• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen = Sandybridge IPC

Caporegime
Just run Cinebench on my 2700K @ 4.7GHz can someone run it on their 2700 / 2700X for comparison. Ram is DDR3 1600 at XMP settings.

47824033102_62f70d0a16_o.jpg

I don't have a Zen+ but my Zen scores 159 @ 3.9Ghz.
Zen+ IPC is 3% higher
Edit: 1325 MT
Guru3D have the 2700X at 185 @ 4.4Ghz
MtK5AQ1.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's my Ryzen 1700@3ghz.

It's much higher than in the youtube vid and I have even slower and slacker ram. So I'm calling BS on Ryzen IPC = Sandybridge IPC. So ~>Dg<~ do you still think the youtube vid is showing reality out of interest? Being generous, his setup certainly doesn't seem typical so far.

By the way if I got a 108 Cinebech I would have posted that up too, to support this guys findings.

pGnBMXi.png

Soldato
My Ryzen 2600 is faster than my old IB Xeon E3/Core i7 in Fallout 4, which is massively limited by the first two threads and one of the worst games for Ryzen. Both run at similar clockspeeds. I posted my results here.

Caporegime
That ^^^^ pretty much is exactly my experience.

I had a 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, the thing is still in my Cinebench caps i added here, now, one or two games like CS:GO yes the Haswell chip was faster, but it was like 50 FPS, sounds like a lot, no... it was 350 vs 400 and that was an outlier, very old game that has never seen an AMD CPU since Phenom?

Aside from that everyother game was at least the same on the 3.9Ghz 1600 as it was on the 4.6Ghz 4690K, more often than not, especially these days because the 1600 has many more threads it just kicks the 4690K's arse, one or two games like Star Citizen its almost doubling the Frame Rates i'm getting.

Caporegime
122, same as my and Pants

That ^^^^ pretty much is exactly my experience.

I had a 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, the thing is still in my Cinebench caps i added here, now, one or two games like CS:GO yes the Haswell chip was faster, but it was like 50 FPS, sounds like a lot, no... it was 350 vs 400 and that was an outlier, very old game that has never seen an AMD CPU since Phenom?

Aside from that everyother game was at least the same on the 3.9Ghz 1600 as it was on the 4.6Ghz 4690K, more often than not, especially these days because the 1600 has many more threads it just kicks the 4690K's arse, one or two games like Star Citizen its almost doubling the Frame Rates i'm getting.

Look at this ****

B0KnK71.jpg

6sR6qPL.png

Man of Honour
Anyone with half a clue should be able to tell that the video and point presented in general just isn't true. This is just another clickbait title fanboy baiting video as far as I'm concerned.

Permabanned
Anyone with half a clue should be able to tell that the video and point presented in general just isn't true. This is just another clickbait title fanboy baiting video as far as I'm concerned.

Because the new Zen chips are almost out and Intel have nothing to come back with? Gotta rock the boat somehow... :p

Doesn't surprise me, just sad that they have no imagination for anything better :D

Caporegime
Indeed, anyone remotely close to an IQ of 3 figures would have seen this immediately.

Anyone still arguing? Christ i would be embarrassed to post for the next month :p

close to an IQ of 3 figures
????

Isn't that a little generous? average IQ is 90 to 100, it would have to be around 70 for someone to look at this and not immediately think, "yeah.... **** off!!!!!, pull the other one" :D

Caporegime
They're so close now it doesn't really matter and for the money I'd rather have the extra cores that AMD offer than a bit of extra IPC. It's pointless arguing anyway the majority of those taking the side of Ryzen will have spent about 5 years arguing that Bulldozer architecture was the future until AMD unsurprisingly dumped it. How many of them are using AMD FX now? not many compared to those who still use Sandy bridge etc I bet.

Associate
So to sum up for those with difficulty :p

IPC, in general, of Zen+ is on par or within a couple of percent of intels latest. Depending on type of test, sometimes Zen is faster sometimes not.

Performance on Zen can be affected quite a bit by memory timings and speeds

Current process and Zen + does not allow AMDs chips to clock as high as intels current chips, this is where almost all of the performance difference comes from especially in games.

AMD's SMT is far better than intels, apart from being significantly faster (double figures % wise iirc) its also not going to spaff all to a bit of malware and you wont need to turn it off to be safe.

Current 2xxx series AMD parts use less power than intels latest 9xxx parts in general some by a ridicules amount (looking at 9900k lol). They also dont get as hot.

Dont listen to noobs on youtube driving views... :D:D:D

Caporegime
Steve did that, he knows what he's doing ^^^^^

So to sum up for those with difficulty :p

IPC, in general, of Zen+ is on par or within a couple of percent of intels latest. Depending on type of test, sometimes Zen is faster sometimes not.

Performance on Zen can be affected quite a bit by memory timings and speeds

Current process and Zen + does not allow AMDs chips to clock as high as intels current chips, this is where almost all of the performance difference comes from especially in games.

AMD's SMT is far better than intels, apart from being significantly faster (double figures % wise iirc) its also not going to spaff all to a bit of malware and you wont need to turn it off to be safe.

Current 2xxx series AMD parts use less power than intels latest 9xxx parts in general some by a ridicules amount (looking at 9900k lol). They also dont get as hot.

Dont listen to noobs on youtube driving views... :D:D:D

I wouldn't say Zen's SMT is far better than Intel's, at least not Coffeelake, i think it adds 25% per thread to Coffeelake 20%.

Other than that semantic difference, sorry, yeah you're spot on, Coffeelake has a small sub 5% IPC difference but a rather large clock speed diffidence, and Zen does tend to suffer from "performance degradation?" if the RAM isn't at or near 3200Mhz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom