• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Caporegime
The CPU's are real and Dr Lisa Sue did say during her reveal of these that they are on track an end of year launch.

They are supposed to offer a 10 to 25% performance increase in gaming over existing Zen 3 parts.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-z...000-5000xt-may-be-available-in-december-2021/

Just the other day, it was discovered that AMD’s Milan-X processors featuring 3D stacked L3 cache (V-Cache) are all set to launch, with the retail OPNs and prices already finalized. Like Milan, Milan-X will be a full-fledged product stack with core counts ranging from 16 to 64. The existing Epyc processors already pack a massive L3 cache (up to 256MB). It’ll be interesting to see if AMD doubles it with Milan-X or simply change the topology.

Earlier today, Greymon55 stated that the 3D packaging equipment for Zen 3D already arrived in AMD’s China factories last week, and we may see the consumer version of the technology by the holiday season. Keep in mind that this, by no means, is a confirmation of a late 2021 launch. It just means that the Ryzen 6000/5000 XT parts will land sometime around the holiday season, either during or after Christmas, possibly even in January.

U1lPz7w.jpg

Caporegime
OP
You are probably right but I still find it frustrating. At least I can't buy anything until October even if I wanted to and by that time it seems daft not to wait for the next AMD CPU event to see if they do update it then. December / January would be fine for me.

November apparently.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8061...x-64-cores-on-zen-3-coming-in-2021/index.html
I doubt the 3D v-cache will offer 25% over zen 3, it will probably be more like 5-10% but I guess thats still a decent bump over Zen 2 when you add it on to the 20% or so that zen 3 already has.

15% on average in games according to AMD.

Caporegime
OP
Only 24 threads though vs 32 and 8 of those are from small cores so still a decent result if the benchmarks are accurate.

What you also have to remember is while the 12900K will still have a thread deficit against the 5950X the CPUs that most people actually buy like the 5600X and 5800X will have less threads than their Intel counterparts which should have 16 for the 12600k and 20 for the 12700K so the performance gap should be much wider in Intels favour.

It is very decent, but its not an 8 core CPU, no matter how much Intel are desperate to hark back to the Bulldozer vs Sandybridge days it has the same number of cores as AMD's chips, not half.

I'm just waiting to see which tech journalists say it has half the core of Zen 3 to see which ones are on Intel's pay role.

Caporegime
OP
Definitely should not be calling a 16 core CPU an 8 core. Intel had a target in the 5950X and they'll everything they can to beat it this time round, i'm sure the power usage will reflect that.

Funny you should say that.

Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake CPUs Increase Peak Power Consumption to 468W, 15% More than 11th Gen Rocket Lake

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...on-to-468w-15-more-than-11th-gen-rocket-lake/

PL2 on these, that's continuous power, is 250 Watts.

The 5950X doesn't pull more than 140 watts continuous, that's the AM socket limit, Zen 4 is getting an LGA socket ;)

Caporegime
OP
Edit: Around the same time ^^^^^^^^^^

So the ETA on these is Dec?

I'm mulling over a 5600x purchase which I was close to buying yesterday.

Apparently so but i'm not sure if they are going to do 3D stacking right the way down the range, these will be EPYC Milan-X salvage parts, IE those that don't quite make the silicon quality for server, which is how we get all our Desktop CPU's, there is no reason why they couldn't make a 5600X3D with them but they might like to keep them for higher end parts as the supply of them is not going to be infinite.

If you can wait do that and see then.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah the 12400F/12600K is supposed to have 10 cores so it's hard to see how AMD will keep its current pricing.

I don't think its going to matter as much as some people think, even if the equivalent i5 is going to be under £240 its already been said that the performance increase over Rocketlake is about 80% due to DDR5, someone has apparently tested it and DDR5 is not going to be cheap.

However i do think the 5600X will come down to £200 or maybe even a little under.

Caporegime
OP
Can still be used with DDR4 though so no need to splash out on new ram right away.

which is why i think Zen 3 will get a price cut but if rumours are true without DDR5 you're not going to see much of a performance gain over Rocketlake and if DDR5 prices are high its not going to be much of a threat to Zen 3 until those prices come down, it means changing the board, and the high priced RAM as well as the CPU, by the time DDR5 becomes affordable Zen 4 should be on the market.

Caporegime
OP
Why would anyone pick zen 3 though even if they are the same performance since your buying into an EOL platform stuck on old DDR4 vs a newer platform that's optimised for a newer Windows which offers a CPU upgrade path and even if you can't afford DDR5 now you can still drop in some in a years time for what your saying will be a further boost.

I think some people will get the full DDR5 system just to have it but beyond that you're left with people who are just looking at cost and / or simplicity or they will wait for things to settle out of this transition period.

I don't think people with Coffeelake / Rocketlake / Zen 3 or even Zen 2 are going to change their Motherboard now for the new CPU to wait for DDR5 prices to come down, they will wait or shop as tho Alderlake doesn't exist, another reason for the price cut on Zen 3.

Some of those with CPU's older than that might be looking for new long term CPU's but even they will wait for DDR5 prices to come down.

Caporegime
OP
Steam Hardware survey is never an accurate indication for anything let alone what CPU are selling the most, the survey is by request, you have to chose to take part in it when asked and i haven't been asked since i own the 5800X, i was asked once in the 2 years i owned the 3600.
Its also a measure of what people own, not what they are buying.
According to the survey 4 physical core CPU's are down this month, from 38.76% to 36.99%, 6 physical core CPU are up from 31.11% to 34.09% and 8 physical core CPU are also up from 13.06% to 14.04%

So according to Steam 4 core CPU ownership is in decline while 6 and 8 core CPU ownership is growing, so much in fact that if the growth of 6 cores CPU's keep up like it is it will overtake 4 core CPU's at the end of this month.

Laptop's and OEM desktops these days are more and more 6 core CPU's, mainly the 10400 and equivalent Ryzen CPU's
In the DIY space 6 core Ryzen's have been the #1 best sellers on the worlds largest E-Tailer solidly for about 3 years at this point with 8 core CPU's at or near #2.

I don't think the average is 10, i think its 6.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

4 of the 12 CPU's here are 6 cores, 5 are 8 core. not one 4 core.

nBm32DM.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom