Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Associate
I noticed that as well. The only info I've found on the two different sensor readings is here, but unless I missed something it didn't suggest which to trust.

As for the CMOS fix. I spoke too soon. The problem is back. However, I realised that the debug code on a hard reset is D4, not 04, which means the mobo is saying 'PCI resource allocation error. Out of resources.' Going to research that now.

Edit:

In case you haven't tried this.... When googling the D4 error I found this thread at Tom's. Admittedly it's for a different Gigabyte board, but after reading it wouldn't surprise me if the Master suffers from the same problem as the Gaming 5. Anyway, one of the posters suggested turning off fast startup in Windows 10, which is enabled by default.

I'm now not getting the D4 debug code and my Vcore is where I expect it to be. At least for now, but this does seem to fit well with the whole only being buggy after a cold boot plotline.

Installed bios f7a and the cold boot problem seems to have gone :)

Also it seems the default auto setting for uncore is 43 now, it was 47.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finally up and running with this new Z390 board and along with the NVME drive it's silly fast, everything is so much quicker. I learnt a valuable lesson when building this up and that is that if you have glasses for reading bloody well use them!! I tested the board, cpu, memory etc with a air cooler on a box just to make sure it all worked and everything was fine so took it all apart and built it up in my case/desk. Filled the water loop (hardline tubing), bled and leak tested it. I took my time making the cables nice and tidy and cleaned all of the fan filters. Went to boot up to fresh instal windows 10 on the Samsung Evo NVME drive and nothing. Dead as a dodo. Tried a different start switch, nothing. Tried shorting the pins with a screwdriver, nothing. Changed psu's, nothing. Removed one stick of ram, nothing. After much cursing I drained the loop again praying that I hadn't crushed the cpu when tightening the block. Removed the block and inspected the cpu and socket and they were both fine. Removed the motherboard and built up on a box again but leaving out the gpu on trying the onboard, again nothing at all. Out of desperation went back to the manual, this time with my glasses on and found the problem right away. This board has two locations on the front panel connectors for the power led and when I had fitted the power led plug to the rearmost one didn't bother reading any further and fitted the power plug to the front one thinking it was for the power button. Much cursing and mutterings of noobishness later and I connected the power plug to the correct header and pressed start for it to boot first time. This resulted in more cursing and calling myself more names before rebuilding, refilling, bleeding and leak testing all over again and finally I had a working pc. Damn, windows 10 installs fast from a usb stick over USB 3.0 onto a NVME drive. It took less than 10 minutes when normally I would read a few chapters from a book while installing from DVD. It activated first time using my original windows 7 Pro key as well. Now that everything is installed and updated I can get around to see what this 9600k is capable of. I love the board and it ran my 3866mhz Trident Z at full speed just by setting the profile in the bios (updated to the latest F6). I will play around with the timings and see how far they will overclock after doing the cpu. I will try and get some piccies up soon along with some comparison benchies against the 4790k. So far I am very happy with this set up.

Permabanned
I might have fixed it.

Just for information, after a hard restart I noticed that the debug LED showed code 04 after boot, which isn't in the manual, but a subsequent soft restart showed code A0 after boot (which I think is okay?).

Anyway, I just cleared the CMOS using the button on the back and it now seems to hold the default settings after a hard restart! I should probably have tried this first, but I have changed basically nothing in BIOS (apart from flashing F5) so I didn't think I needed to.

Thanks to Sc00p007, because your tip sent me in the right direction to think about this.

I have seen the A0 code often and never really been sure what it is, but it certainly seems OK. Plently of people seem to get that code with no adverse affect.

Associate
Was going to order my new PC today with the Z390 Master but after reading through the motherboard forums I am starting to get nervous and wondering if I should switch to the MSI Z390 MPG Gaming.

Planned system was
Z390 Motherboard (Gigabyte Master Recommended)
16GB Gigabyte Aorus

Soldato
Was going to order my new PC today with the Z390 Master but after reading through the motherboard forums I am starting to get nervous and wondering if I should switch to the MSI Z390 MPG Gaming.

Planned system was
Z390 Motherboard (Gigabyte Master Recommended)
16GB Gigabyte Aorus

Aorus is the better designed board and Customer support/rma - MSI has the nice and easier to use bios .

12+2 vs 10+1 design

Man of Honour
I have settled on 5Ghz core, 4.7Ghz cache with 1.34v vcore for now. It takes a big vcore jump to 1.4V just for a extra 100mhz which just isn't worth it. This cpu needs big voltage jumps to get anywhere which is a shame as it does 4.8Ghz on all cores at stock voltage. The next step to 4.9Ghz needs 1.3v which is a hell of a jump from 1.16v at 4.8ghz. I may have a play again as the bios matures after another couple of releases. Next thing is to sort the memory out. Even though the XMP profile activated for 3866mhz the memory is only running at 3466mhz. I have tried setting it to manual and input the speed, timings and voltage and all that happened was a lock up on booting and the board eventually starting from the backup bios so I set it back to XMP. Maybe the cpu just isn't capable of running the memory at it's rated speed in which case I should be able to lower the timings quite a bit. The memory chips are Samsung B Die as well so that's a bonus.

I nearly ordered another motherboard from Asus this morning. To say Gigabyte is behind Asus with their bios is a understatement. The bios is just terrible and is easily the worst I have used. How can a company as large and as popular as Gigabyte be so far behind their competitors when it comes to something important like the bios? It's a shame because otherwise it's a cracking board. The vrm's on this board were only hitting 31 degrees with the cpu loaded at 5.1Ghz with 1.4v.

Associate
Aorus is the better designed board and Customer support/rma - MSI has the nice and easier to use bios .

12+2 vs 10+1 design

Too late to order anything now over phone so will think it over and hopefully decide for tomorrow, always used MSI boards and currently using the MSI Z77A-GD65A board for the past 5+ years, if I decide to stick with the Master on original order I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the backside, plenty of stress atm as it is lol.

Associate
Too late to order anything now over phone so will think it over and hopefully decide for tomorrow, always used MSI boards and currently using the MSI Z77A-GD65A board for the past 5+ years, if I decide to stick with the Master on original order I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the backside, plenty of stress atm as it is lol.

I've got the MSI GD65A too, great board and very reliable. I too am looking to upgrade and was looking the Aorus, but there seems to be so many problems, I think I'm going to stick to MSI. I used to buy Asus, but had no end of trouble over the years. My current PC has MSI Mobo and GPU and not had a day's trouble. MSI support is also good. I'm going to go with my gut feeling I think. I only ever bought Gigabyte once, a GPU, and the support wasn't great.

Man of Honour
Just thought I would update where I am at the moment. I have settled on 5Ghz core, 4.7Ghz cache with 1.35v vcore. Any higher clocks need large voltage increases and it's just not worth it. The cpu is quite cool running and is only hitting mid 60's even under a very heavy Linx test so that's a improvement. I have spent the last day and a half playing with the memory. I forgot how tedious memory tweaking is!! No matter what I try this boar and/or cpu will not run my memory at full speed. The best I can get out of it is 3466mhz and not a bit more. I even tried the F7 bios that was released yesterday and that didn't improve anything. Currently the memory is at 3400mhz 14-18-18-38 at 1.35v so I am quite happy with that for now. I am fed up tweaking for now and am just going to enjoy the pc for the weekend before going back to tweaking again next week. I still hate the ******* bios on this board!!

Mobster
Soldato
OP
Got my master running with my 9900k now, pretty solid, and was a bit nervous going from Asus bios to GB bios but the GB bios is pretty much awesome. Not a problem at all here.

Soldato
Quick question in regards to the Z390 Ultra, i've only just noticed it takes 8+4 ATX12v, not something i've experienced before coming from an old z68/2500k build. After admittedly limited research on the subject of 8+4 mobos, some rather old (couple of years old...) info suggests that the +4 cable is only utilised for extreme overclocking. I'm just wondering if this is still the case or if it is required to function normally for more modern systems. My PSU supports it but I no longer have the spare PSU cables and would likely need to order some in to do me in to get me up and running if required. Will it run without the +4 or do I need to order the extra adaptor?

Soldato
Just planning what board to get with a 9900K which i'd like to run at 5GHZ providing the silicone lottery is kind. Currently got a Kraken X62 in push/pull.

I'v got two NVME drives and was looking at the Z390 Aorus Ultra, do you think that will be sufficient/overkill for my needs?

Associate
I have random flicking off with my z390 aorus master thought power supply was goosed but tried my other known worker and still does , must be something in bios like power limits surely

Associate
Z390 Aorus Ultra owner checking in - This Motherboard has the worst idle 'coil whine' Ive ever had the pleasure of owning :mad: Disabling all the cstates helped a lot, but the whine is still present whenever you 'put a small load on the cpu' - Moving the mouse across the screen emits an audible high pitched squeel ..... Not good Gigabyte !

Soldato
Z390 Aorus Ultra owner checking in - This Motherboard has the worst idle 'coil whine' Ive ever had the pleasure of owning :mad: Disabling all the cstates helped a lot, but the whine is still present whenever you 'put a small load on the cpu' - Moving the mouse across the screen emits an audible high pitched squeel ..... Not good Gigabyte !
Quite noticeable on mine as well, not the worst i've had to deal with, and not audible when gaming/music/watching videos etc, but when the room is quiet and i'm just browsing it is rather noticeable. Its not the end of the world but when you spend that amount on a bit of kit you definitely expect better...

Associate
Ive had coil whine present before - but only when running loads through the CPU / GPU - I can live with this, as its not very noticable above the fan volume when gamming etc. This is the complete opposite ... When Im browsing the web with no fan noise, all I can hear is the high pitched noise comming from around the CPU / VRM area. Im trying to figure out a suitable replacement and then RMA this, as its not good enough for a £200 + board

Back
Top Bottom