pro.
I have a Samsung 860 M.2 SSD. Does it matter which M.2 slot I use - M2A or M2M?
The manual doesn't specify a preference.
Thanks.

Man of Honour
Hi Fait and welcome to the forums. :)

I don't think it matters but logic would say use the top one so it doesn't get the heat from the gpu dumped on it. The heatsink is bigger as well. It's the one I am going to use when I finally pick up some memory.

Associate
Hi! First time posting in here.....

So, I have recently built a i9-9900k + Aorus Master rig and I've been noticing some really odd behaviour it. For some reason, the board decides to send upwards of 1.45v and sometimes over 1.5v to the vcore. This results in very high CPU temps and throttling in AIDA64 stress testing (90-100oC).

To begin with, I thought it was something that I accidentally changed in the BIOS, so last night I went into BIOS and loaded optimised defaults. Only things I changed from that were turning off MCE and turning on XMP for my RAM. Rebooted into windows and my vcore stayed around 1.28 - 1.3 with temps maxing out at 71oC while AIDA64 stress testing (with AVX). Sorted, I thought.

Until this afternoon when I booted my PC again and testing once again showed last nights behaviour. I hadn't changed anything. Oddly, after going back into BIOS and running the same procedure as last night everything went back to normal.

I'm not running any tuning utilities and I have the F5 bios flashed, so I can't see how anything on my desktop could be messing about with my BIOS. I did just uninstall Intel XTU, which I have only been using as a secondary stress tester, in case that's doing anything weird.

Has anybody else noticed this? I'll be honest, I would just like to enjoy my system and I'm not massively bothered about actually overclocking right now. I'd also like to not have to constantly keep an eye on HWInfo in case I need to stop BIOS doing spooky stuff when it should be default. Not to mention I'm a little alarmed by the ridiculous voltage spikes at what should be default.

Man of Honour
Finally decided on some memory after reading many, many reviews so I will be able to assemble my new motherboard/cpu/memory/NVME drive by the end of next week. I got a very good deal last night on a 16Gb kit of GSkill Trident Z 3866mhz C18 F4-3866C18D-16GTZSW for £158. In reviews this kit does very good and can actually run it's stock speed at cas 17 while being able to clock to 4000mhz still at cas 17 so it will be interesting to see if I can run them at 3600mhz cas 16 or less. It took me over a week to decide on memory and sadly memory isn't as widely reviewed as cpu's, gpu's and motherboards (probably because all the tweaking takes longer) so it's fairly difficult to find out what is good and what isn't. It's almost £30 more than I orginally wanted to spend but I am very happy with the deal I found plus it seems to be very good memory.

Associate
Hi! First time posting in here.....

So, I have recently built a i9-9900k + Aorus Master rig and I've been noticing some really odd behaviour it. For some reason, the board decides to send upwards of 1.45v and sometimes over 1.5v to the vcore. This results in very high CPU temps and throttling in AIDA64 stress testing (90-100oC).

To begin with, I thought it was something that I accidentally changed in the BIOS, so last night I went into BIOS and loaded optimised defaults. Only things I changed from that were turning off MCE and turning on XMP for my RAM. Rebooted into windows and my vcore stayed around 1.28 - 1.3 with temps maxing out at 71oC while AIDA64 stress testing (with AVX). Sorted, I thought.

Until this afternoon when I booted my PC again and testing once again showed last nights behaviour. I hadn't changed anything. Oddly, after going back into BIOS and running the same procedure as last night everything went back to normal.

I'm not running any tuning utilities and I have the F5 bios flashed, so I can't see how anything on my desktop could be messing about with my BIOS. I did just uninstall Intel XTU, which I have only been using as a secondary stress tester, in case that's doing anything weird.

Has anybody else noticed this? I'll be honest, I would just like to enjoy my system and I'm not massively bothered about actually overclocking right now. I'd also like to not have to constantly keep an eye on HWInfo in case I need to stop BIOS doing spooky stuff when it should be default. Not to mention I'm a little alarmed by the ridiculous voltage spikes at what should be default.

I'm not 100% certain, but I had similar behaviour when I was testing different voltages for an overclock. I found that after a hard reset, the first boot into windows the motherboard would ignore my ia dc/ac 1 setting and I would see spikes into 1.45v (applying my offset to the stock dynamic vid for the oc instead). I would reboot and from that moment on it would behave as it should. I didn't too much testing so still not sure what happens.

Associate
I'm not 100% certain, but I had similar behaviour when I was testing different voltages for an overclock. I found that after a hard reset, the first boot into windows the motherboard would ignore my ia dc/ac 1 setting and I would see spikes into 1.45v (applying my offset to the stock dynamic vid for the oc instead). I would reboot and from that moment on it would behave as it should. I didn't too much testing so still not sure what happens.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm getting the exact same thing. Change to default, load from there and it's fine. Hard restart and it's not. Then a restart from Win10 and it's fine again.

However, after another hard restart I'm back to crazy voltages. Grr.

But! Another soft restart and it's behaving.

I guess the BIOS isn't loading correctly after a hard restart or something?

Associate
Yeah, I think you're right. I'm getting the exact same thing. Change to default, load from there and it's fine. Hard restart and it's not. Then a restart from Win10 and it's fine again.

However, after another hard restart I'm back to crazy voltages. Grr.

But! Another soft restart and it's behaving.

I guess the BIOS isn't loading correctly after a hard restart or something?

I might have fixed it.

Just for information, after a hard restart I noticed that the debug LED showed code 04 after boot, which isn't in the manual, but a subsequent soft restart showed code A0 after boot (which I think is okay?).

Anyway, I just cleared the CMOS using the button on the back and it now seems to hold the default settings after a hard restart! I should probably have tried this first, but I have changed basically nothing in BIOS (apart from flashing F5) so I didn't think I needed to.

Thanks to Sc00p007, because your tip sent me in the right direction to think about this.

Associate
I might have fixed it.

Just for information, after a hard restart I noticed that the debug LED showed code 04 after boot, which isn't in the manual, but a subsequent soft restart showed code A0 after boot (which I think is okay?).

Anyway, I just cleared the CMOS using the button on the back and it now seems to hold the default settings after a hard restart! I should probably have tried this first, but I have changed basically nothing in BIOS (apart from flashing F5) so I didn't think I needed to.

Thanks to Sc00p007, because your tip sent me in the right direction to think about this.

Great, i'll do that later. Another thing that has me a little confused, in Hwinfo64 the motherboard has two vcore sensors. Both show different values, so i'm unsure which to trust.

Associate
Great, i'll do that later. Another thing that has me a little confused, in Hwinfo64 the motherboard has two vcore sensors. Both show different values, so i'm unsure which to trust.

I noticed that as well. The only info I've found on the two different sensor readings is here, but unless I missed something it didn't suggest which to trust.

As for the CMOS fix. I spoke too soon. The problem is back. However, I realised that the debug code on a hard reset is D4, not 04, which means the mobo is saying 'PCI resource allocation error. Out of resources.' Going to research that now.

Edit:

In case you haven't tried this.... When googling the D4 error I found this thread at Tom's. Admittedly it's for a different Gigabyte board, but after reading it wouldn't surprise me if the Master suffers from the same problem as the Gaming 5. Anyway, one of the posters suggested turning off fast startup in Windows 10, which is enabled by default.

Dont know if people are still looking for a solution to the cold boot "D4" code issue on Gaming 5 gigabyte boards, but i made a windows option change and i have not received the D4 code since. Now, I have windows 10 64-bit, so I dont recall if this setting was in the previous versions of windows so this "fix" I can only confidently say worked with windows 10, dont know about 8 etc. The path I took to get to the setting was:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> and the sub-option "change what the power buttons do" under power options.

I then proceeded to uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" box. Windows states that this option helps with start-up after a full shut down and that restarting isnt effected by this option. Ever since I unchecked this box, I havent seen the "D4" code upon a start-up after shut down. I will also say, I havent seen a start up speed difference, but I have a ssd so maybe this "bonus" option only applies to HDDs. Hope this helps.

I'm now not getting the D4 debug code and my Vcore is where I expect it to be. At least for now, but this does seem to fit well with the whole only being buggy after a cold boot plotline.

Last edited:
Associate
I noticed that as well. The only info I've found on the two different sensor readings is here, but unless I missed something it didn't suggest which to trust.

As for the CMOS fix. I spoke too soon. The problem is back. However, I realised that the debug code on a hard reset is D4, not 04, which means the mobo is saying 'PCI resource allocation error. Out of resources.' Going to research that now.

Edit:

In case you haven't tried this.... When googling the D4 error I found this thread at Tom's. Admittedly it's for a different Gigabyte board, but after reading it wouldn't surprise me if the Master suffers from the same problem as the Gaming 5. Anyway, one of the posters suggested turning off fast startup in Windows 10, which is enabled by default.

I'm now not getting the D4 debug code and my Vcore is where I expect it to be. At least for now, but this does seem to fit well with the whole only being buggy after a cold boot plotline.

Thanks,

I just changed it now. Hopefully it will be fixed in a bios update.

Back
Top Bottom