• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Caporegime
The SoC Power usage [W] between 3533/3600/3733 is largely unchanged (<0.5w variance). There is a marginal uplift of Amperage for each speed bump (<0.5A) and SOC voltage is largely unchanged.

A Single Core Cinebench R20 is not power limited though. Max CPU Package Power of around 77w.....PLENTY left out of the stock 142W on a 3900X. So why the throttling of the cores?

3533 vs 3600 vs 3773 SoC.png

This is what I want to know, I'm not hitting power or thermal limits but still cant boost to the advertised 4.4ghz.

Soldato
@Sin_Chase

I wouldn't rely on that hwinfo64 number. I'm pretty sure you just want to focus on the CPU Package Power.

Graphed that out above also.

lvC0w3p.png

Notable increase from 3533 > 3600 but not again from 3600 > 3733. Still only a single Core Cinebench R20 workload though with over 60-70w of PPT headroom to play with.

Soldato
Graphed that out above also.

Notable increase from 3533 > 3600 but not again from 3600 > 3733. Still only a single Core Cinebench R20 workload though with over 60-70w of PPT headroom to play with.

Depends on the PPT limit set for lightly threaded loads. I doubt they would want you to pump 140w through a single core, probably cause it to melt burn.

Graph does suggest it is coming up against a limit above 3533.

Soldato
Depends on the PPT limit set for lightly threaded loads. I doubt they would want you to pump 140w through a single core, probably cause it to melt.

True. But one would assume that the 142W of available package power can be distributed as needed, be it to a single core workload + SOC or multi core + SOC. Why should the SOC power requirements be limited by the wattage given to a single core or vica-versa.

Basically, why would a single core be PPT limited as a result of SoC when there is plenty of available headroom in the package as a whole for SOC to draw from.

Soldato
True. But one would assume that the 142W of available package power can be distributed as needed, be it to a single core workload + SOC or multi core + SOC. Why should the SOC power requirements be limited by the wattage given to a single core or vica-versa.

Basically, why would a single core be PPT limited as a result of SoC when there is plenty of available headroom in the package as a whole for SOC to draw from.

That is true. Obviously this is speculation but maybe it gets set as a whole. Therefore increasing the undie power consumption decreases that available for the core.

Could be a bug. But I think my explanation seems plausible.

Soldato
Got 1.0.0.3 bios for my board yesterday.

PBO + Auto OC now works. Seeing up to 4.4ghz for lightly threaded loads looks pretty good. Still 4.2ghz for all core where temps don't get too high.

Associate
Been testing out the temperature of my 3700x.

The AMD Ryzen Master, says 95C is the max heat. Is that real?
During my 1.5 hour gaming session, I hit 75C.

Idle temps seem to be from 35C to 60C, runs hotter at idle (ok, no gaming), than my old i2500k.

What are the safe temps? 75C ok?
I'd appreciate thoughts, since I'm new to being back to AMD cpu.

Associate
Yeah the results seem to be pretty much the same across-the-board.

I've stopped worrying about it until they release some sort of update or... well...It blows up. ;)

Back
Top Bottom