• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Soldato
The biggest plus Intel can add is to help resolve the supply issue constraints on TSMC. We should see a small window of improvement at least until Intel ramps its graphics card production. If Intel can push graphics card prices down that will be a big win and an all Intel gaming build could be an attractive option.

Soldato
Agreed but I am speculating about cache here. With 5h series I think improvement came mostly from IPC boost.
Yes the prices went up. And by the looks of it they are heading for new peaks.
I think DIY PC builders are not that many and in my opinion companies take into consideration mostly the general public.
Stacking cache will certainly not be cheap to implement so I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with only the higher core count parts having 3D cache versions just to try stave off Intel.

Soldato
Stacking cache will certainly not be cheap to implement so I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with only the higher core count parts having 3D cache versions just to try stave off Intel.

Depends if AMD signed the contract pre or post TSMC increased prices.

Associate

I think I've read something similar on the internet. 5600X and 5800X seem competitive and the moment and are holding their prices so maybe a drop on 5900x prices will allow AMD to counter Alder Lake.

Depends if AMD signed the contract pre or post TSMC increased prices.

In my opinion considering the time it takes to bring the processor to the market it should have been before the increase. But then again they have to factor in research and development tag.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes possibly.

Looking at benchmarks generally (with out the rare outliers) both the 5600x and 5800x are around 5% apart.

And given the increase in resolution its weird for them to suggest a 5800x over a 5600x at 4k.

I think the difference here is RT. Perhaps at high resolutions it does need more CPU power to compute it even though yes it is a GPU feature.

All I can think of.

The recommended system requirements might take into account the extra work that Nvidia off loads to the CPU. Maybe it’s a situation where Nvidia are competing for extra CPU resources.

Soldato
3D stacking is a more complex process so would be likely to incur higher production costs regardless of TSMCs latest wafer price hikes.

I think the extra production costs for TSMC to produce the SRAM, will far outweigh the packaging costs.

Soldato
Nah my i9 @ 5.3 kicks zen's butt.

Strange that, because i don't see one of your entries in Time spy's top 100 benchies on this forum or even Firestrikes top 100 Benchies........................maybe you is that blessed that our own benchie section is below your high standards ? Maybe a link to your HW Bot world records would put all our minds at rest ?

Soldato
Maybe this is why AMD have waited so long to release Zen 3 Threadripper. I can always hope anyway! Would be awesome to have both at the same time since I've been waiting so long for it.

Back
Top Bottom