Z390

Associate
Its it worth holding out for the Z390 basded motherboards if im intending to use the 8086K CPU ? Does it have that extra special sauce ... (i.e better phase capacitors , extra features etc etc)

Soldato
Vendors who released poor z370 boards like gigabyte you may have value in waiting for existing chips, but vendors with already decent power delivery like asrock I think no need to wait, unless of course you want native usb 3.1 gen 2 or other exclusive features.

Associate
The real questions, will the new Z390 chipset support the next Gen Cpu`s not just the 8 core coffee, if not then it is a dead end, again for the Intel platform. It just keeps getting better for AMD.

Soldato
The real question is whether Intel will launch 10nm before Ryzen 4 is out... ;)

I believe the spec sheet for Z390 says it will support Canon Lake. But I'd lay a tenner that it's only the first round of Canons, and anything after (even if pin compatible) will not work.

Associate
The real question is whether Intel will launch 10nm before Ryzen 4 is out... ;)

I believe the spec sheet for Z390 says it will support Canon Lake. But I'd lay a tenner that it's only the first round of Canons, and anything after (even if pin compatible) will not work.

(The real question is whether Intel will launch 10nm before Ryzen 4 is out... ;)) or will Intel launch the 7 nanometer process before Ryzen 10 :D

Soldato
(The real question is whether Intel will launch 10nm before Ryzen 4 is out... ;)) or will Intel launch the 7 nanometer process before Ryzen 10 :D

Lol, I mean, I know that Intel's 10nm is probably closer to AMD's 7nm but... AMD aren't giving any hints of problems, meanwhile Intel launched a 10nm i3 with lower clocks, disabled GPU, and the same power consumption vs their 14nm. It's not looking great for Team Blue right now, and it certainly seems legitimate to question whether Cannon Lake will happen before Ryzen 3 - and if it doesn't, when the heck will it be?

...I shouldn't feel so smug about it, I'd logically prefer a marketplace where both sides are launching new tech smoothly and regularly. But it does feel a little bit good to see Intel on the back foot for once ¬_¬

Soldato
The real questions, will the new Z390 chipset support the next Gen Cpu`s not just the 8 core coffee, if not then it is a dead end, again for the Intel platform. It just keeps getting better for AMD.

That really doesnt bother me now after I was thinking about it when I went coffee lake.

If you like me and keep your cpu for at least 4 years, you probably going to want to upgrade your board anyway to get 4+ years worth of chipset improvements.

Soldato

Z390 apparently is a rebagded Z370 which was a rebagded Z270 which was a rebagded Z170
The only addition to Z390 is that motherboard manufacturers are going to pick some parts from ASMedia to provide extensive support to features that were in the original Z390.
But the latter will never come because it was designed for 10nm and that is long way away.

Soldato
I've only skimmed this topic, so apologies if the answer is obvious - if the Z370 is only going to be a rebadge, does that mean Z370 boards could potentially be compatible with the 8 core CFL, or is the socket itself going to be different?

Soldato
I think there is a good chance that Z370 will support 8-core Especially given this news and the fact that with mods, Z170 can be made to support 6-core.

If Z390 is now a rebadged Z370, there is no excuse not to support 8-core... Hmm, that's made me ponder now...

Soldato
Except if Intel & manufacturers want to make money by selling motherboards.
Physically nothing was stopping the CFL to operate on the Z270 or Z170. It was Intel decision to do so.

To be fair, Intel aren't the only side that happens on. Nothing stopping me putting a 2700X in my AM4 motherboard, except the crappy VRMs already run toasty with just a 1600X.

But maybe the official line of AMD being forwards-compatible will make the manufacturers reconsider that they should at least look like that works on Intel boards too :)

Soldato
To be fair, Intel aren't the only side that happens on. Nothing stopping me putting a 2700X in my AM4 motherboard, except the crappy VRMs already run toasty with just a 1600X.

But maybe the official line of AMD being forwards-compatible will make the manufacturers reconsider that they should at least look like that works on Intel boards too :)

The first round of AMD boards was pretty bad must agree. But wasn't something AMD did. It was the manufacturers.

On the Z270 & Z170 there are boards that could handle the 8 core CPU let alone the 6 core CPUs. The Z170 Formula for example and most top of the range Z170s & Z270s.

Even the Z270-I was able to get a 8700K, and they are so similar to the Z370-I that the same monoblock can be used!!!!!!

Soldato
The first round of AMD boards was pretty bad must agree. But wasn't something AMD did. It was the manufacturers.

On the Z270 & Z170 there are boards that could handle the 8 core CPU let alone the 6 core CPUs. The Z170 Formula for example and most top of the range Z170s & Z270s.

Even the Z270-I was able to get a 8700K, and they are so similar to the Z370-I that the same monoblock can be used!!!!!!

AFAIK the manufacturers blamed it on AMD for not publishing good enough specs... which might be true, but you'd think they'd have the grace to overkill rather than underkill. Mine doesn't even have a heatsink on the SoC VRMs... I bet it would fry if I put an APU in it :(

As for Intel, I can imagine some boards not having the power delivery to handle CFL, but with the others... yeah, that's just bad form. Isn't there one of the Z170 boards that has a modded bios to take an 8700K and it works just fine?

Soldato
AFAIK the manufacturers blamed it on AMD for not publishing good enough specs... which might be true, but you'd think they'd have the grace to overkill rather than underkill. Mine doesn't even have a heatsink on the SoC VRMs... I bet it would fry if I put an APU in it :(

As for Intel, I can imagine some boards not having the power delivery to handle CFL, but with the others... yeah, that's just bad form. Isn't there one of the Z170 boards that has a modded bios to take an 8700K and it works just fine?

Yes the Z170 Formula OC. The one I was referring to. I had that board, absolutely beast and very cheap compared to Asus ones. It even had dehumidifier across the board to remove condensation when you did extreme overclock with LN2!!!!!
Is the board professional overclockers used to break the 6700K & 7700K records also

Back
Top Bottom